• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Revealing monsters in a line in a corridor

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Revealing monsters in a line in a corridor

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 10th, 2019, 8:22 pm

My understanding is that the board is revealed by line of sight in a corridor, but a room is completely revealed.

As such, even with a line of monsters in a corridor, only the first is placed on the board, and things beyond aren't revealed, including blocked walls and doors.

The problem if there are multiple monsters, Zargon is disadvantaged because he cannot attack, move, and have the subsequent monster move up and attack because the monsters behind haven't been revealed yet due to being out of line of sight.

So for example, in Kellar's Keep Quest 2, the heroes chose to run away from revealing the fimir in the corners of the center of the board after the first two were revealed by running away, figuring out the symmetry of the game thus far. Similarly, me moving one of the fimir into the connecting corridor revealed the fimir behind the first, letting Zargon put another fimir on the board during his turn and then move it immediately.

It felt odd. I'm not sure if I have been playing this correctly or if you're just supposed to reveal all monsters in a corridor the player is in regardless of line of sight... Which would allow Zargon more attacks. I'm pretty sure the game once you just to reveal it by line of sight in corridors, which leads to odd scenarios like this. If there are spaces behind the other monsters, I guess moving the first one backwards would then reveal the others on Zargon's turn...
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Revealing monsters in a line in a corridor

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 10th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Rereading the instructions, it seems like I did play this correctly. It just seems odd to not be able to put monsters on the board because Heroes manipulate their line of sight.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » November 11th, 2019, 4:42 am

I always reveal all the monsters in a corridor.

It’s entirely possible that I’m playing it wrong (it wouldn’t be the first time ;) ), so I hope others chip in with answers for this.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » November 11th, 2019, 6:22 am

I also reveal all monsters in a corridor, when the Heroes can look into said corridor. It makes no sense that a measily Goblin could fully block sight on the bulky Chaos Warrior behind him. Besides, monster aren't statues: they move about, are active and shift position, even within the same tile they're standing on. To me, that means that no monster can hide behind another, as you will always be able to catch glimpses of them, no matter how many there are in front of them.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 11th, 2019, 11:17 am

Pancho wrote:I always reveal all the monsters in a corridor.

It’s entirely possible that I’m playing it wrong (it wouldn’t be the first time ;) ), so I hope others chip in with answers for this.

Yep, that's what I do. As soon as a Hero moves into a new corridor I place everything except traps and secret doors. Otherwise some strange situations could arise. The front monster moves down the corridor, but what do the others do? Not move? why would they do that just because they can't be seen? This means you now have to record in some way the movement of the 'unseen' monsters. This gets messy quickly.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 11th, 2019, 4:39 pm

yes, reveal all!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » November 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

I use line of sight only for spells and ranged attacks.
I don't use it on exploration. It complicates the game. :smack:
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 11th, 2019, 7:24 pm

What do y'all make of page 13 then of the NA rulebook? "How Zargon Reacts to Hero Movement: as Zargon, You must carefully watch a hero's movement. Continually refer to the quest map and the quest book. When a hero "looks" down a corridor, place on the game board any closed doors, block square tiles, and monsters that are directly within the heroes line of sight. (See page 15 "SEE" for clear line of sight.)
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » November 12th, 2019, 3:04 am

Sotiris wrote:I use line of sight only for spells and ranged attacks.
I don't use it on exploration. It complicates the game. :smack:

This.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 12th, 2019, 7:57 am

What Pancho said.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules