• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Difficulty

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Difficulty

Postby drathe » January 17th, 2013, 12:11 am

Goblin-King wrote:
Infje wrote:This is really a very friendly and helpfull community. Lots of love here. I really respect how everyone is pitching in and sharing ideas. Thank you guys!
I'm going to try and find the us cards on Ebay or perhaps an entire game system. I know I can print them. But I always prefer the real thing :)

I hear ya mon. This is definitely one of the best online communities I've ever encountered! No drama-queens or anything. Just friendliness and games |_P

It's comments like these that make inn-keeping the Ye Olde Inn Website worthwhile. :D Thanks to everyone here for making our community a fun and friendly place to visit. |_P

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Infje » January 22nd, 2013, 11:05 am

I don't want to spam the forum with a seperate topic so, if you don't mind, I'm going to continue here:

The US rules state: “You may only attack with one weapon at a time. The number of dice to roll depends on the weapon you are using”. Let’s say I’m the barbarian and I’ve bought the shortsword. This allows me the use of 2 combat dice. I start out with 3. Does this mean, when using the shortsword, I can throw one combat die less? If so, the only effective weapon for me to buy as an barbarian would be the the longsword or the battle axe. Is this correct? Also, I can carry multiple weapons and switch between them?

When do I get to use the Chaos spells? It isn’t mentioned (during Quests) in the Game System, or KK/ROTW.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Infje

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 22nd, 2013, 12:37 pm

Infje wrote:Let’s say I’m the barbarian and I’ve bought the shortsword. This allows me the use of 2 combat dice. I start out with 3. Does this mean, when using the shortsword, I can throw one combat die less? If so, the only effective weapon for me to buy as an barbarian would be the the longsword or the battle axe. Is this correct? Also, I can carry multiple weapons and switch between them?

Yes. the 3 attack dice are because the barbarian starts out with the broadsword if I recall correctly. So buying a "lesser" weapon makes no sense. You can carry multiple weapons, but switching can only happen in your turn, and you must wait untill your next turn to switch again. So during morcar's turn, you are stuck with your last chosen weapon for defense (if you switched from sword + shield to the halberd for example, you don't have the shield equipped, and so you can defend with 1 die less during morcar's turn)
Some people even have the houserule that switching weapons counts as an action, and so you can't attack for that turn. That way people switch a lot less.

Infje wrote:When do I get to use the Chaos spells? It isn’t mentioned (during Quests) in the Game System, or KK/ROTW.

Chaos spells are used by chaos wizards, as described in the US quest notes. The EU quest notes don't have chaos spells, because the EU version doen't have any chaos spell cards at all. I made some EU style chaos cards if you want to use them in your games, but have the EU game version. You only need to download and print the US quest notes.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 22nd, 2013, 1:12 pm

Infje wrote:The US rules state: “You may only attack with one weapon at a time. The number of dice to roll depends on the weapon you are using”. Let’s say I’m the barbarian and I’ve bought the shortsword. This allows me the use of 2 combat dice. I start out with 3. Does this mean, when using the shortsword, I can throw one combat die less? If so, the only effective weapon for me to buy as an barbarian would be the the longsword or the battle axe. Is this correct?
In the EU version the heroes different starting attack dice aren't ever explained. For years I assumed it was their basic strength. In the US version however they start out equipped with different weapons - leading to the discussion about unarmed combat. But yes! The weaker weapons are utterly useless to the barbarian. But you want the battleaxe for maximum power anyway ;)

Infje wrote:Also, I can carry multiple weapons and switch between them?
This is never really explained in the rules. Everybody house rules for weapon switching. Some have free for all, some counts it as an action and some (me) only allows switching between quests. Do what ever you find most fair.

Infje wrote:When do I get to use the Chaos spells? It isn’t mentioned (during Quests) in the Game System, or KK/ROTW.
As stated by Sjeng this is US only. Sadly...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » January 22nd, 2013, 2:51 pm

Goblin-King wrote:This is never really explained in the rules. Everybody house rules for weapon switching. Some have free for all, some counts it as an action and some (me) only allows switching between quests. Do what ever you find most fair.

Though not addressed directly, the ability to carry more than one weapon is referenced in the US rules. In the game system rulebook, it states that a hero can only attack with one weapon at a time, indicating that they can carry more than one. In the Barbarian Quest Pack, the Crossbowman mercenary uses a broadsword when attacking an adjacent foe and there is no penatly (i.e. useing an action) for making the switch from his crossbow. The implies that heroes can carry more than one weapon and switch without penatly. This is how I play, although adopting a house rule in which the heroes must spend an action or part of their movement to switch makes perfect sense and is something I have considered.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Infje » January 22nd, 2013, 4:43 pm

This is a quick reply to elaborate. I'll respond in more detail later. I've bought an US set and I'm learning the rules now. The instructions mention Chaos Spells but it also says they won't be used in the game system but will be needed in the expansions. I've glanced through the US quest notes for KK and ROTW but I didn't see a reference. Hence the question of when I get to use them.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Infje

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » January 22nd, 2013, 8:34 pm

Infje wrote:This is a quick reply to elaborate. I'll respond in more detail later. I've bought an US set and I'm learning the rules now. The instructions mention Chaos Spells but it also says they won't be used in the game system but will be needed in the expansions. I've glanced through the US quest notes for KK and ROTW but I didn't see a reference. Hence the question of when I get to use them.

The US rules actually say that "some Chaos Spell Cards will only be used with the Quest Packs".

There are three Chaos spell casters found in the fourteen US game system quests: Grak (quest 6), Balur the Fire Mage (quest 8) and The Witch Lord (quests 12 & 14). Between the three of them, they possess every Chaos Spell except for three: Cloud of Chaos, Lightning Bolt and Rust.

In Kellar's Keep, there are two evil spell casters: an unnamed Fimir who knows the Rust spell (quest 4) and Gragor the Evil Magician (quest 6) who can cast four Chaos spells including Lightning Bolt.

This leaves only the Cloud of Chaos spell which you will encounter when you have the pleasure of meeting Kassandria the Witch Queen in Return of the Witch Lord (quest 9).

The Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs also include evil spell casters who use Chaos spells from the game system, along with new Chaos spells that are included in the expansions.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Infje » January 23rd, 2013, 12:55 pm

Again, thank you all for your responses. I'm glad I get to use them in the first campaign. Apparently, I need to look better.
I also decided to go with this rule: You can carry more than one weapon and switch without penalty.

We'll see how it works out. Can't wait to play the first US game. Lots of changes for us Dutch guys!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Infje

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » January 23rd, 2013, 1:24 pm

Infje wrote:I also decided to go with this rule: You can carry more than one weapon and switch without penalty.

If you find that this rule doesn't work for you, it's easy enough to change it to where the heroes must expend an action to switch weapon. This may make them think more strategically before entering a new room, but it can also mean that a hero with a crossbow has to wait an addtional turn to attack if ambushed by a wandering monster and cannot move least one space away.

In my most recent HeroQuest session, the Barbarian had a crossbow and a dagger. Sometimes he could not "disengage" from an attacking monster and had to attck with one combat die :skull: instead of three :skull: :skull: :skull: . When he was surrounded, it did not seem fair to make him spend an action switching from the ranged weapon to the melee one.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Infje » January 23rd, 2013, 1:44 pm

I totally agree. I think it's going to work out great. I'll post my findings here.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Infje

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems