• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Daedalus » September 20th, 2020, 2:57 am

@ Blackthorn,
if I recall correctly, you got your collection (with all expansions) for $200 from a seller at BGG. Nice investment, plus you got to play it with your kid!

I'm hoping to see rules consolidation between the NA and EU systems. I'm also looking forward to card text cleanup. It wiill be nice to put certain inconsistencies behind, such as the effect of a Courage spell or the benefit of Borin's Armor.
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5332
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Goblin-King » September 20th, 2020, 3:16 am

Blackthorn wrote:I wonder if this version, assuming it's fairly faithul to the original, will drive down the prices of the originals?

No... just no...
The original HQ is the one people grew up with. It's the REAL HeroQuest. It has the iconic Les Edwards cover. I could go on.
People will still want the original over a modern interpretation.
It's like Magic cards... People still want the old expensive artwork for cards, even if they have been reprinted several times.

But while I don't think we'll see a significant price drop, I do think more people who wouldn't play HQ other vice are going to get the new version.
I know for sure there's a lot of people entering my store, asking for "something like HeroQuest" 8-)


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Weltenlaeufer » September 20th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Love the Bards new video predictions on this. The part that it probably will lean away from realism especially makes sense. My first thought when I saw the new witchlord was Looks very cartoonish.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
User avatar
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 678
Images: 232
Joined: February 18th, 2019, 12:38 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Anderas » September 20th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Goblin-King wrote:
Blackthorn wrote:I wonder if this version, assuming it's fairly faithul to the original, will drive down the prices of the originals?

No... just no...
The original HQ is the one people grew up with. It's the REAL HeroQuest. It has the iconic Les Edwards cover. I could go on.
People will still want the original over a modern interpretation.
It's like Magic cards... People still want the old expensive artwork for cards, even if they have been reprinted several times.

But while I don't think we'll see a significant price drop, I do think more people who wouldn't play HQ other vice are going to get the new version.
I know for sure there's a lot of people entering my store, asking for "something like HeroQuest" 8-)


... What do you answer to them? Conan is too tactical, Zombicide too flat, Descent makes too much of a race... I could go on here. I currently play Darklight with my friends but it doesn't satisfy me entirely.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Goblin-King » September 20th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Anderas wrote:... What do you answer to them?

I start by showing them the original HeroQuest set we actually have for sale in the store :lol:

But really, there's no game that does exactly what HeroQuest does.
Usually I show them stuff like Descent, Gloomhaven, Mice and Mystics and even DOOM, which are all great games mind you. But none of them are HeroQuest.
If new HQ turns out to indeed be a faithful re-make of the original, you can bet I'm gonna be lobbying for us to get it on the shelves |_P


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Fallensaviour » September 20th, 2020, 1:57 pm

You should really try “last night on earth” the zombie game it has a more cinematic feel to it.
It’s a great game though one of the few I’ll play instead of heroquest.


Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 234
Joined: March 1st, 2016, 11:26 pm
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Kurgan » September 20th, 2020, 4:15 pm

The funny thing is that guy has become sort of famous in his own right for starting Hero Quest related Memes (quoting the "brood sword" UK commercial, or talking about "the best thing about Heroquest is..." etc). Also, epic beard is epic! He's probably the most everyone associates with HQ outside of this forum or boardgamegeek. If you are doing a random search for Herqoquest, that's what you'll find, and then some custom made coffee mugs that show the dice symbols and say "this is how I roll" or "chaos" etc. Yeah, bring all HeroQuest fans together, more the merrier I say.

There are a few tropes and memes that have begun for HeroQuest over the years, like doing a video of a "game session" in progress where people complain about rolling to move, and the guy (it's always a guy) playing Zargon sits in the center and wears a stereotypical wizard's hat (??). James Rolfe's (Angry Video Game Nerd aka "Board James") joke was just that a kid gets bored with all the setup and doesn't play it.

People need to realize that when this first came out, it was actually popular. Lots of kid's board games are still in the closet or at the garage sale and you kind of remember having them around, like hungry hungry hippos, cross fire, connect four or fireball island or whatever. The commercial sold it for us when it came out and within a Christmas or two, we had the game system at our house and the first two expansions (never saw any of the others until decades later, still wish I had spent the $25 for EQP & BQP!). That and BattleMasters were the games you could have sold from the commercial alone, and wasn't pure hype but actual quality. That's the thing with so much meme culture, it's mocking kids (who are grown now) for falling for deceptive commercials (we already knew about hype marketing from "Zillions" aka Penny Power... consumer reports for kids back in the day). But many people laughing at the jokes weren't around when those things came out and don't really get it. I'll be the cynical old man wearing the "I played Hero Quest back when it was first cool before it was cool again nowadays..." t-shirt.

Will a new release turn HeroQuest into a mainstream game again like it was in 1991, or will it become a super high priced collector nerd item that disappears from shelves immediately to be sold for four times the prices next to the "Stranger Things" merch on ebay?

The good news is that no matter what this turns out to be, we'll still have the old stuff to enjoy.

Time will tell. I am still holding out that it's a digital board game or some kind, unless somehow the ESRB is rating websites now instead of games...
Last edited by Kurgan on September 22nd, 2020, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Azure » September 20th, 2020, 11:08 pm

I just googled the Avalon Hill HeroQuest countdown - - I don't see the page anymore !!

So would that mean that the kickstarter (or whatever it is) is officially starting ?
Azure

Gargoyle
Gargoyle
 
Posts: 147
Images: 1
Joined: August 23rd, 2020, 9:16 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby arntisdale » September 20th, 2020, 11:57 pm

arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle
 
Posts: 145
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 2:12 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Pancho » September 21st, 2020, 4:37 am

Must admit I’m getting pretty excited now.


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: April 12th, 2017, 10:43 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest