• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Appearance of Orcs (and other Goblinoids)

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Appearance of Orcs (and other Goblinoids)

Postby knightkrawler » January 12th, 2014, 2:15 pm

I used it as a comparative noun to "nerd", as from every instance I heard an American use the word I got the sense that this is precisely the meaning.
I am sometimes very intuitive in my use of language.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Appearance of Orcs (and other Goblinoids)

Postby wolfie907 » January 12th, 2014, 7:41 pm

that's how it is used kk, but it is a word for horse cock originally


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 543
Joined: September 28th, 2012, 2:42 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Appearance of Orcs (and other Goblinoids)

Postby Goblin-King » January 13th, 2014, 2:20 am

d'cock :lol:


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Appearance of Orcs (and other Goblinoids)

Postby Malcadon » January 13th, 2014, 6:50 am

Wait, want were we talking about again? :?

hummm...?

Oh yeah, do Orcs [cock/dork/dong/whatever] look better with red or green skin, or something else altogether? And more over, should they seek medical attention for it? :bites-lip:


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Malcadon

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 321
Images: 4
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Appearance of Orcs (and other Goblinoids)

Postby knightkrawler » January 13th, 2014, 12:07 pm

I find them beautiful in a light blue skintone like some of the Confrontation painted ones.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

How do you like your orcs?

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » June 10th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Over the generations the basic look of the orc has evolved and changed.
The basic HQ orc now doesn't resemble that resemble that of most modern interpretations of what an orc is.
I know there is no right or wrong to what one should look like, but the huge muscular ape like men of the contemporary orc from GW is probably very far from the old celtic folk lore or even Tolkiens visions of what an orc should look like.
Back when HQ first came out the generic orc look was quite slight, with long limbs and a heavy jaw but not overly muscular.
GW design changed during their release of the game "GORKA MORKA" The then sculptor "Brian Nelson" changed the look dramatically and the design seem to change over night from there.
Yet other designs of the orc also work, such as the Elder scrolls version, savage with a noble quality as to the degenerate race within the LOTR.

What do you guys think? What is your interpretation of an orc? What should it be like to you?
Post pics ect. a tell me
:orc:
Last edited by Daedalus on June 12th, 2014, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged from "How Do You Like Your Orcs?" thread


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 434
Images: 32
Joined: June 29th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: uk, bucks
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: How do you like your orcs?

Postby torilen » June 10th, 2014, 1:13 pm

I usually think of HQ orc or D&D orc when I think orc. Those are really the only orcs I know or have seen.
I haven't looked much at mythical orcs or anything from legend like that.

I have looked at goblins, and I have varying views on goblins at times, depending what I am using them for.
I typically end right back at the D&D version, unfortunately...though, as of late, I have thought of goblins in
the terms of Magic the Gathering. They seem a little more intelligent, yet awkward and clumsy, instead of simply
creatures that don't think much.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: How do you like your orcs?

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » June 10th, 2014, 1:25 pm

I always had the idea that goblins thought too much as opposed to too little, very selfish and spiteful, like how some kids behave, like they never got past that point. But differently not child like in anyway!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 434
Images: 32
Joined: June 29th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: uk, bucks
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: How do you like your orcs?

Postby Teldurn » June 10th, 2014, 1:29 pm

The HQ orc was the first version I was introduced to, so I have a natural tendency to think that's how they all should look. D&D orcs looked different, but were similar enough that I kept the same thinking. Then I watched LotR and those orcs looked way different from what I thought, but through the power of cognitive dissonance, I was like, "Well, movie makeup." Then, there's World of Warcraft, which solidified the orcish look to me. It carried much of the similarities of HQ orcs, but added a bit of humanity. Even still, orcs will always mean to me, jutting lower jaw, larger lower fangs tusks, sloping forehead, greenish-brownish skin, and hunched posture and I'm not sure that will ever change.

I recently started playing TESV:Skyrim and have noticed the orcs in the game look too human for my taste. I understand why that is from a lore and game design standpoint, but for pure aesthetics, I'd really rather they look like how I think they should look. :2cents:
Last edited by Teldurn on June 10th, 2014, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 787
Joined: October 18th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: How do you like your orcs?

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » June 10th, 2014, 1:35 pm

I have some really old and really cool looking fighting fantasy orcs, only about 6 of them, but they to me seem more orcish, with the same qualities, long limbs, hunched, large jaw and tusks. I got them second hand as a kid and they have had so many paint jobs, but they to me are still really handsome models, but again are very different from whats on offer in the market today.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 434
Images: 32
Joined: June 29th, 2010, 5:23 am
Location: uk, bucks
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests