• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Earth's many languages... Many!

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby knightkrawler » August 15th, 2013, 12:55 am

Big Bene wrote:Ever heard Indians (not native Americans, but Indians from India) speak English?


Yes, dat sounds orful widiculess sometimes! Wid a dash of cuwwy.
I had a co-worker from Sri Lanka for ten years. Great guy.
But the Indian Pidgin English is really that... pidgin. Incomprehensible.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby IvenBach » August 15th, 2013, 2:26 am

Pretty much like this?


I would have to say some of the funniest Spanish accents I heard were while I was in Costa Rica hearing the asian store owners talking in broken Spanish. I didn't think I'd heard bad Spanish accents up till that point. Nothing has touched it since. Well maybe Cuban accents :lol:

I didn't want to pick directly on foreigners speaking English... Tasteless link. You've been warned

Last edited by IvenBach on October 6th, 2013, 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited youtube tags


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby Ragner » September 18th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Heard the talking Englishman and an American. As to the ear, then I think that the English classic gentler and more American slang. If I am wrong, please correct me. / Finnish language is very similar to the Russian Karelian. / Guys in your countries and the many dialects of what you yourself can not understand what you say?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Ragner

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
 
Posts: 121
Images: 75
Joined: May 2nd, 2013, 8:26 am
Location: Russia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby TMU » September 18th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Yes, finnish is very similar to the russian Karelian. And that is, because Karelian use to be part of Finland.
And about dialects, I have lived all my life in Jämijärvi, so I have a little twist on my mother tongue. But, my both sides of my family are coming from Rauma, so I can speak texts in Rauma too :)

Use wikipedia on names if interested ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1870
Images: 15
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Location: Rauma, Finland
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby Ragner » September 18th, 2013, 11:40 pm

And where I live, multi-ethnic population, they say here in the Bashkir, Tatar Turkic group. In the area where I live a lot of Russified Germans who remained after the war and started families, so that the German speech could still hear recently (in the 90's, many went home to Germany.) ;)
By the way in schools in the Soviet time, we must have to know or German or English. In some schools, instead of German could be studied French language.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Ragner

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
 
Posts: 121
Images: 75
Joined: May 2nd, 2013, 8:26 am
Location: Russia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby knightkrawler » September 19th, 2013, 2:23 am

Don't wanna come off as self-opinionated, but of course Karelian sound very similar to Finnish.
It's because Karelian is a Finnic language as is Finnish. Some linguists even classify Karelian as a Finnish dialect.
As TMU pointed out, there's Finnish history.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby Kaiyanwang » October 2nd, 2013, 9:45 am

Big Bene wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:Rheinfränkisch, eh? You're lucky they avoid speaking it...
I live in Edenkoben and work in Offenbach on Queich, basically in the heart of the Palatine, so it's very definitely Palatine German (which is of course part of the Rheno-Franconian family). And yes, it's awful. But there are worse dialects around, both German and other.
I can understand Palatian and Berlinerisch (my mother comes from Berlin) quite well, even when it's very thick, but I can't speak any dialect to save my live.

knightkrawler wrote:I can manage High German, Moselfränkisch, Oberpfälzisch, and General American.
Sjeng wrote:And then English, some German, a wee bit French, a few words Spanish. Just enough for having a vacation there

I speak German, English (enough to hold lectures without script), Arabic (not really, but enough to do some polite smalltalk), and read French (not very well), Latin, Dutch and Egyptian (Middle Egyptian, Late Egyptian, Demotic and Coptic).


Grüessech mitenand !

You should have some experience of Swiss German... is.. fascinating in its own way. But I guess that for Austrians or Bavarians is less alien than to people of, say, Hamburg.
__________________________________________________________________

I am Italian, I work in Switzerland now. I use English regularly (I work in Research), I studied French and I have my own terrible German that I try to improve. Still, for me is generally easier to understand Germans or Austrians than Swiss german Speakers. Is true that my boss is German and not Swiss and we alternate English and Hochdeutsch..
User avatar
Kaiyanwang

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 23
Joined: March 17th, 2013, 12:25 pm
Location: Svizzera
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby TMU » October 2nd, 2013, 11:26 am

torilen wrote:
TMU wrote:Suomen kieli on yksi maailman kauneimmista kielistä!


This is Finnish?

Hmm...is he talking about a mailman here? :lol:

So yeah, it is Finnish. It means the world. Not mailman ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1870
Images: 15
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Location: Rauma, Finland
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby knightkrawler » October 2nd, 2013, 11:57 am

Kaiyanwang wrote:I am Italian, I work in Switzerland now. I use English regularly (I work in Research), I studied French and I have my own terrible German that I try to improve. Still, for me is generally easier to understand Germans or Austrians than Swiss german Speakers. Is true that my boss is German and not Swiss and we alternate English and Hochdeutsch..


Swiss German IS one of the worst varieties to understand. The consonant and vowel sounds - that is, any sound - is so different that it takes an evil amount to get used to it.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Earth's many languages... Many!

Postby Kaiyanwang » October 4th, 2013, 5:48 am

knightkrawler wrote:
Kaiyanwang wrote:I am Italian, I work in Switzerland now. I use English regularly (I work in Research), I studied French and I have my own terrible German that I try to improve. Still, for me is generally easier to understand Germans or Austrians than Swiss german Speakers. Is true that my boss is German and not Swiss and we alternate English and Hochdeutsch..


Swiss German IS one of the worst varieties to understand. The consonant and vowel sounds - that is, any sound - is so different that it takes an evil amount to get used to it.


Yep, I still find Austrians or Germans newcomers that struggle. Or other foreigners from Netherlands or France but with a good experience with German.

And the bernese variety.. e becoming ä, l becomin a sort of "u" (schnell --> "schnäu") :shock:
User avatar
Kaiyanwang

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 23
Joined: March 17th, 2013, 12:25 pm
Location: Svizzera
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dromgoole and 1 guest