• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest Redo

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Heroquest Redo

Postby Baltogu » May 7th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Hi Everyone,
A few words of introduction as this is my first post.
I used to be a hardcore role player for 15 years (Warhammer fantasy roleplay among others) - playing boardgames was mostly an excuse to paint miniatures at the time.
Now I am much older, and board games have become the only way to reconnect with the nostalgia of this era (as role playing campaigns require way more time and involvement than I can afford now).
Played dungeon quest, space hulk and talisman back then, and got my first copy of heroquest during a trip school to Germany, even before it was released in France (89 I guess). Despite cards and contents in German, I had an absolute blast with my friends playing it.
I hadn't played HQ for more than 25 years (Space hulk is the one GW game I still play regularly), but did a few weeks back with my 7 year old son - and not only does he get it, but is completely taken by it...
So now we play regularly - needless to say, my paint job at the time needed a serious upgrade - so I stripped the miniatures in Dettol, got an army painter set and got to work.
Here is the result - still work in progress for a few details.
Strange for me to get to do this again. At the time i was painting, no internet and very few ways to learn about painting techniques.
Drybrushing and heavy washes were the extend of my knowledge then - now tutorials everywhere but still this is a learning curve, and that's were I am now.
These HQ minis are pretty hard to paint, not the most detailed/defined minis, a bit of paint build up and things turn to a mess. The wizard is the one I am most dissatisfied with and might give it another go all together (I have another set of minis).
Anyway hope you like it,comments welcomed!
Cheers!

Baltogu

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroquest Redo

Postby mitchiemasha » May 8th, 2017, 8:58 am

Good job... I'd say a red head barbarian gets an extra combat d6, easily.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby thequester » May 8th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Welcome! :D
Nice painting, I love it that those photos are 100% "in-setting" so to speak, nothing around to hint that anything else exists than that fantasy world :o
Almost makes them come alive.
I also have a project of re-painting (with a 2nd set) the HQ minis I crappily painted oh so long ago :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir!
thequester

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 10th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Congratulations on finding another use of your Hero Quest set with your son! May it lead to many great adventures.

I also like the cathedral backdrop--nice touch. If you do decide to paint the other set of Heroes, I'd be sure to clean the flashing off the next Elf's hand (if it has that problem.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Baltogu » November 26th, 2017, 5:43 am

Daedalus wrote:Congratulations on finding another use of your Hero Quest set with your son! May it lead to many great adventures.

I also like the cathedral backdrop--nice touch. If you do decide to paint the other set of Heroes, I'd be sure to clean the flashing off the next Elf's hand (if it has that problem.)

Thanks guys, I'm still at it and I'll post pictures of the finished set one day.
Yeah the elf looks like his hand was stung by a giant bee. I had skipped the cleaning step 25 years ago!
The backdrop is a flat packed cardboard castle I'd bought for my kid a while back.
It does indeed look like the heroes are stepping out of the king's palace on their way to the dungeon :)
I've since got these amazing paper buildings from http://www.davesgames.net/ (I'm looking ahead at playing Mordheim one day, but the rules are too complicated for an 8 year old).
Just discovered that the US rules were pretty different too, with different body stats for monsters. That's interesting enough and will try playing this way.
Baltogu

Hero:

Postby lestodante » November 27th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Nice paint job.. as you sayd the wizard is the mo9st unsatisfiyng... I guess you used a wash on the skin and suit that is too dark for the purpose.
The same for the barbarian but it works if you wish to give him a dark skintone.
The elf and the dwarf have a better flesh, more clean.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 27th, 2017, 4:13 pm

I love the "blacklined" look, very reminiscent of 90's miniatures. It's cool to see someone working their way through the history of mini painting! Welcome back to the hobby.

I feel like the barbarian is right out of an 80's Bowie music vid. "ME NOT CONFORM TO GENDER STEREOTYPES!"
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 28th, 2017, 12:20 am

benvoliothefirst wrote:I love the "blacklined" look, very reminiscent of 90's miniatures. It's cool to see someone working their way through the history of mini painting! Welcome back to the hobby.

I feel like the barbarian is right out of an 80's Bowie music vid. "ME NOT CONFORM TO GENDER STEREOTYPES!"

AAAH-Ha-ha! :D A Social Justice Warrior.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Miniatures