• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I would...

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Goblin-King » November 18th, 2014, 9:48 am

Anyone ever tried putting together a Space Hulk map!?
It's like putting together a freaking jigsaw puzzle!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Schmidt » November 18th, 2014, 11:58 am

No, but I heard it's like putting a freaking jigsaw puzzle together.

Wizard should have access to all spells from the beginning of an adventure. He will then get a base number of spells (3-5) + 1(2?) for each level. They should become more powerful as the wizard is leveling up. And they should be reusable depending on how much damage/healing they do.

Example:

Summon undead
Throw 1 CD (+1 for each level)
:skull: = 1 :skeleton:
:whiteshield: =1 :zombie:
:blackshield: =1 :mummy:
The level of the monsters is the average level of the heroes (rounded down)

The monsters can be controlled for:
:skull: 1 round
:whiteshield: 2 rounds
:blackshield: 3 rounds

Cool down time:
For each
:skeleton: = 1 round
:zombie: = 2 rounds
:mummy: = 3 rounds


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 328
Joined: July 20th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Anderas » November 19th, 2014, 6:28 am

What do you mean by cool down time?
Do you want the player to take notes and cross out some boxes on paper until they are allowed to use the spell again?
This is nice in a computer game but for a board game it is a little too much bureaucracy, don't you think?


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Big Bene » November 19th, 2014, 7:04 am

I think ideas for the "perfect" magic system should not be restricted to "spells on cards".
Why not use a principally different system, like:
- Mana based:
The magic user has a certain amount of mana, astral energy, or whatever you want to call it. His startig mana would become higher with experience. Each spell costs a given amount of mana, depending on it's effect. So a magic user can use the same spell as often as he wants, as long as his mana lasts, and a beginner can cast a powerful spell, at the cost of it beeing the only one he will cast in this quest.
- Difficulty based:
A spell with big effects is more difficult than a mediocre one. Every time a magic user wants to cast a spell, he must test it's difficulty against his mind points or against a new "magic" stat (which should also increase with experience). If he passes the test, the spell will work, with no other restrictions, so again, he can (try to) use the same spell as often as he wants, and a beginner can try to cast a powerful spell, just with less chance to actually manage it.
Have a look ;)


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1401
Images: 11
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: Siebeldingen / Germany
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Anderas » November 19th, 2014, 10:38 am

There is another problem connected to that concept. It animates the Wizard to keep his magic for the final Monster. Even more than today.
I'd love a solution that makes the Wizard better over time, but does not make him the one man bomb, to be transported, placed, then effective, but until then inert.

I have to think about the magic problem. Maybe Heroquest is close to a solution but just a bit underbalanced.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby slev » November 19th, 2014, 11:30 am

The problem is that HQ (and indeed AHQ and, to a lesser degree, WHQ) makes magic POWERFUL, so that it has to be counter-balenced by being limited and/or having the hero limited. Meanwhile, modern games like Descent just treat Magic as a source, while making the effects just another attack, so the heroes can stay perfectly balenced without being arteficially limited.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Schmidt » November 19th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Anderas wrote:What do you mean by cool down time?
Do you want the player to take notes and cross out some boxes on paper until they are allowed to use the spell again?
This is nice in a computer game but for a board game it is a little too much bureaucracy, don't you think?

Is that too much to ask ;)
Instead of small boxes I would have big boxes (the size of the spell/skill card). When you have used the card, you put it in the right numbered box (cooldowntime=3rounds, put it in #3). When your turn starts, move all cards one space to the left. If the card is moved onto 0/reusable you may use it on that turn. Max CDT = 6 rounds.

Barbarian skill: Kick

On your turn you can kick an adj. monster. It will be kicked on square backwards, loosing 1 B.P. If there is a wall behind the monster it will stay in the same square, loosing 2 B.P. If there is another monster/hero behind the monster, the kicked monster will loose 2 B.P. and the one behind it will loose 1 B.P., both staying in the same square.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 328
Joined: July 20th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Anderas » November 20th, 2014, 3:00 am

Just move the boxes then you don't need to take out the cards and put it into another box.

Actually, that way i could become friends with the concept of cool down time. The stronger a spell is, the less often you may use it. I like it.
You may need a mechanism to prevent that the group is waiting rounds and rounds for the wizard to cool down. What do you do there?

I think the kick of the Barbarian is overpowered. Monsters shouldn't lose BP through kicking.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby Goblin-King » November 20th, 2014, 3:24 am

The problem with magic is that if it's too simple it's too limited.
But if you flesh it more out it quickly becomes too complex.

Cooldowns is a mechanic I would never introduce to a board game!
In WQ you roll a die each round to determine the amount of spell power you have available.
That's not bad. The wizard is powerful, but also unpredictable in power level.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If I were to make the perfect dungeon board game, I woul

Postby slev » November 20th, 2014, 5:10 am

Instead of cool-dows, gain, say, one point each turn. you spend the points to trigger affects of choice.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests