Page 1 of 1

Mind Points

PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 11:09 am
by keyansark
Hi all:

This is my first post in the forums... I've been a Heroquest player since a few years ago (I was more on Space Crusade and Space Hulk on those days, but I managed to get an english version from ebay) and I am curious on what is Mind used for. In the rulebook I find no references to using mind for anything, and I have seen no reference either on the many expansions I've seen in the Internet since them.

Thanks for the clues.

Re: Mind Points

PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 11:43 am
by drathe
Welcome to the forum!

For Mind Points, it often depends on which system you have. Mind Points are used more often (or just plain used, albeit infrequently) in the North American version. Heroes use their mind points for spell breaks when Zargon's minions use Chaos Spells. The same applies to Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord expansions. Although their are two enemies (one in each) that actually attack the mind of a Hero, Mind Points in these expansions are mainly (and still rarely) used to break Chaos Spells (again, North American version only, as Chaos Spells don't exist in the European edition).

Mind Points are used a little bit more in Against the Ogre Horde as the Chaos Spell Tokens included usually pit the mind of a Hero against the Mind of the Villain to see what the final result of the spell's damage will be. Kind of like using Mind Points as your Attack and Defend in these scenarios.

It isn't until the Elf and Barbarian Packs that Mind Points really begin to play a larger roll. There are many new Chaos Spells in those packs that the Heroes must break and defend against.

There are several fan quests that delve more deeper into the use of Mind Points. Mainly because many fans feel they should be used more than they are in early Questing in the official expansions.

In the Game System and first two expansions, when a Hero reached zero Mind Points, they were dead. Later in the Elf and Barbarian expansions, this rule was adjusted. Now the Heroes aren't dead, but in 'shock'. They may only move with one Red Die, attacks with one Combat Die and defends with two Combat Die. Artifacts, Armour and Weapons have no affect on these attributes, however, some spells and potions may still increase these stats temporarily.

Re: Mind Points

PostPosted: July 27th, 2009, 1:07 am
by Phoenix
Yep! What he said. :geek:

Re: Mind Points

PostPosted: July 27th, 2009, 3:10 am
by keyansark
Thanks a lot for the reply. I imagined Mind Points used in a similar way as they did in Talisman, so I wasn't too wrong.

by the way, if you are the same "Phoenix" as the one who did "Return of the Witch Queen", then, sir, I must bow before you as you did an impressive work there!

Re: Mind Points

PostPosted: July 27th, 2009, 6:02 am
by Phoenix
I am, indeed. :oops:

Re: Mind Points

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 4:31 pm
by Maike05
Hi, In the french version, we use it to cast spells. -1 per spell casted. It's strange you don't use it that way too !