Pancho wrote:It all depends on whether the Elf and the Barbarian are brand new Heroes. If they are, then they are going to die in the solo quests.
I know that these expansions state that they are intended for new Heroes, but if played by a solo Barbarian or Elf that has completed the preceding packs and are therefore tooled up, then the solo bit is perfectly survivable.
Considering that this is a Compendium of official quests, but not a pure copy of all the material in the packs (Hendar has included the story introductions but not the new rules for each pack), then I would just suggest that the "new elf" or "new barbarian" rules are completely ignored. In the compendium the US packs come immediately after Wizards of Morcar, so why not just use the Elf and Barbarian that emerged from that adventure?
If I absolutely had to play FH and MOTM with brand new Heroes, i.e. if Morcar held a gun to my head, I think I would prefer to use the Wallydubs approach of extra potions and rewards, rather than adding in mercenaries and extra Heroes. It is supposed to be a solo adventure after all.
Ah, yes, I see your point, Pancho. But I've playtested Frozen Horror before, with only 4 heroes and with 5. So long as the heroes are carry Healing potions they can keep on kicking. Assuming you allow the heroes to visit the Alchemist Shop between quests, adding a 5th hero does add an extra share to limit the gold to keep buying those potions.
As noted in the Forward, he's also playing with Sjeng's equipment and Evil Wizard cards... this might make the quest even more difficult. So clearly there's already a few modifications added. But I guess it's up to Morcar to make that decision, if he's willing to let a 5th hero join. The adjustments I made are to secure survival (at least by 64%) for unequipped female Barbarian. Just as the original 14 quests are meant to max out the heroes, so 3 solos will do for 1.
Just the same, the solo quests are still broken. If he wishes to take some of my or Anderas' ideas, it would be an honor.
Another suggestion I'd like to make is in regards to Keller's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, the group quests of the Frozen Horror, and the last 4(or 3) quests of Mage of the Mirror: just as Against the Ogre Horde doesn't allow heroes to visit the Armory/Alchemist Shop between quests, the same should apply to these quest packs, as they are all technically connected in the greater part of the story. So at the end of every quest pack the heroes get a reward, which they'll have to put towards supplies for the next quest pack... this may mean adding a reward to Return of the Witch Lord and Wizards of Morcar.


















