• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Why buy the tool kit?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Why buy the tool kit?

Postby lucasdp » November 25th, 2015, 11:55 am

When I'm Zargon, there's reason to hurry. ;) I employ a simplified version of Gold Bearer's events (viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3031) so even if there are no monsters around the pit to gang up on the hero, they wouldn't want to dilly dally for two wasted turns.
Also, the previously mentioned barbarian-in-a-pit ended up in that situation because she went off on her own looking for treasure. If this rule had been in play at that time, I really don't think the other heroes would have just sat and waited for her.
You do bring up a good point, though. I'll let you know it works after a get a chance to playtest it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lucasdp » December 1st, 2015, 12:43 pm

Well, I have now played two quests applying the "Monopoly jail rule" to pit traps and here's what I observed:
The possibility of losing two turns definitely made my heroes hate and fear the pit traps. Especially poor Miranda the Elf, who sprung three of the four pit traps in Melar's Maze.
While the other heroes didn't just wait for the hero in the pit to get out, as Cornixt predicted, they were sometimes careful not to stray too far ahead. In most cases, my heroes were unable to roll doubles, so they did lose both turns.
Cornixt, you were right that this house rule may slow down the game a tiny bit, but I still want my traps to be more effective and feared, and this accomplishes that. I'm keeping this rule for now, but, who knows?, I may throw it out in the future.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » December 2nd, 2015, 5:04 am

Monopoly jail rule... Yes... Stolen.

We could also add a rope to the treasure deck and equipment cards/armoury, or perhaps the tool kit comes with rope.

As I have bonus actions (sacrifice 1 rolled movement die), one of which is climb, I might not remove pit traps when disarmed. If disarmed, flip the token, to pass you'll need to climb. A Dwarf can disarm a pit trap while a character is init, they wouldn't need to roll doubles to escape, they simply climb out at -1 movement die.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » December 2nd, 2015, 5:24 am

The question I have... when the dwarf removes the pit trap, is this considered an action, if he moves to the trap, removes it, does that end his movement?

Obviously if playing 1st edition no but what about 2nd?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » December 2nd, 2015, 7:48 am

mitchiemasha wrote:The question I have... when the dwarf removes the pit trap, is this considered an action, if he moves to the trap, removes it, does that end his movement?

Obviously if playing 1st edition no but what about 2nd?

That's the way I've always understood it. Disarming a trap is an action so would not allow another's movement. However house rules allow for a hero to take any treasure from a chest after disarming even though searching for treasure is a desperate is a separate action.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » December 2nd, 2015, 1:04 pm

I have always played that disarming a trap is an action.
{When I take it into house rules and high level challenges, very complicated traps may require multiple rounds to disarm, or a dwarf with a tool belt, or an adjacent additional hero who is assisting the disarming of the trap. For even harder traps all three elements may be required.}
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » April 8th, 2016, 12:07 pm

lucasdp wrote:Well, I have now played two quests applying the "Monopoly jail rule" to pit traps and here's what I observed:
The possibility of losing two turns definitely made my heroes hate and fear the pit traps. Especially poor Miranda the Elf, who sprung three of the four pit traps in Melar's Maze.
While the other heroes didn't just wait for the hero in the pit to get out, as Cornixt predicted, they were sometimes careful not to stray too far ahead. In most cases, my heroes were unable to roll doubles, so they did lose both turns.
Cornixt, you were right that this house rule may slow down the game a tiny bit, but I still want my traps to be more effective and feared, and this accomplishes that. I'm keeping this rule for now, but, who knows?, I may throw it out in the future.

Just popping in to add that I am still using this rule, but I have adjusted it so that the Heroes can only lose one turn. Losing two turns was too much.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 25th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Another reason for buying a tool kit: Have a trap mechanism located just high enough up so as to be out of reach of the vertically challenged Dwarf. Only other Heroes could disarm this trap, which could be a spear trap, falling block trap, or swinging axe trap. These snafus should be alternated and repeated with standard traps to encourage the purchase.

Schmidt wrote:maybe be able to search for traps when you stand in a door way (I always thought that rule is stupid)

I like this one. Pay for the privilege with a tool kit.

The problem is this only works when no monsters are visible to the searching Hero using NA rules. This might lead to Heroes holding back at the doorway and safely sniping with a crossbow until monsters came to them. Afterwards, the trap could later be safely discovered--boring.

With EU rules, it would be possible to search for the trap with monsters in a room because of a created loophole. The EU room restrictions wouldn't apply from the doorway: "...Characters may not search if they are next to a monster or if there is a monster in the same room or visible in a passage...." I like this better since a Hero has a choice of removing himself from the battle for a turn to insure an unlikely trap isn't present. Kinda gives a he Wizard an excuse to avoid combat while pushing the other Heroes back a square from first strikes.

cynthialee wrote:...Ideas that come to mind:
More advanced traps that require a Dwarf with a Kit.
Advanced traps that require 2 or more heroes with tools to disarm....

...Traps that require multiple turns to disarm. {Then mid work have a monster wander in and the heroes have to protect the Dwarf as he works with his tools to disarm the trap.}

I like the first two ideas as creative reasons necessitating the purchase of a tool kit. I like the third idea because it could implement the concept from Searching with monsters present--allowed!.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gomcse » January 27th, 2018, 3:22 am

I've had players die to traps. In some expansions, like Ogre Horde, the Tool Kit should be required. I try to instill a real fear of traps into the players. You could add more traps, or force players to fail automatically without a kit.
Gomcse

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MoJones304 » January 27th, 2018, 6:00 pm

I have to agree that I love the monopoly rule for pit traps. Stealing that. I also have added several new traps. Some affect all in the same room or corridor. Also a teleport trap that will transport one hero into a room full of monsters on their own. A quicksand pit trap that requires another hero to help them escape before they die. Rolling boulder traps. Rotating wall traps acting similar to teleport trap. And a water pit trap that requires them to remove any metal armor before they can escape. My players are terrified of this one.
MoJones304

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems