• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Solo Quest Pack] [Trollslayer] - Solace and Redemption

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

[Solo Quest Pack] [Trollslayer] - Solace and Redemption

Postby The Road Warrior » October 5th, 2014, 11:04 am

QUEST BOOK
A solo quest pack for my version of the Trollslayer.

Trollslayer
MovementAttack DiceDefense DiceBody PointsMind Points
2d62282
  • The Trollslayer may only use Axes and Hammers.
  • Before attacking the Trollslayer always goes berserk.

Quests
  1. The Black Orc
  2. The Revenant
  3. The Ogre
  4. The Doomguard
  5. The Troll

New Rules
Going Berserk
The Trollslayer has a new combat ability, going berserk. When going berserk the Trollslayer’s attacks become much more deadly but, at the same time his defence becomes worse.

Every time the Trollslayer attacks, immediately before rolling the combat die they must take one Rage Token. They then modify their attack strength, rolling one additional combat die for each Rage Token they currently hold.
When defending the Trollslayer must modify their defence strength, rolling one less combat die for each Rage Token they currently hold.

The Trollslayer may never hold more rage tokens than their defence score i.e. when their defence reaches zero they do not take any additional Rage Tokens. However they must continue to modify their attack and defence rolls based on the number of Rage Tokens they currently hold.

Calming down again
At the beginning of each of the Trollslayer’s turns, if there are no monsters visible, he removes one of the Rage Tokens he currently holds.

New Items
ImageImageImageImage

Monsters
NOTE: These quest have been written and playtested using the NA monster stats for BP

[Additional components needed: 8 Coffin Tiles (from Return of the Witch Lord), Ice Cave Entrance Tile (from Frozen Horror), 2 Small and 2 large Stairway Tiles (from Keller's Keep), Stone Door (from Against the Ogre Horde), +1 Tomb, Trap Door Tile (from KK or RotWL), Surface Tile (from AtOH)

This Quest Pack is suitable for a Trollslayer with starting equipment. -edit]
Last edited by Daedalus on October 5th, 2016, 10:11 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Reason: formatting
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Solo Quest Pack] [Trollslayer] - Solace and Redemption

Postby The Road Warrior » October 5th, 2014, 11:28 am

The Black Orc
“The Runepriest was mortally wounded when you found him on the side of the road. Before dying he recounted his tale to you of how his group was ambushed and slaughtered by greenskins led by a towering Black Orc. The rune stones he was carrying were stolen and he begs that you hunt down the Black Orc, recover the runes and return them to his clan’s shrine. Honour bound
by the oath you swore to the dying priest you have tracked down the Orc’s lair.
"

1. This treasure chest is inscribed with a Dwarven seal. It contains two portions of Stonebread. Each one will restore up to two lost Body Points when eaten.
  2. If the Trollslayer searches for treasure in this room, he will find two handaxes. The player may take two handaxe cards form the Equipment deck.
  3. The Runestones are on the sorceror’s table. The player will be rewarded with 75 gold at the end of the quest if he returns them.
  4. D This Treasure chest contains a Potion of Resilience and a potion of Healing that will restore up to four lost Body points.
  5. This Treasure chest contains 100 gold.
    The Black Orc
    Attack: 3
    Defend: 4
    Move: 7
    Mind: 3
    Body: 4
Wandering Monster: Image
Last edited by The Road Warrior on November 17th, 2014, 6:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 5th, 2014, 11:39 am

Interesting rules. I think he would be very effective at taking on a single powerful monster but very vulnrable against multiple lesser monsters. If was fighter four goblins for example, after he's taken one turn he'll get attack three times defending with one dice and then attacked three times defending with no dice, and that's assuming he kills one per turn. That's without any of your items though.

"At the beginning of each of the Trollslayer’s turns, if there are no monsters visible, he may remove one of the Rage Tokens he currently holds." I think 'At the beginning of each of the Trollslayer’s turns, if there are no monsters visible, he removes one of the Rage Tokens he currently holds.' would be better.

by the way, with a battleaxe and the two extra defence items he'll have eight attack dice if he wants!

Very minor point, it doesn't seem right to have a defensive rune on a weapon. It should be on armour.

How many quests are there in the pack?
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 5th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Interesting rules. I think he would be very effective at taking on a single powerful monster but very vulnrable against multiple lesser monsters. If was fighter four goblins for example, after he's taken one turn he'll get attack three times defending with one dice and then attacked three times defending with no dice, and that's assuming he kills one per turn.

Thank you and your assessment of this hero is spot on. Those goblins can be lethal when you are rolling 0 defence dice. I actually had to water down a lot of the encounters in this quest to give the Slayer any chance of survival. I have run through this quest many times now and it is not uncommon for the slayer to be down to 4BP by the time he gets to quest note A. All it takes is one botched attack roll!

Gold Bearer wrote: That's without any of your items though.

We'll see how they pan out in future quests. I'm looking forward to seeing how this character develops when I start adding these.

Gold Bearer wrote: 'At the beginning of each of the Trollslayer’s turns, if there are no monsters visible, he removes one of the Rage Tokens he currently holds.'

Thanks again and you are correct. Removing the rage token is not optional as my original wording suggested. I'll edit the first post. |_P

Gold Bearer wrote:by the way, with a battleaxe and the two extra defence items he'll have eight attack dice if he wants!

And 0 defence! Like you said earlier, multiple enemies are gonna take this hero down in no time at all. I am considering changing the bracers to be a re-roll 1 die ability instead of roll one extra die which will reduce his max rage by one. It will all depend on playtesting of later quests.

Gold Bearer wrote:Very minor point, it doesn't seem right to have a defensive rune on a weapon. It should be on armour.

Perhaps, but I've banned him from buying armour (except Trollslayer specific artefacts it seems!) and this seemed like a reasonable replacement.

Gold Bearer wrote:How many quests are there in the pack?

I haven't decided. Usually I try have a story in mind when I begin writing a quest pack but I am approaching this one in a different way- there is currently no story. The pack is created simply for the purpose of playtesting this character. 3 or 4 may be reasonable to try him out at various different levels of advancement. I'll just continue to add quests as and when I feel inspired.

Thanks for your feedback Gold Bearer, now go and try the quest out and let me know how you get on ;) |_P

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 5th, 2014, 5:47 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:by the way, with a battleaxe and the two extra defence items he'll have eight attack dice if he wants!
And 0 defence! Like you said earlier, multiple enemies are gonna take this hero down in no time at all. I am considering changing the bracers to be a re-roll 1 die ability instead of roll one extra die which will reduce his max rage by one. It will all depend on playtesting of later quests.
Actually with the attacking rune it will be nine attack dice! That's got to be a record. He's a troll slayer though so it's appropriate.

The Road Warrior wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Very minor point, it doesn't seem right to have a defensive rune on a weapon. It should be on armour.
Perhaps, but I've banned him from buying armour (except Trollslayer specific artefacts it seems!) and this seemed like a reasonable replacement.
Of course. I wasn't thinking.

I'll p-b-p with you if you like. I haven't looked at the quest, you posted it after I wrote my last reply. I wouldn't want to play a whole campaign on my own but I'll play the first quest, and maybe the rest if it's just two or three more. I'd like try these rules.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » October 6th, 2014, 12:11 am

A weapon can be used to block blows. Using your weapon as a shield, in ways like is a full skill set in itself.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 6th, 2014, 4:17 am

mitchiemasha wrote:
A weapon can be used to block blows. Using your weapon as a shield, in ways like is a full skill set in itself.
Just from my old days of playing Warhammer I think. Defensive runes went on armour.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 7th, 2014, 6:06 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Actually with the attacking rune it will be nine attack dice!

I'm not convinced I'll be able too set up a situation where he could survive getting to full rage, it will be a challenge for the final quest in the pack

Gold Bearer wrote:I'll p-b-p with you if you like. .

Sure, I'll set the game up this evening. |_P

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 7th, 2014, 2:49 pm

I've got a beserker character and I haven't finalised the rules yet. I'm interested to see how this plsys. My troll slayer can't use ranged weapons or any type of armour and gets an extra attack dice with axes. I've also put a couple of equipment items in just for him though. War paint to raise his defence by one, that get also be used by the wood elf, and stone bread for him and the gnome, which is a better option for them than buying a healing potion. He progresses the the slayer levels (troll, giant, dragon, demon) as he kills them. Just in case you want to incorporate any of the ideas.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 8th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'm using Stone bread too. I'm considering adding it to the Treasure Deck with the same +2 body points as yours.
I also thought about tattoos in the same way as you are using war paint before settling on axe runes.

I've no plans at present to progress the Slayer through the different levels (troll, giant, dragon, demon). The closest I came to incorporating this is in the quest names. Quest 1 is called 'The Black Orc' and quest 2 'The Revenant'. Later quests may include 'The Chaos Lord' and I guess there will definitely be 'The Troll' at some point as well but I haven't put much thought into that yet. I figured that only the biggest monster in the dungeon would matter to the slayer and so this quest naming system would be appropriate.

I've started a topic for quest 1 in the play-by-post forum if you still want to play.

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs