• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero miniature colors

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Hero miniature colors

Postby Blackthorn » December 10th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Since I started collecting various HQ components, I've been surprised at the variety of colors that the hero miniatures come in. In the image below you can see two Elves from European editions on the left and one from the US on the right. The heroes from the US versions seem pretty consistent, but the European ones range from brick red like the one in the center to the bright fellow on the left. The dark red European ones are slightly more detailed as well.

I don't know what the significance of this is, but I thought it was interesting. The bright red one really stands out to me. When I first saw that color, I thought the Simple Green I used to soften the paint had somehow bleached the plastic.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hero miniature colors

Postby Sjeng » December 11th, 2012, 2:38 am

mine all looked like the center one. never seen lighter versions.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Seb » December 11th, 2012, 4:19 am

The US figures certainly seem less detailed than the central UK figure. I use US models for conversions over the UK pieces.

Whilst painting up my collection, I've noticed even varying levels of casting quality.

So far I tend to buy from eBay UK sellers over other locations if the images lack quality.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 12th, 2012, 1:45 am

I think the bright European ones came with the first edition(s) of the game, very soon (after a few weeks/months) replaced with the darker, more detailed ones,
simultaneously with the new card texts and rule book changes. I think...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » December 12th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Seb wrote:The US figures certainly seem less detailed than the central UK figure. I use US models for conversions over the UK pieces.

Whilst painting up my collection, I've noticed even varying levels of casting quality.

So far I tend to buy from eBay UK sellers over other locations if the images lack quality.

Interesting. Maybe when Milton Bradley and Games Workshop split MB needed to make new molds and lacked access to the original sculpts. Anybody here (drathe) know if the GW-MB split predates the NA sets of 1990?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Seb » December 12th, 2012, 6:32 pm

I think the bright European ones came with the first edition(s) of the game, very soon (after a few weeks/months) replaced with the darker, more detailed ones,

Which could be why my original set has the darker plastic pieces, I bought it in Australia and quite likely, was the second wave release for markets beyond UK/USA.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » December 13th, 2012, 1:30 am

Daedalus wrote:Anybody here (drathe) know if the GW-MB split predates the NA sets of 1990?

I don't believe it does. Mage of the Mirror and Frozen Horror both have some Citadel Miniatures in them. (Ogres and Mercenaries)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » December 13th, 2012, 1:19 pm

drathe wrote:Mage of the Mirror and Frozen Horror both have some Citadel Miniatures in them. (Ogres and Mercenaries)

I thought all of the HQ miniatures were made by Citadel.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » December 13th, 2012, 7:32 pm

I don't believe the exclusive MM and FH miniatures are. But I could be wrong.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 14th, 2012, 5:22 pm

My thinking is when MB and GW were in partnership, MB had legal rights to the figures from the base set and the first four, non-North American expansions. That would include the Men-at-arms and the Ogres. Basically, they were contracted for the game. I figure that after the split MB retained ownership of the rights to produce the figures, but GW got to keep the molds and greens (original sculpts) as their own property. Thus, MB created molds from already-cast plastic figures, not the original greens. This is evidenced by less detail, as Seb reports. Do the NA Mercenaries and Ogres exhibit this same lack of detail? My guess is yes.

I think drathe is right that the other figures from the EQP and BQP were sculpted and molded entirely by the US arm of MB. Skyknight got his 4-ups of the original BQP and EQP sculpts from the games development guys at Hasbro. Hasbro bought out MB, including the building where HQ was produced. Toco showed us the concept artists were also hired by MB-US. Those 4-ups almost certainly were made in the MB-US factory from the originals in the same building. It's a safe bet to say this is where the exclusive BQP and EQP figures were originally designed and produced.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Game Systems