• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Is Witch Lord considered undead versus the spirit blade?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Is Witch Lord considered undead versus the spirit blade?

Postby The Admiral » September 7th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Kurgan wrote:
lestodante wrote:anyone who once was dead and is still moving for me is to be considered an undead.
He has mind points because he is a special undead, a better one.

Heroes revived by the Elixir of Life would be a clear exception to this... (or the resurrections of heroes in the Japanese edition of the Game System, whether by Temples or the Talisman). To further complicate it, Heroes can have their mind points reduced to zero and go into "shock" in some official quests (rather than dying as they do in others).

A Hero revived by an elixir of life was dead before, and then is alive after use. They do not move around in an undead state. They move around because they are alive again.

Undead have 0 MP because they have no mind. Being in shock is a clearly explained rule in which a living Hero temporarily has no MP. Heroes who die when reduced to 0 MP are just that, dead. In neither state are they considered undead.

I see no confusion in any of this.

The Japanese version is a little crazy in my opinion, and is very different to the version we play.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » September 7th, 2019, 4:29 pm

The Admiral wrote:A Hero revived by an elixir of life was dead before, and then is alive after use. They do not move around in an undead state.

That gives me an idea... :twisted:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 7th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Kurgan wrote:
The Admiral wrote:A Hero revived by an elixir of life was dead before, and then is alive after use. They do not move around in an undead state.

Raise the dead spell?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 7th, 2019, 7:35 pm

The Admiral wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Raise the dead spell?

You can bring your friends back, but they become the creeping undead! Shadows of their former selves... with the possibility of being switched more easily in loyalty to Chaos. Maybe if they get a low die roll, they wander off or have some other unintended effect other than the one they intended. If the Hero who revived them dies, they go completely rogue and will attack anything that comes near them. They become unable to sleep, sensitive to sunlight and holy objects. Slowly but surely the call of darkness is drawing them away. Perhaps what is needed is a special rare potion to set them right, before its too late and they turn on their former friends! Sometimes dead IS better...
Last edited by Kurgan on September 7th, 2019, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » September 7th, 2019, 9:19 pm

The Admiral wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
lestodante wrote:anyone who once was dead and is still moving for me is to be considered an undead.

Heroes revived by the Elixir of Life would be a clear exception to this... (or the resurrections of heroes in the Japanese edition of the Game System, whether by Temples or the Talisman). To further complicate it, Heroes can have their mind points reduced to zero and go into "shock" in some official quests (rather than dying as they do in others).

A Hero revived by an elixir of life was dead before, and then is alive after use. They do not move around in an undead state. They move around because they are alive again.

Undead have 0 MP because they have no mind. Being in shock is a clearly explained rule in which a living Hero temporarily has no MP. Heroes who die when reduced to 0 MP are just that, dead. In neither state are they considered undead.

No, but you sorta contradicted yourself with the underlined statement; the Witch Lord doesn't act like an undead either.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 7th, 2019, 11:42 pm

Exactly! He's something else... so he's undead technically, but a different class, perhaps a Lich, as someone else in another thread once suggested, sorry I forget who you were. For HQ purposes, he's a different type of monster entirely. I ran into a similar problem with my new Vampire character (he's not "undead" for purposes of not making him instantly destructible with holy water, though that would be hilarious).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » September 8th, 2019, 2:39 am

wallydubbs wrote:
The Admiral wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

No, but you sorta contradicted yourself with the underlined statement; the Witch Lord doesn't act like an undead either.

If I had been discussing the WL, maybe, but I was discussing the points raised by Kurgan on how he perceived possible confusion between the undead and the alive. As previously discussed, the Witch Lord, as a mega boss, doesn't fit as neatly into the undead category . Hence this whole thread.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » September 8th, 2019, 4:31 am

I’m laughing that this thread is still going and showing no sign of reaching a consensus. I’m beginning to see why a game of Heroquest can last Hours and hours for some players :lol:

Please carry on, very entertaining.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Stig » September 8th, 2019, 4:49 am

Pancho wrote:Please carry on, very entertaining.

Happy to oblige |_P

I think the question of the Witch Lord's dead/alive status might be a red herring, as in the Warhammer World, the "Undead" included Vampires and Ghouls, neither of which ever died, but demonstrated necrotic proclivities, ie drinking blood / hating the light / eating flesh etc.

Going by the imagery alone, skulls, tombs, reawakening etc all put together suggests "Undead" imagery and GW would most likely have had the Witch Lord as part of the Undead army as opposed to any other.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 8th, 2019, 7:09 am

Kurgan wrote:an bring your friends back, but they become the creeping undead! Shadows of their former selves... with the possibility of being switched more easily in loyalty to Chaos. Maybe if they get a low die roll, they wander off or have some other unintended effect other than the one they intended. If the Hero who revived them dies, they go completely rogue and will attack anything that comes near them. They become unable to sleep, sensitive to sunlight and holy objects. Slowly but surely the call of darkness is drawing them away. Perhaps what is needed is a special rare potion to set them right, before its too late and they turn on their former friends! Sometimes dead IS better...

I like those sort of quirky things introduced into quests occasionally. A while back a group of our Heroes teamed up with a Chaos Warrior to fight a common enemy. He stayed with them afterwards with an ever increasing random chance, unknown to the Heroes, that he would turn on them, as he did eventually.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules