Page 1 of 1

Question about artifacts

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 1:02 am
by salan
Ok, so I use to play this game when I was a kid. I'm 32 years old now, and have my own kids. My daughter and step daughter are both 9 years old and are both showing interest in learning to play, after finally mastering risk. So its breaking ou teh old game, purchasing a few new pieces off of ebay, and rubbing off on the old rules.

One thing I can't for the life of me find is the artifacts. Are artifact cards included in the 'search for treasure' option of heroquest or only given out through specific quest search rewards? I am not so sure on this, as spell scrolls seem to be more of a re-findable resource compared to the actual artifacts themselves.

Figured I'd ask you guys, I've been scouring your website over the last week and a half re-building some of my lost tiles and cards, and I love the site.

Thanks.
Sal.

Re: Question about artifacts

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 7:26 am
by drathe
Welcome to Ye Olde Inn!

The main Artifacts (other than Spell Scrolls) are listed as treasure in specific Quests. The first Artifact, the Talisman of Lore, is discovered in Malar's Maze. Note that Artifacts are from the North American version, in which there are 10 available in the Game System. The European version does not have Artifacts. They do have 5 of them available as Quest Treasures in their Game System. These were expanded and called Artifacts when the game was brought across the pond.

Re: Question about artifacts

PostPosted: June 6th, 2009, 12:48 am
by salan
The funny thing about the spellscrolls, if they players can see the treasure pile then they will know that there is no threat to them when an artifact card sits on top of the pile... meh.

Thank you for clarifying the other items though.

Re: Question about artifacts

PostPosted: June 6th, 2009, 4:01 am
by Phoenix
The Treasure Deck and the Artifacts are two separate entities. The Artifacts are special Quest treasures that will be listed in the Quest Notes, while the Treasure Deck is used when the Heroes search for treasure and there is nothing listed in the Quest Notes as a special treasure for the room searched.

Re: Question about artifacts

PostPosted: June 6th, 2009, 10:42 am
by drathe
Also, don't forget that each time a card is drawn from the treasure deck, the deck must be shuffled. All good treasure found is set aside until the next quest, while all bad treasure cards (hazards & wandering monsters) are placed back into the deck for the next draw, making it slightly more dangerous to search each time something good is found.