Page 1 of 1

Playing Basic EU HQ?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2019, 9:22 am
by The Admiral
I have a basic EU HQ set at my wife's flat in London and I decided to play a game of Rescue of Sir Ragnar' using the rules as written, but had a few questions. Any non gold treasure cards, such as a potion, must be returned to the deck at the end of the quest, but what about potions found in the quest notes? Do the Heroes get to keep these for future quests?

I have not played EU HQ for many many years and have long thought it a much easier game than the US version due to the monster stats and BP's, but looking at it fresh I see it has other difficulties. The armoury being limited to the cards, the lack of scrolls, half the artifacts and the point above about returning potions to the deck, all conspire to make the Heroes weaker.

Re: Playing Basic EU HQ?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2019, 1:34 pm
by wallydubbs
The way I've taken to the meaning is that heroes record found potions onto their sheet and cross it off after using it.
The Potion cards do get returned to the deck, but that shouldn't mean the hero loses the Potion completely. In like manner, found potions from the quest notes should be held on to as well to be used in later quests.

Re: Playing Basic EU HQ?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2019, 2:59 pm
by The Admiral
wallydubbs wrote:The way I've taken to the meaning is that heroes record found potions onto their sheet and cross it off after using it.
The Potion cards do get returned to the deck, but that shouldn't mean the hero loses the Potion completely. In like manner, found potions from the quest notes should be held on to as well to be used in later quests.


I think I will do that for quest potions/treasure, but I'm not sure about the cards? Why would the rules tell you to record gold but not other treasure. I just can't remember how I played this 30 years ago!

Re: Playing Basic EU HQ?

PostPosted: August 16th, 2021, 6:18 pm
by Daedalus
The Admiral wrote:. . . Any non gold treasure cards, such as a potion, must be returned to the deck at the end of the quest, but what about potions found in the quest notes? Do the Heroes get to keep these for future quests?. . .

In Against the Ogre Horde Mentor gives the Hero five potions each to last between Quests. That's from the General Rules section--not the Quest Notes--but it shows potions can last between Quests.

The Admiral wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:The way I've taken to the meaning is that heroes record found potions onto their sheet and cross it off after using it.
The Potion cards do get returned to the deck, but that shouldn't mean the hero loses the Potion completely. In like manner, found potions from the quest notes should be held on to as well to be used in later quests.


I think I will do that for quest potions/treasure, but I'm not sure about the cards? Why would the rules tell you to record gold but not other treasure. I just can't remember how I played this 30 years ago!

Gold coin treasure is recorded because it is only used between Quests or saved. Potions, on the other hand, are often used during the Quest they are found in. I think there is no instruction to record them since it is simpler to just hold onto and turn in a card rather than record and erase it on paper. This is a game made for kids, after all.