• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

To kill or not to kill...

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby Count Mohawk » January 12th, 2016, 5:55 pm

clmckay wrote:I like this idea. I've looked and asked a couple times for his Questbooks, but have never had any luck finding them. He's posted the canon questbooks, but not the others he did. I always keep my eyes out for them, I've head alot about them form several people. I think they must've been posted at his previous website, but not the current one. Slev one time posted his Dropbox with Quests, but I only saw the remade canon quests there.

I have all of his old first-edition sh!t from before he started editing... you want I should mirror everything in my dropbox? :chaoswarrior:


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 696
Joined: July 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Location: New England, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby clmckay » January 12th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:
clmckay wrote:I like this idea. I've looked and asked a couple times for his Questbooks, but have never had any luck finding them. He's posted the canon questbooks, but not the others he did. I always keep my eyes out for them, I've head alot about them form several people. I think they must've been posted at his previous website, but not the current one. Slev one time posted his Dropbox with Quests, but I only saw the remade canon quests there.

I have all of his old first-edition sh!t from before he started editing... you want I should mirror everything in my dropbox? :chaoswarrior:



That would be awesome!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 527
Joined: March 16th, 2014, 10:25 am
Location: USA
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby Goblin-King » January 12th, 2016, 6:37 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:"My chaos warrior delivers a massive blow! Defend against 4 skulls if you can!"
I thought you played with EU monster stats? Chaos warriors attack with three dice.

We do... 3 skulls... my mistake ;)

The Admiral wrote:I see little point in playing a quest in which I am almost certain everyone will die, or survive with ease.

That's the weird part of making your own quests. First you have to produce something balanced. Then you do everything you can to kill the heroes in the setting you created yourself.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby Gold Bearer » January 12th, 2016, 8:45 pm

Twelve replies in less than three hours of a new topic, could be a record.

clmckay wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:Incidentally, the very end of Slev's HQR featured an encounter with a crew of "Dark Heroes", who had also been trained by Mentor but lost a battle vs Chaos some time before the game's storyline and became Morcar's servants. An event like that, even if only for one or two previously-dead Heroes, would certainly shake things up at the table...
I like this idea.
+1 :!:
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby Count Mohawk » January 12th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
clmckay wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:Incidentally, the very end of Slev's HQR featured an encounter with a crew of "Dark Heroes", who had also been trained by Mentor but lost a battle vs Chaos some time before the game's storyline and became Morcar's servants. An event like that, even if only for one or two previously-dead Heroes, would certainly shake things up at the table...
I like this idea.
+1 :!:

Welp, here you go! A full mirror of Slev's HQR, 1st edition. I will also add the link to my sig for easier finding, if I can fit it of course.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 696
Joined: July 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Location: New England, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby Anderas » January 13th, 2016, 12:54 am

Of course it's a good thing to kill a hero once in a while :)

I use NA Monster stats and do experiment with some monster abilities - other than that, it's quite the basic game.

But before i do the attempt to kill somebody, i need to balance out things. There are quests which are not very well thought over in the base game book (yes, this time we're still at playing the base game :); some are a walk in the park and some are awfully difficult for the heroes. There are also homemade quests with mechanics that generate random monsters each turn.... no way for me; the difficulty is out of control here!

I think it's a loss for everybody if the entire group dies and we have to start over. For me, a quest is perfect, if one hero dies and the others are down to 2 BP; more or less.

So in the end, I prepare the quests in a way that they are roughly medium difficult, and then i do my best to kill the heroes!


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby Gold Bearer » January 13th, 2016, 2:34 am

The Admiral wrote:Any difficulty amendments I make are done before I begin the quest, with the result you quote above as where I would really like the result to go, but once we begin, it's on, and I am all out to kill everyone! :lol: evil laughter..
Anderas wrote:So in the end, I prepare the quests in a way that they are roughly medium difficult, and then i do my best to kill the heroes!
I'm all for this. Ideally I would want to make any changes before starting a set of quests and treat it as one big quest but that's not always possible if you've never played those quests before, so seeing how goes and making changes between quests as it's played would probably be the better option at times.

Goblin-King wrote:That's the weird part of making your own quests. First you have to produce something balanced. Then you do everything you can to kill the heroes in the setting you created yourself.
I've never seen that as a contradiction or had any problems with it. When I'm playing a quest, I'm trying to win but when I'm designing a quest, I'm trying to tell a good story and create a challenging but fair game. I aim for one hero death on average per quest when I'm designing. I don't always get it right but sometimes that's down to the dice, sometimes not.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby The Admiral » January 13th, 2016, 11:15 am

Goblin-King wrote:
The Admiral wrote:I see little point in playing a quest in which I am almost certain everyone will die, or survive with ease.

That's the weird part of making your own quests. First you have to produce something balanced. Then you do everything you can to kill the heroes in the setting you created yourself.


I don't see that as weird at all. I want a reasonably balanced setting, so that if all things go equal it will be a close game in which the heroes should survive with a sweat on. Of course the dice can take things to the extreme either way and I am happy to let that happen. So I would rather be fully committed in gameplay to trying to oppose and kill the heroes, rather than having a way too easy/hard quest that I am trying to make easier/harder as we go along. I prepare the setting and then I can have at it and enjoy it if I kill any/all of the heroes. I would find no enjoyment killing them all in a quest I could see from the start would almost certainly result in their demise, or playing through a meaningless quest where I know I will achieve nothing?


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby SirRick » January 17th, 2016, 3:59 am

Reading this topic reminds me when i had a TPK in Quest 1: The Trial. To make a long story short the quest ended with the Chaos Warrior from the boss room chasing the Wizard around in the hallways. The wizard managed to bring him down to 1 body point with spells and then put him to sleep. For three turns the he tried stab the defensless chaos warrior with his dagger but missed everytime. The next turn the chaos warrior woke up and was able to finish off the wizard.
I know quest 1 is kind of difficult, but i was dumbfounded about how everything played out. We still laugh about it to this day. I guess that day Mentor chose his heroes poorly! :mrgreen:


Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
SirRick

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 512
Joined: January 17th, 2016, 3:15 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: To kill or not to kill...

Postby Gold Bearer » January 17th, 2016, 5:21 am

SirRick wrote:To make a long story short the quest ended with the Chaos Warrior from the boss room chasing the Wizard around in the hallways. The wizard managed to bring him down to 1 body point with spells and then put him to sleep. For three turns the he tried stab the defensless chaos warrior with his dagger but missed everytime. The next turn the chaos warrior woke up and was able to finish off the wizard.
:lol:
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests