• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Prince Magnus' Gold & outlaws

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Prince Magnus' Gold & outlaws

Postby Pancho » May 24th, 2019, 9:18 am

j_dean80 wrote:
Anderas wrote:I'd like to troll this thread with an Orc's Babe monster card now. Sadly I have no time. :D

I think it'd make a better Artifact. Less talking that way.

:lol:

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Drew » June 9th, 2019, 3:00 pm

As I understand it:
its 200 for the whole group (in your case the 3 surviving heroes would split the 200 gold).
Elf gets the 250 gold since he kinda stole it.
the rest get nothing, since ALL gold must be brought back to the prince.
So either if its cause one stole one chest (your elf) or cause one didnt carry one (your dwarf) the heroes get nothing.
The thing is the Elf (or whoever "steals" the gold) will never be a "Hero" (or if he has already gotten the title you get it back from him).
You become a Hero by completing 3 quests (I do it in 5 so that there is no plot whole since Magnus gold is Q4) and when you become a Hero you get 500 gold as a reward.
So thats where the characters that dont steal the gold benefit.
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:

Postby hightechartist » August 20th, 2019, 10:43 pm

I've been tweaking each of these quests as I put them into my AI GM I made with google slides.
I'm changing it from gold coins in the chests to a dowry for the eventual marriage of Magnus's younger brother to the young elven princess from the Elf Pack. All the treasure is in the form of jewelry that is easily recognizable as belonging to royalty, so there's really no way for the heroes to cash in on it.
hightechartist

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Kurgan » February 1st, 2020, 12:07 pm

Wow, I totally missed this thread after posting my (regarding the "outlaws" scenario). *Starts reading...*

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mysticforce » May 21st, 2020, 11:31 am

Something I noticed, I doubt they intended this as a rule but in Wizards of Morcar it states "Champions may hire men at arms" so if you got outlawed in this early quest you would not be able to much later hire additional muscle to assist you in your more difficult quests. But I doubt this was intentional or is even intended as a rule. But it was the only place I saw mention of champions in any of my original stuff I own (2nd ed EU version plus all EU available releases)
mysticforce

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Anderas » May 21st, 2020, 11:36 am

mysticforce wrote:Something I noticed, I doubt they intended this as a rule but in Wizards of Morcar it states "Champions may hire men at arms" so if you got outlawed in this early quest you would not be able to much later hire additional muscle to assist you in your more difficult quests. But I doubt this was intentional or is even intended as a rule. But it was the only place I saw mention of champions in any of my original stuff I own (2nd ed EU version plus all EU available releases)

Plus there is nowhere the mention how you can become champion or not... :-)

Many a house rule has been made around this topic.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » May 21st, 2020, 11:52 am

Anderas wrote:Plus there is nowhere the mention how you can become champion or not... :-)

I thought in the UK version you because a champion after completing 3 quests.
In the NA version you become a champion if you complete the game system quest pack...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » May 24th, 2020, 6:37 pm

I like how the Mercenaries are honorable here... aren't they just fighting for money? So maybe an outlaw can only hire the shadier guys... maybe there's a chance they'll run away or turn against you? Or maybe they just cost more or are harder to find? It seems like if somebody really wants to become an outlaw just for a little gold, what are they going to do to get out of it, just "start over" with a new identical character and say it's a different hero who's playing straight this time? Having consequences from quest to quest is something I think that's cool even if it's just something subtle or small.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » May 25th, 2020, 2:55 am

Kurgan wrote:I like how the Mercenaries are honorable here... aren't they just fighting for money? So maybe an outlaw can only hire the shadier guys... maybe there's a chance they'll run away or turn against you? Or maybe they just cost more or are harder to find? It seems like if somebody really wants to become an outlaw just for a little gold, what are they going to do to get out of it, just "start over" with a new identical character and say it's a different hero who's playing straight this time? Having consequences from quest to quest is something I think that's cool even if it's just something subtle or small.

I’ve got two lots of hired help; men-at-arms and mercenaries.
The men-at-arms bear the official Imperial insignia and can only be commanded by Champions of the Empire. Mercenaries are rogues and available for hire even by outlaws. They have the same stats though, it’s just an excuse to add some story and use different models.
I’ve also introduced the idea that if an outlawed Hero completes Kellar’s Keep then they get a pardon from the Emperor. The outlaw did just save his ass, after all.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » August 15th, 2021, 12:02 am

wallydubbs wrote:Although I played the North American version the first time around, where the heroes were not allowed to keep the gold; I do like the European option of an outlaw. Though the rules are not clear as to the consequences, there should definitely some.

If I ever come back to this quest with a new group I'll give them that option. The penalty will be for that hero to forfeit any future rewards from the Emperor.

The rewards are worded differently from quest-to-quest. Some say the gold will be divided up among the heroes, others say the gold will be paid to each hero. They killed Balur, great! Here's 100 for you, 100 for you, 100 for you... oh, you're an outlaw, no reward. This would apply to Quest 7, 8 and 11.

However Quest 12: Barrok Tor, says 200 dividend among the heroes. It could be divided among the 3, but it's up to them if they wish to share with the outlaw.. . .

I agree the outlaw option is cool. I think it could be made a smidgen cooler if tbe Quest 12 reward is divided among all surviving Heroes, minus the Elf's share. So assuming all Heroes complete the Quest objective, they each get 50 gold coins, but the Elf's share is withheld. Now see if the other Heroes are willing to split their fair share . . .
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems