• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Behold! My 2022 Painting Challenge!

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Behold! My 2022 Painting Challenge!

Postby sekundes » January 20th, 2022, 5:39 pm

I had recently painted one of my Heroquest base game sets as my first ever painting project back in 2020, since then I have gone on to paint a bunch of AoS minis and have improved a fair bit in my painting ability. So I decided now that I have moved into a new home and have the painting corner set up I will begin my painting magnum opus; a complete painted set of Heroquest including all expansions (Kellars Keep and Witch Lord not pictured but included in the challenge after the pictured models are finished).

This was the previous painted set that I hope to surpass in quality:

Wish me luck! I'll be updating this thread soon, this weekend will be spent mold line cleaning and hopefully I'll get priming done on Monday, it'll be a slow trickle of updates but I'm posting here for posterity anyways.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Behold! My 2022 Painting Challenge!

Postby Kurgan » January 20th, 2022, 6:23 pm

Good luck!

(part of me wouldn't even paint such rare figures, but they're yours, you do as you please)
Last edited by Kurgan on January 21st, 2022, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby sekundes » January 21st, 2022, 2:03 am

Boy I forgot how wicked these mold lines are, especially the Fimirs.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Anderas » January 21st, 2022, 3:10 am

Wow! Good luck!

The HQ Models are fairly easy to paint, so you can spend more time to get them up to a great level.
But I agree, the mold lines are sometimes really annoying.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby sekundes » January 24th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Okay I have finished the first big step over the last couple of days. Meticulously hunting every single mold line, of which there are many, on every single miniature. Then a first, I washed every mini with cold water and soap making sure to brush off any residue remaining from the de-molding process. I then went on side on this crisp day and primed them all white, although I didn't go overboard as I usually do and just gave them a good dusting as I hear that's how you should prime a mini. Being as I've always used gray primer though I am troubled by the fact that the minis aren't stark white after priming and their base colors sort of shine through; but it would appear to be a good priming job in that the paint should bond to the mini even though its not an opaque coat. Let me know if I am wrong in thinking this and I should go over them again until they are pure white. Here are the update images:

Cleaned

Primed

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby sekundes » January 24th, 2022, 8:03 pm

Kurgan wrote:Good luck!

(part of me wouldn't even paint such rare figures, but they're yours, you do as you please)

Haha, I'm only painting this full set because I own unpunched copies of every box as a collection; those will remain unpainted and intact freeing me of guilt when applying paint to Elf quest in particular. I want it all beautiful and ready to go for when my kids are old enough to play, of course I will probably be the one moving all the minis until they are 30 years old or so lol.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » January 24th, 2022, 9:08 pm

Everyone wears white gloves during game sessions at your table

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby sekundes » January 25th, 2022, 12:25 am

I spent like two days cleaning mold lines and after priming it I have found about 10 more on each model. AHHHHHHHH. Just going to do some more cleaning up and touch up with gray brush on primer

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby sekundes » January 28th, 2022, 12:43 am

First test model complete, of course I started with the "easiest" model, the skeleton! A marked improvement from the first time I painted the skeletons back in 2020.

Old Skeleton:

New Skeleton:

I'll add the glowing green eyes as I did last time, but I think I may make them glowing purple/pink eyes since I intend to give zombies green-ish eyes already. We'll see. But a good morale boost nonetheless. I'm going to continue working my way through the models until I figure out how I'm going to paint the bases; I have an extra Fimir model I intend to use for base tests.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Anderas » January 28th, 2022, 6:17 am

Oh... Wow!
You painted the first time 2 years ago? Wow!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miniatures