Page 1 of 2

Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: May 14th, 2020, 5:51 pm
by mesodom
Which rules/quest book you recomend european rules or north american rules?

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: May 14th, 2020, 7:17 pm
by Stig
I think NA are more popular, certainly giving monsters more BP. Most of us play with house rules too

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: May 16th, 2020, 8:25 am
by lestodante
I suggest to read both of them. But I prefer US version more. For traps and searching I prefer the Eur version.

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: May 25th, 2020, 9:33 am
by wallydubbs
I think most people on here go with NA body points, everything else is a matter of preference, if you'd rather use NA or EU weapons or even Sjeng's inventory weapons.
Various house rules can be made as well. You can give the Dwarf a perk by allowing Trap and Secret door searches to count as 1 action for him alone. That way you get a little bit of both worlds.
Something else I've noticed mostly everyone on here does, even though it contradicts the rules: treasure searching is limited to once per room, not just once for every hero per room (as the rules say), it's easier to keep track of and limits the potions and rewards a hero gains per quest. That way they don't get too strong too fast.

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: November 26th, 2021, 3:58 am
by Credulous
lestodante wrote:I suggest to read both of them. But I prefer US version more. For traps and searching I prefer the Eur version.


Not just me then who thinks having to search every room 3 times instead of 2 to clear is not ‘better’?

I think it’s a shame Hasbro have rolled out the NA rules pretty much verbatim for the new version rather than picking up the best of both systems, nor clarified weirdness like searching for secret doors in a pit trap.

For clarity - still a great re-release though.

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: November 26th, 2021, 5:06 am
by Anderas
Credulous wrote:
lestodante wrote:I suggest to read both of them. But I prefer US version more. For traps and searching I prefer the Eur version.


Not just me then who thinks having to search every room 3 times instead of 2 to clear is not ‘better’?

I think it’s a shame Hasbro have rolled out the NA rules pretty much verbatim for the new version rather than picking up the best of both systems, nor clarified weirdness like searching for secret doors in a pit trap.

For clarity - still a great re-release though.


I guess if they had changed things, the fan rage would be overwhelming
But yes, EU for searching and moving (not touching a square twice in a turn - looks strange as rule, but works great in gaming reality); NA for treasure search (Searching pit traps, golden!), also NA for Body Points...

and then some relaxing movement rules (You can buy Boots that give a minimum movement of 4; if no monster is visible you can beam over to any explored location to save time, those kinds of things)

Then some Wizard buff (in the original he does not really participate every turn, so he gets some sugar so he can participate until the end without saving all the spells)

Then the evil wizard cards and the temple deck just because everyone who tried them agrees they are fun

and... well... it's not the original but I like it

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2021, 6:58 pm
by Credulous
Yes I think I will mix and match the best of both worlds as you are doing.

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2021, 7:12 pm
by Kurgan
Homebrew megamix!

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 10:28 am
by The Admiral
mesodom wrote:Which rules/quest book you recomend european rules or north american rules?


I use a mishmash plus my own house rules, but if i had to play with one, and I have played extensively with both, it would be NA. Same with the questbook. The early quests are really too easy, so the tougher the quests the better, and the NA questbook has more monsters + BP's. I know The Trial is very difficult with new Heroes and no spells, but that is a separate argument. I would play The Trial last as a final right of passage.

Re: Best rules and quest book?

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 10:58 am
by Kurgan
Conversions exist for the exclusive packs, but there may be glitches when converting from one to another, hence another great thing about the forums smoothing over those issues.