• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

If I would remake Heroscribe

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby StratosVX » March 19th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Don't forget import functions. I think summer semester is about 5 weeks away or so. I'd be happy to help if I can. One thing that I think is overkill, but might be necessary is the number of files needed for icons. We have raster, vector and sample. Do you think it would be possible to condense these down to just vector? Might also make implementing an import option easier.


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 12:44 am
Location: Utah, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby lestodante » March 19th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Please try to make the map of the same size of the Questbook. Heroscribe maps are a little flatten, so they have the same lenght in horizontal bur shorter in vertical.
Also for the notes: some kind of auto-formatting text to make them fit in one single A5 page.


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Wrote an article for the Blog. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti
 
Posts: 2840
Images: 5
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
Location: Italy
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby Anderas » March 20th, 2019, 12:01 pm

I did not even see this deviation until now! Wow.

I am thinking about using svg as file format.
It is modern, widely distributed, supported....
And....
We could put the monster fight values directly inside. Because it has a metadata tag. :D
Then we would get rid of the Ghostscript problems so many of us encountered.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby StratosVX » March 20th, 2019, 12:48 pm

lestodante wrote:Also for the notes: some kind of auto-formatting text to make them fit in one single A5 page.

Keep in mind that by using this option, the amount of information that people can enter will be limited. There is absolutely no way I could have used this when I compiled the archived quests from the site. Some of Dewayne Agin's notes went on for multiple full pages. I like this idea, but I think it should be an option to turn on for people that can keep their quest notes small.


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 12:44 am
Location: Utah, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby Maurice76 » March 20th, 2019, 1:31 pm

StratosVX wrote:
lestodante wrote:Also for the notes: some kind of auto-formatting text to make them fit in one single A5 page.

Keep in mind that by using this option, the amount of information that people can enter will be limited. There is absolutely no way I could have used this when I compiled the archived quests from the site. Some of Dewayne Agin's notes went on for multiple full pages. I like this idea, but I think it should be an option to turn on for people that can keep their quest notes small.


How about the option to simply add further notes? Something like inserting a page specifically for extra notes, so to speak. You could have the default of the map with 1 page of Quest text, but then an option to extend the notes with further pages. This could come in two flavors: one that simply copies the map so you don't have to flip the page all the time while reading the quest (in which case any changes to the map would have to be automatically copied to the clone on the next/previous page) with 1 additional page for quest notes, or a blank insertion of 2 empty quest note pages.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 408
Joined: March 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby Anderas » March 20th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Well, I see this as a not-problem, to be honest.
When there is no space, a new page will be made.

Half the first DinA4 or letter is the map, the other half is flavor text and quest notes.
If the quest notes extend, the next page are quest notes only. Why not. I mean, it's bad style in most cases with few remarkable exceptions, but why not.
Then, if there are special monsters used, somewhere there will be a table explaining them.

This is a problem we will solve once the basic soft runs, not before.... :)


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby cornixt » March 20th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Anderas wrote:I did not even see this deviation until now! Wow.

I am thinking about using svg as file format.
It is modern, widely distributed, supported....
And....
We could put the monster fight values directly inside. Because it has a metadata tag. :D
Then we would get rid of the Ghostscript problems so many of us encountered.

Supporting PNG files would make it much more open for people to use existing pictures, and they have much more support, especially on older computers and tablets.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
cornixt

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 813
Joined: November 4th, 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby devarionarias » March 20th, 2019, 2:45 pm

I have a little bit of experience with Python, but not much with GUI for it. I found this article here which may be useful if the built in Tkinter is used.

https://docs.python.org/3/faq/gui.html says it can be used cross platform (also check out FAQ at the bottom for it)

AND

https://www.python-course.eu/python_tkinter.php lists what sort of built in widgets it has
devarionarias

Zombie
Zombie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: March 4th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby Anderas » March 20th, 2019, 2:55 pm

cornixt wrote:
Anderas wrote:I did not even see this deviation until now! Wow.

I am thinking about using svg as file format.
It is modern, widely distributed, supported....
And....
We could put the monster fight values directly inside. Because it has a metadata tag. :D
Then we would get rid of the Ghostscript problems so many of us encountered.

Supporting PNG files would make it much more open for people to use existing pictures, and they have much more support, especially on older computers and tablets.


Today we have the sample and raster pngs and the eps files
eps is for high quality, sample is for the html showing off all the icons, and raster is the version you see in the export png.
The trick about exchanging EPS for SVG is that we then have support where we have none today (talking only about the vector corner of the software here).

SVG is supported directly in every browser.
check this svg for example:
Image


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby Anderas » March 20th, 2019, 3:16 pm

So the GitHub repository is set up.

https://github.com/Anderas2/Heroscribe2


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests