• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Making a modern HeroQuest font

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby Anderas » November 4th, 2015, 7:11 am

I just made two symbols for adjacent and diagonal. I will upload them tonight.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby slev » November 4th, 2015, 7:16 am

Well, this is progressing nice & quickly!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby knightkrawler » November 4th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:KK: Do you mean a water-drop-shaped MP icon? I have several in that vein I could use; perhaps the third one from the left in the following image?


Yup, that'll work just fine. But filled out completely black and as big as the heart would be even nicer. I'm anal-retentive that way.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby slev » November 4th, 2015, 12:32 pm

I know that Mohawk has that shape in his existing font!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby Count Mohawk » November 4th, 2015, 12:54 pm

slev wrote:I know that Mohawk has that shape in his existing font!

Believe it or not, that particular icon is the result of an error! The original shape included a small white curve on the left side, much like the one on the smaller drop of water I use for the "Water magic" glyph. FontForge didn't read the vector shape correctly, so instead it was all black.

If you have a Photoshop, I'd like to know two things from each of you: What version of Photoshop is it?, and Can you get it to display the special characters from my font? ("ITCClearface-HQ", not the new one I'm working on). Suffice to say, a font is only as useful as its ability to be used. For example, I have two Photoshops: Elements 7.0 and CS2. I don't have any problems with Elements 7, but if I try to put any custom symbols into CS2 the font abruptly changes to "Myriad Pro", and no amount of cajoling will change it back for those symbols. I suspect there's probably something wrong with the way I constructed the font, but it might be Adobe's problem as well...


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 696
Joined: July 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Location: New England, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby Anderas » November 4th, 2015, 1:16 pm

I can't use ITC-Clearface Mohawk version in my version of Photoshop; which is Elements 11. However, i find it more practical to do the non-graphical layout in Powerpoint :shock: :o , so that's no issue for me. :D


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby cornixt » November 4th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Any chance of tally markers? That is the symbol that looks like four vertical lines which are then crossed by a diagonal line to look like a gate. Ideally, these would be transposed as follows:
1 I
2 II
3 III
4 IIII
5 IIII (and diagonal line)
6-9 would have one full gate and partial gates that add to the number.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
cornixt

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 813
Joined: November 4th, 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby slev » November 4th, 2015, 3:22 pm

My version of photoshop is that old, I have to fire up a virtual PC of WinXp just to run it. I think this is what Mr Noah used to draw up boat schematics.

I'll pick up a cheap copy of elements 7 or 8 or whatever via ebay, once we know what this works on!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby Count Mohawk » November 4th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Yeah, I could do tally marks. Do you want them stacked vertically? For example, 8 would be:
IIII
III
Going over 10 seems unnecessary, unless you're counting gold with them or something.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 696
Joined: July 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Location: New England, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Making a modern HeroQuest font

Postby clmckay » November 4th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Hmm....I like the idea of hash marks. Do you really need over 5 though?

Couldn't any number be made from 1 - 5 hash marks?


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 527
Joined: March 16th, 2014, 10:25 am
Location: USA
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests