Weapons and Armors being equipped and unequipped.
This conversation started in the Plate Armor thread by Draven.
Ethica wrote this:
Agreed Daedalus, "equipping" a suit a plate armour would take ages.
The problem with weapons though is about weight. If the number of weapons you were allowed to carry wasn't a problem you could easily say "I'm going to use a battle axe when I'm attacking and a broadsword and shield when I'm defending". To simplify all this I only allow 1 main weapon (broadsword, battleaxe, spear, staff), 1 back-up weapon (throwing axe, shortsword, crossbow) and the armour you will be allowed to wear (no shield with battleaxe). I think this is a perfectly fair system, I don't think a hero should be allowed to bear 20 different swords each having advantages for a different kind of monster.
My thought was this:
I've made it a ruling that characters can carry 4 weapons on their person (unless they are all really big, like battle axes - in which case...only three).
It takes an action to put one away or ready it - or a full turn to switch between two different weapons.
As far as armor goes - I've made this ruling:
Chain mail takes 2 turns to put on or take off (basically, slide it on and tie a few things)
Plate mail takes 3 turns to put on or take off. SO - if you were going to switch between armors, it would take a while. You would also
have to include time to put away and ready weapons, shields, helmets, and such.
Just my opinion.
Ethica wrote this:
Agreed Daedalus, "equipping" a suit a plate armour would take ages.
The problem with weapons though is about weight. If the number of weapons you were allowed to carry wasn't a problem you could easily say "I'm going to use a battle axe when I'm attacking and a broadsword and shield when I'm defending". To simplify all this I only allow 1 main weapon (broadsword, battleaxe, spear, staff), 1 back-up weapon (throwing axe, shortsword, crossbow) and the armour you will be allowed to wear (no shield with battleaxe). I think this is a perfectly fair system, I don't think a hero should be allowed to bear 20 different swords each having advantages for a different kind of monster.
My thought was this:
I've made it a ruling that characters can carry 4 weapons on their person (unless they are all really big, like battle axes - in which case...only three).
It takes an action to put one away or ready it - or a full turn to switch between two different weapons.
As far as armor goes - I've made this ruling:
Chain mail takes 2 turns to put on or take off (basically, slide it on and tie a few things)
Plate mail takes 3 turns to put on or take off. SO - if you were going to switch between armors, it would take a while. You would also
have to include time to put away and ready weapons, shields, helmets, and such.
Just my opinion.