• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby billdask » March 28th, 2015, 10:53 am

LOL!!!!! so initially you worried about the copyright and now you want to recast them...... :D
We told you already the cost is high due to material cost + time + talent + quality.
Since you don't agree, then don't buy them no one forced you, and buy the original ones to make your recast :P cause recasting white metal recasts you will have details loss.


Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
billdask

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
 
Posts: 100
Images: 27
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 4:04 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby FainFlynn » March 28th, 2015, 11:04 am

So again, can you please detail what these costs are to justify the ridiculous prices you guys are charging?

I'm saying I would welcome the chance to recast and sell at cost so that people can have access to the minis.

Anyone have links to primers on how to recast? I'd love the chance to make some for all of you, again, AT COST.
FainFlynn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 200
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby StratosVX » March 28th, 2015, 11:37 am

FainFlynn wrote:So again, can you please detail what these costs are to justify the ridiculous prices you guys are charging?

I'm saying I would welcome the chance to recast and sell at cost so that people can have access to the minis.

Anyone have links to primers on how to recast? I'd love the chance to make some for all of you, again, AT COST.

That's easy enough. Go online and look at the cost of the materials you'll need. First off, silicone. Starter kits are about $25-30 and they won't make a whole lot of molds. If you go with silicone that's going to last a decent number of molds, you're also going to need a vacuum chamber. Those aren't cheap. Keep in mind that your first molds aren't going to be successful. After your molds, you have to buy the material you want the figures to be. If you're going with plastic, again starter kits are around the same price as the silicone. Your first attempt at a recast will also test the quality of your molds. The mold might look good, but if you haven't made air vents well enough, you're going to be wasting plastic on half formed figures until you get the hang of it. Once you get the hang of it, you still need to make sure the plastic doesn't have any air bubbles in it. A vibration table can help with that. After all that, your molds won't last forever. They will start to lose detail even using a mold release agent. Then you get to start the process over again. As for time, you're going to be doing two-part molds. The higher quality silicones range from 6-18 hours cure time for each part, depending on the temperature and which one you get. Also, all of these things have a relatively short shelf life once exposed to air. So you might be thinking you'll get a large quantity and you'll be set for a while. You'd be wrong. I've had bottles of this stuff go bad in less than a year. You can leave the molds sitting for days at that point and they will never cure. I ruined a Chaos Warrior that way. Since you're so anxious to start this, there's a list of what you need. In addition, you'll need sulfur-free clay for your molds. Make sure you get the right kind because sulfur reacts with the silicone. You'll be resting one half of the figure in the clay and you need to make sure the silicone won't find any holes to leak through to the underside of the figure, otherwise you'll be spending quite a bit of time cleaning up your mold before pouring the second half. Once the first half is done curing, you'll need to remove the clay making sure to get the clay out of the details in the figure. Some clay sculpting tools will help with the mold-making process. Removing the clay from the figure while trying to work around the silicone is time consuming. Best bet is to plan on getting a mold done in a weekend. Unless you want to try making several on your first attempt, in which case I can guarantee you'll be wasting a lot of materials on molds that didn't turn out. Let me know how long it takes and how much money you have spent before you are successfully casting figures with no flaws. It's a lot harder than the online videos make it out to be. I bought a set from Bill because it was a lot cheaper than trying to get molds of my own made and it was a hell of a lot faster too.

Also, don't forget to take into account the cost of actually getting the more rare figures when you figure up your grand total.
Last edited by StratosVX on March 28th, 2015, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 12:44 am
Location: Utah, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby FainFlynn » March 28th, 2015, 11:55 am

That was very helpful, despite the sarcasm, and I will keep all this in mind when trying it. If I get it down you can all look forward to cheaper recasts so stay tuned!
FainFlynn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 200
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby StratosVX » March 28th, 2015, 11:58 am

There was no sarcasm. That is all fact. I have been working on getting quality mold for quite a while and I know what is involved in it. Hence why I said the cost was not that bad for what was being offered. The same thing KK said and the same thing Bill said. You know, the people with experience in this.

One more tip: start with a figure that is not a unique figure. As I said, I ruined a Chaos Warrior. You don't want to start with a figure you can't afford to lose.


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 12:44 am
Location: Utah, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby billdask » March 28th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Thank you StratosVX you saved me a lot of writing, to what is being said add the cost of the original minis to it.


Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
billdask

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
 
Posts: 100
Images: 27
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 4:04 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby FainFlynn » March 28th, 2015, 12:14 pm

I guess it's a catch 22. I need the originals to begin recasting so that I can have the originals hahaha.
FainFlynn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 200
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby StratosVX » March 28th, 2015, 12:18 pm

No problem Bill. I thought I was going to be able to learn this quickly and offer recasts to Inn members (before I found out about your service). It has been a royal pain to learn. Every time I would think I had it, I would encounter a new issue. I'm still kind of working on it but other things have taken precedence.
billdask wrote:to what is being said add the cost of the original minis to it.

I added that note too. Didn't think about that in the original post I made, especially since this is about the figures from The Frozen Horror, which is not a cheap expansion.

I also didn't take into account the cost of shipping. The only silicone suitable for recasting that I could find in the stores near me were very cheap quality and had only enough to make one small mold, so I had to order the stuff online. That starter kit cost me about $17 in shipping - almost as much as the product itself costs. That's the price you have to pay to have these chemicals shipped.


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 12:44 am
Location: Utah, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby knightkrawler » March 28th, 2015, 1:14 pm

FainFlynn wrote:I need the originals to begin recasting so that I can have the originals hahaha.


Yes. You nailed it. Adds to the production cost.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby FainFlynn » March 28th, 2015, 2:00 pm

It's f'ing frustrating.
FainFlynn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 200
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daedalus and 5 guests