• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

What would you like to see released?

Wizard and Dwarf Quest Packs as intended (using AtOH/WoM assets)
6
14%
Adaptation of Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar to US rules
8
18%
Yes to the AtOH/WoM adaptations, but I hope for WQP/DQP that do their own things
5
11%
I just want a full set of male/female heroes
3
7%
Still bummed I can't get Mythic quests at retail—please make those happen (with bugfixes!)
6
14%
More new content, I don't need reprints.
1
2%
More new content, but yes I want reprints too!
7
16%
Ragnar is still a damned dirty traitor!
3
7%
It won't matter because Twitter Zargon will destroy us all. Eventually. When he gets around to it.
5
11%
 
Total votes : 44

Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby iKarith » August 2nd, 2022, 7:01 am

I'll preface by restating my opinion that Avalon Hill intends to bring us modern versions of just about everything HeroQuest that they realistically can. Yesterday they released a digital ADK sheet, I believe this week we'll get teased about EQP on the way, and who knows what's next.

Luca Pasquarelli dropped a bunch of design notes for all four of the intended US hero quest packs … and they were supposed to contain the figures from AtOH and WoM. And we did see some ogres in EQP, fair enough! The wizards from WoM would've formed the basis for the WQP in the 90s and the rest of the ogres from AtOH would've ended up in DQP. Interesting, interesting.

What I'm wondering is … if the DQP/WQP got made based on the material from the 90s, it probably won't make sense to make modern versions of Wizards of Morcar and possibly also not Against the Ogre Horde. Particularly since WQP was going to be basically the quest to take down those same wizards maybe with different stats. And if the DQP has a bunch more ogres, they won't be quite as imposing. I dunno. Just seems like they won't really have an excuse to do both to me.

Granted, I expect if AtOH/WoM are brought to the US rules, they'll be done a little differently than the UK rules versions were done, but nothing stops people from using the UK's weird system. And if they change it, I'm sure they'll have an online printable that describes the UK expansion's method for those Zargons who want to do it that way.

Me, I'm an entitled player who wants ALL THE THINGS, so yes to bringing AtOH/WoM to US rules, yes to DQP/WQP new designs (I understand folks are working to complete the versions from the 90s … looking forward to playing those fan creations too!) I definitely want a full set of male and female heroes, retail versions of Mythic quests, Guardian Knights, Rogue Heirs, moar new quest packs, whatever they've got!

Basically aside from liking some of the oldhammer sculpts more and thinking that half the new map icons look like they just stepped on a lego (Encarmine says blame Neil for this … Neil, if you're reading this, consider yourself duly blamed :D), I'm very happy with what Avalon Hill's done (*sigh* yes even the piratey Orc Bard, I've just decided he's singing sea shanties) and I can't get enough of it.

"But that just happens to be how I feel about it… Whadda you think?"[/danieljackson]
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.


Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
User avatar
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 623
Joined: February 14th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Location: Portlandia
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby j_dean80 » August 2nd, 2022, 10:18 am

iKarith wrote:(I understand folks are working to complete the versions from the 90s … looking forward to playing those fan creations too!)


I just want to state that I wouldn’t consider this “fan creations”. We are using the old drafts and just finishing a few minor holes in it.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner


Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Wrote an article for the Blog. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2412
Images: 30
Joined: December 6th, 2016, 2:48 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby lestodante » August 2nd, 2022, 8:06 pm

I agree with, they were official, just had some bugs that required a fix!
By the Way I'd like to see the Wizards of Morcar. In Italian it's such a rarity, even more rare than BQP or EQP!!


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Wrote an article for the Blog. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti
 
Posts: 2840
Images: 5
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
Location: Italy
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby iKarith » August 2nd, 2022, 9:48 pm

Had no idea what state they were in. But then … I am of the opinion that Frozen Horror had a few bugs to fix as released. Suggested patches to Yeti behavior and the introduction of some artifacts that make survival a little easier being officially available do wonders in that regard. Plus, the wolf companion is just cool because he's a good boy and is gonna be well fed tonight!
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.


Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
User avatar
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 623
Joined: February 14th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Location: Portlandia
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby lestodante » August 3rd, 2022, 8:34 am

They had no time to properly playtest the two released questpacks and fix the bugs.
In some of the correspondences beetween the designers can be read sentences such "...if we will be able to release the Wizard and/or the DQP..."!
Because they know Hasbro was going to discontinue the HQ line so they had to harry up and publish the packs at the stage they were.


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Wrote an article for the Blog. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti
 
Posts: 2840
Images: 5
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
Location: Italy
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby cornixt » August 3rd, 2022, 9:26 am

I got the impression that the WQP was almost complete but the DQP didn't have more than quest descriptions so you were going to have to build the quests yourselves. Seems like everyone got the wrong impression. So you are saying that both were at the nearly ready stage and just needed a bit of playtesting and bug fixing?


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
cornixt

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 813
Joined: November 4th, 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby lestodante » August 3rd, 2022, 11:41 am



Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Wrote an article for the Blog. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti
 
Posts: 2840
Images: 5
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
Location: Italy
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby Kurgan » August 3rd, 2022, 12:49 pm

Great stuff guys. GenCon speculation is on fire!


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7112
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Avalon Hill - unpublished DQP/WQP vs. AtOH/WoM

Postby lucapaschi » August 3rd, 2022, 5:51 pm

cornixt wrote:I got the impression that the WQP was almost complete but the DQP didn't have more than quest descriptions so you were going to have to build the quests yourselves. Seems like everyone got the wrong impression. So you are saying that both were at the nearly ready stage and just needed a bit of playtesting and bug fixing?


The Wizard pack was in the 2nd or 3rd revision. We could say a pack was published around the 4-5th. There are a couple of issues with the rules, a few things that have to be fixed here and there in the quests to make them playable. It’s difficult to convey the completeness, but I’d say it’s 80-90% complete.

For the Dwarf pack, we have the original designer draft with some heavy corrections. A second draft was made, with significant changes (we only have 2,3 pages of that), and we already know some changes would have been applied to the second draft to put some elements back into it from the first one. The draft in itself is most likely playable, more or less enjoyable or broken, that’s harder to tell. I’d say it’s 40/50% complete.

For all of them, we have the main storyline, cards, quest maps, some tiles, monsters and so on. Some of these were not final, or there was more than one option they’d have to choose from.
lucapaschi

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1096
Images: 12
Joined: March 9th, 2020, 6:46 pm
Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberChampion Group Member


Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron