Page 1 of 3

Best Fimir for 2021 Remake? (replacing Abomination)

PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 1:18 pm
by Kurgan
So I'm looking for miniatures to use with the 2021 Hasbro Remake that more closely approximate the original designs in the proper scale.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Fimir (replace Abominations)?

I know the old Warhammer fantasy versions ("oldhammer") in metal are pretty darn rare and expensive. I'd be more for something in plastic anyway. Or is 3d printing the way to go with something like this? I like the "leaning forward with axe in hand" design I've seen all over the place, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake?

PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 4:54 pm
by HispaZargon
I think the best option is 3D printed models at same scale as remake miniatures, some examples:

https://www.etsy.com/es/listing/944397285/fimir-heroquest-remake-dungeonworks
https://www.etsy.com/es/listing/821895947/fimir-shaman-warrior-heroquest-minis3d?ref=pla_sameshop_listing_top-2

The Citadel old school fimirs are also a good option of course since they are bigger than the original plastic model of HeroQuest:

http://www.solegends.com/citc/c025fimir/index.htm

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake?

PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 6:47 pm
by Cael Darkhollow
HispaZargon wrote:I think the best option is 3D printed models at same scale as remake miniatures, some examples:

https://www.etsy.com/es/listing/944397285/fimir-heroquest-remake-dungeonworks
https://www.etsy.com/es/listing/821895947/fimir-shaman-warrior-heroquest-minis3d?ref=pla_sameshop_listing_top-2

The Citadel old school fimirs are also a good option of course since they are bigger than the original plastic model of HeroQuest:

http://www.solegends.com/citc/c025fimir/index.htm

Those Citadels are seriously pricey collector's minis now, and difficult to find at any rate. Not to mention they have bases the size of four original HeroQuest squares and are taller than ogres. They simply won't work for original HeroQuest fimir but might for the new board scale.
Forgeworld made some fimir that also are too big and too expensive and now out of print and hard to find as well.
https://spikeybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/fimir-warriors-sold-out.jpg

The only other vintage fimir (1987 citadel) that is actually the correct size for original HQ is this metal miniature (which I have)
http://www.solegends.com/citle1990/misc/lefimir/index.htm

For the new game as replacements you are better off going with the fan made custom fimir on Etsy, they can be got fairly cheap for small lots

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake?

PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 8:41 pm
by Kurgan
Yeah I love the Le Fimir '87 design. Honestly the HQ Fimir is the most dynamic, interesting pose to me of all the various ones out there. But if he was just a tad bigger he'd be perfect. The Etsy ones are resin, which looks good but are a little fragile. I might shell out to have BGM print some for me, once I get the right size figured out (their size calculator is a bit weird).

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake?

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 10:56 am
by Kurgan
I see there's a "Big" version of the above that is great looking, but due to his wide stance, the round base is pretty huge (or there's a base-less version). Maybe a version scaled up to Ogre size would look the best (with 1 inch base).

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake? (replacing Abomination)

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 11:43 am
by Pancho
I like the Etsy fimirs and have a few of them, but they are scaled to match the original figures and might look a bit odd next to the significantly larger Hasbro stuff.
Litchmyre dungeon is another option. Could be perfect for new Heroquest because they are bigger figures and might fit well on the larger Hasbro board.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ze ... 2389334017

These are the kind of figures we could have got with the re-release :cry:
Honestly, if money isn’t a constraint this would be the ultimate way of doing HQ in my opinion. Hasbro gameboard, tiles, furniture, doors, but with Litchmyre figures, and original cards and artwork.

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake? (replacing Abomination)

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 5:41 pm
by Kurgan
Well you don't really even need the Remake board, if you don't mind having your own version printed for $35-45. I made such a one based on the classic board sometime before the remake was released.

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake? (replacing Abomination)

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 5:56 pm
by Kurgan
I wonder... are those injection moulded Zealot square bases the right size for the Remake miniatures? (Other than the dragon of course)

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake? (replacing Abomination)

PostPosted: November 16th, 2021, 4:06 am
by Pancho
Kurgan wrote:I wonder... are those injection moulded Zealot square bases the right size for the Remake miniatures? (Other than the dragon of course)

The bases sold by Zealot are the exact same size/shape as the original square bases. So you would only need to compare your Hasbro figures next to one of your old figures to see if they would fit on the base. I’m guessing that most of them would, but maybe a few would go better on the old Ogre-sized base.

Re: Best Fimir for 2021 Remake? (replacing Abomination)

PostPosted: December 10th, 2021, 9:28 am
by banjo_oz
I'd love some alternative suggestions too, even if they aren't actual Fimir minis.

While I totally understand having to get rid of Fimir from the re-release (much as I loved them in the original :fimir: ) due to them being explicitly GW IP, I really wish Hasbro/Avalon Hill had gone with a closer approximation in the rerelease than fish monsters!

In the past, I always thought Lizardmen would be a good fit, but now I think even Trolls would be perfect for the mini size and stats. To me, they need to be something stronger than an Orc and able to be imagined as hanging out with other greenskins (Goblins and Orcs) as they often do in the official quest maps, yet found in smaller numbers. In modern video game terms, they're the "bigger stronger enemy type" that prove the first real challenge; minibosses early on and strong regular enemies later.

Making them fish monsters might fit the stats and role, but they really break immersion for me in quests with no "water" theme. I like the concept and would be fine with them as a *new* monster bundled with a mainly-aquatic (or sewer) based quest pack, but as a one-for-one Fimir replacement, they just feel "off" to me.