• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Compatible Miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: HeroQuest Compatible Miniatures

Postby Spacemunkie » May 7th, 2015, 7:53 am

Cheers for the kind words. Haven't painted many figures in recent years and these have rekindled my interest. Original Rogue Trader era Eldar next :)

There's nothing flash about the way I blend: thinned paint, wet on dry, then feather the edges to make the blend. For bright primaries such as the cloaks, I begin with the midtone then shade down and tint up as opposed to starting dark and just applying highlights.

You're bang on with the off white comment - sand, bone, ivory and pale flesh are my tints of choice as they don't go as chalky as pure white and 'soften' the highlights a bit. Likewise for the shading, I almost never use black.

The only genuinely 'magic' thing I use is Revell Matt Enamel varnish. Amazing stuff. Completely flat!
Spacemunkie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: April 19th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroQuest Compatible Miniatures

Postby Anderas » May 7th, 2015, 8:00 am

Wow these are really really good. I follow KK in every sentence of his post!


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: HeroQuest Compatible Miniatures

Postby Redav » May 7th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Spacemunkie wrote:The only genuinely 'magic' thing I use is Revell Matt Enamel varnish. Amazing stuff. Completely flat!

Good to hear, I've been wondering what I should try for finishing these things
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master
 
Posts: 486
Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 6:28 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HeroQuest Compatible Miniatures

Postby Sjeng » May 10th, 2015, 8:30 am

I've seen those minis for sale on a webstore a long while back... They were pretty expensive if I recall correctly.
But that paintjob... man... First seb with his amazeballs paintjobs, and now this... Amazing. One one hand it makes me wanna quit painting, because I will never learn how to do that (and it's not just skill that's lacking but also TIME), but it also kinda inspires me to try and paint more often...
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: HeroQuest Compatible Miniatures

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » May 10th, 2015, 9:28 am

Don't forget any of the GW Mordhiem range.
Many many moons ago my sister came back with a load of minis she got from a car boot sale for me, they were all from "the legend of zagor" at the time I thought they were pretty cool, but that might have been because they were new, but I didn't get the complete game. Now though I have found some of the minis again and though that they would be awesome for HQ games, but being the child I was I have lost many of the minis, especially the cool hero's, such as the fighter with the turtle shell shield, they might be hidden in a box in my loft somewhere or possibly thrown away :( But I would love to get my hands on them again. I know that I have Zagor and the dragon as well as a hand full of the monsters, on my DVD shelves as ornaments.
Still can't help but what happened to the hero's. I think I also have the dodgy electronic noise making thing too somewhere!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 434
Images: 32
Joined: June 29th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: uk, bucks
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Proxy Figures

Postby Daedalus » May 28th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Sjeng wrote:I think there's another proxy thread somewhere here with many pictures and examples of other models and size comparisons.

I believe Sjeng means this: HeroQuest Compatible Miniatures
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5332
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Alternative miniatures for Quest Packs

Postby Saiyaforthelight » August 28th, 2015, 10:39 am

Hi all. As a resident of the UK, I'm finding it tricky to get hold of a copy of the Barbarian and Elf Quest packs at a reasonable price. Does anyone know the best place in the UK to get alternatives to the wolves, yetis, Frozen Horror etc?
My rules, modifications, spells and quests: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3380

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir
 
Posts: 74
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Alternative miniatures for Quest Packs

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » August 28th, 2015, 11:26 am

do you mean proxy/substitute models from other ranges, or re-casts of the originals?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 434
Images: 32
Joined: June 29th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: uk, bucks
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Alternative miniatures for Quest Packs

Postby Saiyaforthelight » August 28th, 2015, 11:52 am

Either really. I'm looking for substitutes at the moment, didn't think about recasts.
My rules, modifications, spells and quests: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3380

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir
 
Posts: 74
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Alternative miniatures for Quest Packs

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » August 28th, 2015, 12:42 pm

http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Miniatures/Manufacturers/

here is a link to a huge list of mini makers for you to trawl through and see if you can find anything.

I think there is another thread about good recasts, mainly sellers that can be found on ebay, don't know its link though! I'm sure if you just search for recasts yo'll find it.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 434
Images: 32
Joined: June 29th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: uk, bucks
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests