While I pretty much agree with everything being said, I think they only ever had two routes to go. Re-release HQ in it's original form and content. Or update a lot of stuff.
Obviously the rules could need some cleaning up.
But most of all I'd say there is no excuse in this day and age to make a game with cards
not in full color.
That it would be godlike to have Gary Chalk on board doing color illustrations is a whole other thing!
The cards we've seen are not bad at all, but it's this very common style everybody uses these days. Soft bright colors. It's nice but a little bland.
Besides those cards looks like they all belong in different games! There is no coherent look. The old ones at least had the identifying banner at the bottom.
I hate to say it, but right this moment I'm extremely unexcited about this project.

They gotta give us something good soon!
(I honestly think we in here could make an excellent remake from scratch. We have lots of designers, sculptors, molders, painters - anything you'd need.)
Only problem though would be agreeing on the direction...