• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Workshop : New Heroes and Complete Set Painting

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Workshop : New Heroes and Complete Set Painting

Postby Seb » March 1st, 2012, 7:55 pm

Hi All,

As mentioned in my introduction, I've long been a player/collector of Heroquest and miniature hobby enthusiast.

These last few months I've been turning my attention to modifying HQ miniatures and remaking bases, with an aim to keep to the classic, minimal aesthetics of the original models. Which often means raiding eBay and buying old school plastic kits. The following are new heroes I have put together so far, with only a little putty work left to finish them before paint : Warning : Graphic Mutilation of OOP Heroquest plastic models ahead, reader discretion is advised.

The Dwarves : Older warrior & Clansman.

Image Image

The Others : Empire Hero (modified Adv.Heroquest Man at Arms) and a fairly obvious rebasing of the Talisman 3rd Edition Halfling (Least inspiring addition)

Image Image

I have also been collecting Kev Adams models from the late 80's period, prior to finishing their bases, thought you may like a side by side comparison of HQ Orcs and Warhammer 1st Edition orcs (who are more slight than the HQ Orc) :

Image Image

The HQ orc I will paint closer to the card art next time; black belt, more mustard shirt and less rich brown boots and possibly lose the ruddy lip.

Further projects

Moving on thought folks might like to see where I began then now, and also a metal take on our favourite Elf (he has a bow, quiver and satchel on the back, my favourite WHqst figure short of my Bret.Knight)

Image Image

Finally, a community poll :

Kev Adams snotlings, or Brian Nelson snotlings? (Left and Right respectively below)

Image Image

I'm torn between both sculptors' style and can't decide which set of runts to go with, basically need to bounce the conundrum off fellow enthusiasts, your thoughts? :)

thanks for reading,
Seb
. :)
Last edited by Seb on December 18th, 2012, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Workshop : Questing for new Heroes (and monsters)

Postby cynthialee » March 1st, 2012, 8:08 pm

way outa my league.

You rock.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mako-heart » March 1st, 2012, 8:17 pm

I have no opinion on the snotlings, but i really like your scout i think he is really HQ based. and your painting is really quite good. Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures . Check out my Dark elf and sorcerres , they are new heros with new downloadable charater cards i got an image in the gallery of them 8-)
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » March 2nd, 2012, 4:23 am

Good work.

I like the Empire Hero, I might have to make one of them for myself.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » March 2nd, 2012, 6:52 am

Me too... the “empire hero” is perfect! But I like them all, as the second dwarf and of course the barbarian with the fantastic healing potion at his belt.

All of them have the old style feeling, where the heroes are like they taking poses waiting for the photo shoot and not like having action as the modern style defines. Great job!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » March 2nd, 2012, 7:46 am

cynthialee wrote:way outa my league.

You rock.

My sentiments exactly :P I wish I could mod like that, but I'm afraid I'll mess up my mini's...
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby tasoe » March 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm

Seb wrote:Finally, a community poll :

Kev Adams snotlings, or Brian Nelson snotlings? (Left and Right respectively below)

Firstly, welcome to the community! As part of the community I vote on the left snotling. Don't ask me why, it just seems more fitting to the HQ style.

Also, let me congratulate you on those conversions and paintjobs. The orcs are awesome as well.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » March 2nd, 2012, 11:04 pm

Thanks everyone, good to see no one has burned me at the stake for chopping up HQ Orcs and old school Adv.Heroquest miniatures :)

I'll admit I was aiming for the men at arms Scout character, but it evolved into a Hero figure quickly. I originally use a enclosed Empire helm, but after some deliberation chose the open face helm for more 'character'.

The Barbarian has a couple of very subtle modifications. I filled in the mould groove that occurs across the temples next to his eyes and added a couple of hair strands on his forehead, losing that rather Fabio hairline. Hoping to grab some basecoat this weekend and put paint to model on these and several monsters. :)

I think the most fun finds are metal variations of the Heroquest group. I've discovered a Barbarian, Dwarf and Elf so far, but no wizard sadly.

Talking new models, I tend to agree with Tasoe, the Kev Adams snotling suits better - let alone being the same sculptor. I am so on the 50/50 margin, I just needed a second opinion. :D

More soon, and thanks for the great feedback!

Seb

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 3rd, 2012, 3:14 am

Looking very good.

Definitely Kev Adams... He is old school and so is Hero Quest.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » March 3rd, 2012, 7:57 am

I've just purchased parts to make my own Empire Hero. Someones going to have to make a character card for him :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Miniatures