• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby Gunzhard » August 13th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Greetings, I am totally new here. I played AHQ as a teen and loved it, I also have Heroquest coming to me (in the mail now!) soon. From what I can gather from these forums it looks like people very much prefer the game-system from HQ over AHQ. Is this correct? Is it strictly a complexity issue?
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie
 
Posts: 32
Joined: August 12th, 2013, 12:25 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby IvenBach » August 13th, 2013, 2:49 pm

I myself don't know but WELCOME & BIENVENIDOS! Beware of the dangers in this forum. It's like a black hole and will suck you in. That's what it did to me at least. :geek:


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby TMU » August 13th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

I haven't played AHQ, but what I've heard , HQ is way better ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1870
Images: 15
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Location: Rauma, Finland
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby knightkrawler » August 13th, 2013, 3:06 pm

I haven't tried AHQ. I guess it's the awesomeness of HQ that makes me think there cannot be a better game, so why waste my time?
Besides, it's a design thing. AHQ tiles and cards and thingies look awful to me and these eyes of mine.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby Sjeng » August 13th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I have both games, but I havent learned the AHQ rules yet. I believe the simple rules from HQ is what makes it more popular. The extra minis and tiles where why I bought ahq, but I might try the game as it was meant someday.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby Gunzhard » August 13th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Interesting... well as I get older and wiser, I am also getting stupider and lazier hah... a simple ruleset does sound very appealing, though I LOVED AHQ as a teen. I'm thinking it might also be easier to get my gaming group (mostly 40k and Infinity players) to try HQ if it is that much easier to pick up.
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie
 
Posts: 32
Joined: August 12th, 2013, 12:25 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby Goblin-King » August 13th, 2013, 3:50 pm

I think there are several reasons HQ is more popular than AHQ.

* Simple ruleset in HQ

* More minis in HQ - AHQ suffers a little too much under Greed Workshop philosophy of "Buy moar minis!"

* But mostly I think HQ was simply more widespread during it's initial release. It was marketed as a board-game, not a miniature game which meant families bought it, not just "nerds".
I can't remember ever even seeing AHQ in toy stores here in Denmark. No one I knew had AHQ.
So while HQ may objectively be the better game, I think most prefer HQ simply because they haven't really tried AHQ.

* Also... This IS a dedicated Hero Quest forum after all, with AHQ as a sub forum under "other games". No surprise most people who frequent this page prefer HQ :lol:


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby chaoticprime » August 13th, 2013, 3:59 pm

AHQ was just less of a game, in total. You got one type of enemy miniature, and then a sheet of oval "bosses" that were simply lame. The actual rules were very cumbersome compared to those of HQ. The game was also much less common, especially in the US.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby Patroclus » August 13th, 2013, 5:56 pm

I think the main difference between HQ and AHQ are not the rules. It is their quests. In HQ you have a bunch of interesting quests to play, and a lot more with the expansions. They are so many that if you play all of them, you have learned so many things that easily you can create your own. In AHQ the quests that comes with the box are terrible. I believe they’ve made them so simple because they want to encourage the players to create their own, or to show that it is very easy to have fun even with simple quests. Of course the problem is that no one teaches you how to create interesting quests.

Other things that does not add anything to fun, is the initiative, the sentries, the doors that can be opened from monsters, the traps which are tokens that GM can use at will and not placed on the board like HQ for a reason, the death zones (the only thing I like and HQ does not have is the critical hits and the fumbles). I can’t understand why they’ve put all these. The combat isn’t more interesting than HQ’s. Even the tiles have no meaning… Who said that in HQ you can’t create very different dungeons by adding blocks or putting extra tiles on the board?

Of course a very experienced GM can create excellent quests in AHQ, like HQ’s. And the rules are not a problem, they just slowing you some seconds... It’s better than WHQ, so for me is the second best boardgame ever.

By the other hand, HQ has narrow rooms and one-square-width corridor for more tactical battles. With narrow rooms even the furniture adds to the tactics of the battles. Another plus is that you can create quests so easily that you spend more time to create the story and less to put the rooms and the monsters. But the most of all is that its system is so well balanced that it’s very hard to bend. Also, with so many monsters you can create your own by saying “it should be strong like orc and not like chaos warrior, so it should have Attack 3”.

I could talk for hours for the goods of HQ but you’ll find soon. :lol: Welcome |_P


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 658
Images: 19
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby Gunzhard » August 13th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Hah wow great answers. You know I do remember creating my own missions for AHQ but that was 20+ years ago. We would stay after school and play in a classroom. I also had collected most of the metal Skaven figures from Citadel back then... sadly I traded ALL of it for some Space Marines a few years later. Now I've got my hands on a partial complete AHQ box and I have a fully complete HQ on the way - I am very excited! :)

Any thoughts on the best approach for getting a new group started on one, either, or both of these games?
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie
 
Posts: 32
Joined: August 12th, 2013, 12:25 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests