• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Prince Magnus' Gold & outlaws

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Prince Magnus' Gold & outlaws

Postby Pancho » April 25th, 2018, 6:29 am

I have some questions about how the gold reward for this quest actually works. As usual in the original game the rules were a bit vague.
In the intro Mentor states;
"Three Treasure Chests have been stolen whilst being taken to the Emperor. A reward of 200 gold coins has been offered to anyone who can return the chest and ALL the gold. The thieves are known to be a band of orcs hiding in the Black mountains. They are led by Gulthor, a Chaos Warrior".
The questions have arisen because of the following situation which happed in our recent game https://highadventureinaworldofmagic.bl ... -gold.html ; four heroes started the quest, the elf and wizard each collected a chest and escaped with it. The barbarian was killed, the dwarf escaped but the 3rd chest stayed in the dungeon and wasn't brought back. The Elf player then decided to keep the chest that he had.

- What reward do each of the heroes get? Is the 200 gold reward given to each hero that survives or just one that brings back a chest?
- Or is it supposed to be split between them all?
- What happens if it is supposed to be split but only two of the chests were rescued, and only one was actually returned to Prince Magnus?
- The Elf gets 250, that much is clear. Beyond that, I'm horribly confused, and probably overcomplicating things......
Last edited by Pancho on April 25th, 2018, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Prince Magnus' Gold & outlaws

Postby knightkrawler » April 25th, 2018, 8:18 am

what? nonono, the elf gets outlawed and nobody gets any gold in your case. if he hadn't kept that chest, 200 gold would have been split between all survivors.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » April 25th, 2018, 11:29 am

So the other Heroes get punished for the Elf's crime? Interesting. I always saw it as the other heroes getting rewarded for staying honest, whereas the outlawed one is seen as a separate case.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » April 25th, 2018, 11:33 am

I'm not sure still. Rechecking the rule book it says that they get the reward if the bring the CHEST. Not CHESTS. That seems to imply to me that each Hero that delivers a chest gets 200 gold.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » April 25th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Pancho wrote:I'm not sure still. Rechecking the rule book it says that they get the reward if the bring the CHEST. Not CHESTS. That seems to imply to me that each Hero that delivers a chest gets 200 gold.

NA quest book says "A reward of 240 gold coins has been offered to any group of Heroes who return the chests and ALL of the gold."

It says "chests" and emphasizes "all" in capitals. Another instance where the US version is tighter.

The Notes also say "The Heroes cannot keep the gold inside the treasure chests."

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 25th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Pancho wrote:So the other Heroes get punished for the Elf's crime? Interesting. I always saw it as the other heroes getting rewarded for staying honest, whereas the outlawed one is seen as a separate case.

The other heroes get punished for letting the Elf be an *Play-Doh factory* OR for being suspicious of being his accomplices, further freakin' with his royal kingship, of course OR for both.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » April 25th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Not to mention that in NA rules, it is a flat 240 gold...not 240 gold for each hero.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Pancho » April 25th, 2018, 4:58 pm

250 gold (or 240 in NA version) shared between all the heroes makes sense I think. It's only quest 4 and that much gold EACH would be out of place with the rewards given in other early quests. Also what would be the point of stealing 250 gold from the Imperial coffers and becoming outlawed if you can claim 200 anyway (plus another bonus for becoming a champion that you won't ever see if you get outlawed).

So the heroes have to return all three chests (a total of 750 gold) in order to share 200 gold as a reward. Pretty harsh quest. I'm starting to understand how why the designers put all 3 chests in one room. It makes the quest less interesting, but it does give the heroes a decent chance to achieve the quest goal.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » April 25th, 2018, 5:05 pm

A hero's life is never fair. I forgot about the 500gc champion bonus. Is that only in the EU version? That would be funny to let the Elf keep the gold and then when they complete 3 quests you hand out 500gc to the other Heroes and not him :lol:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » April 26th, 2018, 12:44 am

The Admiral wrote:A hero's life is never fair. I forgot about the 500gc champion bonus. Is that only in the EU version? That would be funny to let the Elf keep the gold and then when they complete 3 quests you hand out 500gc to the other Heroes and not him :lol:

Yeah that would be funny :D. I give the Champion bonus at the 7 quest mark. If Bretal the Elf lives that long I can't way to see his face when he misses out on becoming a wealthy Champion of the Realm.

P.S I'm going to let him keep the gold. It explicitly states in the U.K. quest book that they can do so, but become an outlaw. I'm also going to let the Wizard collect 75 gold as a prize for returning one chest to its owner. Seems fair to me.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Game Systems