Page 1 of 2

The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 8:18 am
by Harry
[Topic moved from General HeroQuest Discussion room on 5-29-15]

Wasn't sure where to post these ... feel free to move the thread if there is a better spot for it.

I have posted these a couple of other places on the interwebz but thought folks here might find them of interest:

So what you see here is the original sculpts for the HeroQuest furniture before it was re-sculpted as 3ups for the plastic that ended up in the box set.

They are a little bit smaller, a little bit more detailed and they  are a good deal 'sharper without the 'no undercut' restrictions that plastic imposes on the sculptor.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 7:16 pm
by wolfie907
how did you come by these?

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 8:23 am
by mitchiemasha
but are these original or someones remakes?

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 9:28 am
by Harry
@wolfie
I have been known to aquire things from time to time. :D

@michiemasher
These are original ... and pre date Heroquest. Someone would have sculpted these. Someone else (Or the same sculptor depending who it was) would have copied these as 3ups for the plastic process. Then someone in 'development' would have sent these originals downstairs to someone in 'production' and got a mould made so someone could 'spin up' a few sets. One of these sets would have been given to one of the 'Eavy metal' boys for a paint job so that they had something to use in all the promotional photographs whilst they were waiting for the lengthy plastics process to be completed.

... in much the same way as the there was an original set of prototype heroes that came before the ones that were made into the plastics we all know and love.

Some of the 'extra sets' would have made it into the hands of folks that worked in or around the studio at the time for .... personal projects.

Or something like that.

Hope that helps.

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 9:57 am
by Baylor_OgreBane
The original plastic heros and stuff can be seen on the box and in the 'eavy metal promo page of white dwarf, that why there are slight variations, like the barbarians sword being closer to the body and at a different angle.

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=25&image_id=1190

I always wondered about them, and now I know!

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 11:55 am
by Goblin-King
I have two comments to those sculpts:

1.)
Image

2.)
Nice!

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 9:18 pm
by Elf Blade
A spectacular find! Even if I will never hold such rare treasures it is a pleasure to at least see them. I know your reputation from Warseer so I know that these are legit.

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 1:08 am
by wolfie907
was wondering what a set might cost a guy

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 1:02 pm
by Harry
@Goblin King
That made me smile

@Elf blade
I had hoped just that .... that folks would just like to see them.

@wolfie907
I have no idea ... but I am looking into the possibility of reproducing them ... not as a money making scheme but so that serious HQ fans can get a set.

Re: The original prototypes for the HeroQuest furniture

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 1:10 pm
by Thantos
Harry wrote:@Goblin King
@wolfie907
I have no idea ... but I am looking into the possibility of reproducing them ... not as a money making scheme but so that serious HQ fans can get a set.


We should talk ;)
Will be casting metal as well as the resin in a short while. Although, for the lack of practicality of cardboard+metal. Lighter resin may be a good bet.

Who sculpted these? Bob Naismith? Gary Morley?