• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Revised Rulebook - CLOSED

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Revised Rulebook

Postby Davane » July 28th, 2021, 12:03 am

May I humbly suggest that you take a look over my HQ CERB, and see if there's any cross-over between these two projects? I would greatly appreciate some thorough feedback, and it might make things easier if we are both doing the same thing.

My hope with the HQ CERB is to unify the UK(EU) and US(NA) Rules, complete with components, so that groups can choose a mixture of core and "house" rules in order to specifically recreate any version of HQ to date.
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » August 29th, 2022, 1:11 pm

Davane, I've reviewed your HQ CERB and I like the clear look and feel, but I think that we are doing two subtly different things.

Your rules merge the UK and US versions where they are the same and state the two different versions, side by side, where they differ, but I am attempting to produce a single version of the rules considering the best of both versions (unless that too is your ultimate end-point).

Originally, I was theming this as UK/EU version 3, but the rules more closely resembled the US version than the UK/EU version, so it is now more like US version 2.

Essentially, I have taken the US rulebook and card text (and the rules and card text from some of the expansions) rolled it into a single document, then re-arranged it into a book, chapter, and verse layout to make it easier to use as a reference material, in that you can quote book, chapter and verse numbers to refer to a specific rule.

I have then looked at each problem that I have found with the rules during play and/or through this forum and where the problem is one of lack of clarity in the rules leading to different groups playing with different interpretations then I have used this forum to discuss the issue and try and find a balanced solution that works (in actual gameplay as well as logically, without any unintended consequences)

Aside from lack of clarity in the rules another common issue is a lack of consistency, both within the rule book and between the rule book and expansions, so I have tried to make that consistent too.

Little in my version is new, although the search action has been rewritten completely, it is more just working through each problem and extensively play-testing a number of different solutions and then documenting which one works!
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » September 8th, 2022, 5:36 am

Daedalus, my revision of the searching and trap rules means that you get a chance to 'detect & disarm' a trap at the point at when you step on that square during movement or are placed there during a search only, if successful the trap is disarmed / made safe and ceases to exist, if you are not successful then the trap springs and for falling block the 'rubble' is placed.

This means that the situation that you raised never occurs as there is no mechanism for removing something placed as a result of a trap being sprung, no mechanism to remove a 'rubble' counter or a pit counter once it has been placed, the 'detection and disarm' roll only applies when you are stood on a square that contain a unsprung trap.

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » December 6th, 2022, 10:54 am

This topic has now been closed as the project has been superseded by Polishing the Second Edition

The problems around searching for and disarming traps mentioned above are covered under Problem #20: Searching for and disarming traps on the above topic.

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Official Rules