Several people have suggested various timers / countdowns, e.g. by using special decks of cards. All good ideas.
However, as I play the EU version, I like to keep things as simple as possible. I usually try to come up with solutions that could have been in the official rules, using only cards and models provided in the game itself.
Here's my current idea for improving 'Race Against Time' (EU edition). Insert the following text in the conveniently large empty space below the Quest Notes:
'At the start of the evil wizard player's turn, he or she draws 1 Treasure card. If it is a wandering monster, place the model beside any character and shuffle the card into the Treasure pile. The monster can then move and attack as normal. If the card is not a wandering monster, discard it.
The character players must escape quickly or they will eventually be overrun by monsters! Remember that if not enough models are available, the evil wizard player can substitute another model of the same colour. In this case, if no Fimir models are available, an Orc or Goblin can be placed on the board instead.
If a player searches for treasure, follow the usual rules.'
(A bit pedantic, but again, I'm trying to imagine how it would have been written in the original release.)
The idea here is that if the players take too long to escape, the Treasure deck will eventually shrink to just a tiny pile of 5 Wandering Monster cards that the Morcar player keeps recycling, so they'll be attacked every single turn until they leave. Also, anyone who stops to search for treasure is causing the deck to shrink faster...
Edit: I'm picturing it playing out like a sword and sorcery version of the Aliens movie. "They're coming out of the Sigmar-damned walls!" "Heroes, we are LEAVING!"
The base deck of 25 (?) cards seems about right in terms of giving the players enough time, but I'm just guessing as I haven't playtested this yet.
Will this work, or have I overlooked something?






























