• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

MSE card template

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

MSE card template

Postby Krevett » September 23rd, 2017, 10:19 am

Hello
I've done a small MSE (magic set editor) card template that can be used to make cards for RPG style. Although their size is bigger than HQ cards (about MTG size), I thought I'll post it here in case some people are interested. by the way if you know how templating works, you can edit the files to add more symbols to the cards.
MSE is a free program so feel free to try it ;)

My template can be found here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/14740
Krevett

Goblin
Goblin

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: MSE card template

Postby Krevett » September 26th, 2017, 5:14 am

Updated the template for low-res users (laptops), link is the same as previous post for the topic ;)
Krevett

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Gold Bearer » October 3rd, 2017, 8:13 am

Cheers. I've used one of your backgrounds and I'm going to use at least one of you icons too. |_P
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Krevett » October 3rd, 2017, 11:57 pm

Glad to see it can be of any use! I used it to remake a full HQ with my house rules and i'll probably use it for some d&d sessions too. If I got some time i'll try to enhance it with more icons and symbols.
Krevett

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Krevett » November 12th, 2017, 9:20 am

Hello just a quick post to illustrate what can be done with the template and a link to an updated version of the template (I've uploaded only 254dpi version, good for 1920*1080 or higher resolutions, but the style file can be easily edited for the 3 main templates with notepad by changing the lines "card dpi: 254" and "dpi := 254" to 150. The cards will be the same size when printing [if you change the two numbers accordingly] but at lower resolution it will display smaller cards in MSE for lower resolution users).
So far I printed 284 cards to use with custom rules with my family.
Good game to everyone ;)

Sample cards:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/2bhss1mfq ... 135930.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/tpk817sc7 ... 135631.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/khe7ieep6 ... 140123.jpg
Last edited by Krevett on November 30th, 2017, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krevett

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Krevett » November 30th, 2017, 9:22 am

New and quite big update. The template now include more card styles (some of them are still WIP and not fully functional) to use with tabletop RPG or board games. I removed the token style as I found them a bit useless (there's better programs than MSE to print tokens...) but the pawns are still here (as I've found nothing else to print this kind of tokens).

Tweaked the display list for better filtering of cards (sorry if it's a bit "generic" but that way the fields displayed can adapt to more styles thanks to scripting). When changing style during card editing you can click on the background and select a new one or the same to update the card list display for the different styles (anyway there should be no sane reason to change style in the same set but hey....)
Scripting is not optimal but works as I expect it to work so for now...
Also I know I could make use of extra card fields or styling fields (indeed the game file is quite big now) but as I've started that way I don't want to render my old sets not compatible with new version (and I like to have all my options in the same file).

Any suggestion or criticism to improve the template is welcome Winking smiley

NB: for now only the 254dpi version is available i'll upload the lower resolution later if I'm not too lazy... (Edit --> Done!)

New link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ujrco2ys ... 254dpi.rar

152dpi link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/cjfo05t0 ... 152dpi.rar (laptop users, lower print quality but smaller look on screen)

Edit: just realised that some overlays used are in french (my native language) so here's a link to the psd used for these overlays in case someone want to translate them (word lists in the game file would also need some translation) --> https://www.mediafire.com/file/84di98sh ... erlays.rar
Krevett

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Krevett » December 2nd, 2017, 9:43 am

Sorry for posting again an update ^^

Added new symbols for standard cards
Descent monsters front and back are now available (please consider this is WIP so the cards are not perfect but perfectly useable)
Hero card for DnD board game available (again WIP, had to cheat a little on this one because I don't think MSE can handle cards like the originals for the HP/MP by level counters)
Included a readme on how to use the different styles in the template (at least!!!)

Links are the same than before!

Code: Select all
What's this:
This template is designed to use with tabletop and/or board games with RPG elements.
It's not perfect but if you like to customize your games like I do it can help ;)
If you know how to edit MSE files, feel free to change whatever please you!
Many symbols are available through the "Format-->Insert symbol" menu to put in text fields.

What's the difference between 254dpi and 152 dpi?
The dpi value is the print resolution of the card. The two sets print cards of the same size, only the resolution change. I do this to allow users with lower resolution screen (like a laptop) to be able to use the template. There's a problem with MSE when opening a picture field that is too large for your screen resolution, you won't be able to see the buttons in the editor (but pressing the enter key will work to exit the menu).
To put it in a nutshell, if your screen resolution is 1920x1080 or higher you should use the 254dpi version. Otherwise, use the 152dpi version.

How to use (by style):
Mini/Standard/Portrait/Oversize: These styles are designed for generic use (I use them for my custom version of Heroquest) and can fit almost any game you think of if you're starting from scratch (ie create new game and/or rules for an existing game).
I don't use styling options, but instead you will find small boxes around the card borders with a description on what will be affected by the box current value.
Fields available: name, type, subtype, text, main symbol, infoboxes (3), statboxes (up to 12, standard and larger only), symbolboxes (up to 12, standard and larger only).
Filtering values: name, type, subtype, infobox1 (numbers only), infobox2 (numbers only), background.
Options: Font size of name, text, infoboxes and statboxes. Color of infoboxes text, Picture display (small, large, no picture, cardback), Number of statboxes displayed, Type-subtype with or without symbol in between, Single or double textbox, Watermark, Background.

D&D-PF (WIP): This style is more geared towards tabletop RPG following the D&D rules. As with the generic style, boxes are around to let you customize the look and feel of the card as well as choose the overlay for the card you're making (for now generic, items, spell, power, monsters for 3rd and 4th editions).
Filtering values: depends on the overlay selected.
Options: Font size of name, Overlay, Background, Texture, Borders, Watermark.

Descent Mini/Standard/Large (WIP): This style is for making custom cards for the board game Descent. The style is WIP so everything is not finished. For now treasure, items, relics, feats, status, monster front & back, overlord and hero cards are available, though they are not perfect these are perfectly useable if you don't mind the card being exactly like original ones.
Filtering values: depends on the card type.
Options: Background, Numbers of abilities for minion and master (monster front cards only).

DnDBoard Standard/Large (WIP): This style is for making custom cards for the board game D&D by parker. As the Descent style this is very much a WIP. I had to cheat a little for hero cards because the original cards are almost impossible to reproduce in MSE (I think).
Filtering values: depends on the card type.
Options: Background.

Pawns: This style is for creating pawns token (for those who played pathfinder you'll know what this mean). You select a picture (you can also add a name and/or short info), and print on 300g paper then glue the two parts after bending them to have a figurine to put on a plastic base.

NB: Filtering value are displayed as "Name", "Type", "Subtype", "Info1", "Info2", "Background". I had to do that in order to mix all the styles rather than creating a different game file for each to keep the number of displayed fields sane.
You can report bugs and/or comments and criticism here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/14740
Krevett62
Krevett

Goblin
Goblin

Return to Cards