• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Limit to number of items in same "slot"?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Limit to number of items in same "slot"?

Postby The Admiral » July 31st, 2019, 4:53 am

hightechartist wrote:What are the longbow and shortbow from?

My own addition.
The longbow is 3 combat dice and 350gc.
The Shortbow is 2 combat dice and 250gc.
The crossbow now removes 1 defence die from the target.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » July 31st, 2019, 4:55 am

wallydubbs wrote:Logistically no hero's going to wear 2 pairs of boots at the same time. With Rabbit Boots, Elven Boots and Snowshoes of Speed the heroes can only wear 1 pair at a time. No rabbit book on the left foot and Elven boot on the right either. The Elven Boots and Snowshoes of Speed actually compliment a hero wearing Plate Mail.

Yes. I should have included that. Only 1 pair of boots may be worn. Others may be carried, but it takes an action to change.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 31st, 2019, 8:48 am

The Admiral wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Logistically no hero's going to wear 2 pairs of boots at the same time. With Rabbit Boots, Elven Boots and Snowshoes of Speed the heroes can only wear 1 pair at a time. No rabbit book on the left foot and Elven boot on the right either. The Elven Boots and Snowshoes of Speed actually compliment a hero wearing Plate Mail.

Yes. I should have included that. Only 1 pair of boots may be worn. Others may be carried, but it takes an action to change.

Depends on the number of feet your model has. If you play the Centaur... :mrgreen: |_P

Ok I am being silly here. :goblin:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » July 31st, 2019, 10:29 am

Anderas wrote:Depends on the number of feet your model has. If you play the Centaur... :mrgreen: |_P

Ok I am being silly here. :goblin:

Centaurs don't have feet, they have hooves.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 31st, 2019, 11:54 am

So you would not allow him the snowshoes in the front and rabbit boots in the back? :lol:

No, but you got it right. The Centaur has no feet, he has hooves, so no shoes for him.

However, I stay on the position that this shouldn't be ruled before one of them seriously tries to stack helmets or shoes or wants to carry 10 hand weapons. For wearing several amuletts... someone else was finding that hack already. :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » August 1st, 2019, 11:34 am

Anderas wrote:So you would not allow him the snowshoes in the front and rabbit boots in the back? :lol:

Hmm..snowshoes. I see these as being attached to your footwear so in my opinion boots and snowshoes could be worn simultaneously.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 6th, 2021, 3:33 am

hightechartist wrote:So, I've been trying my best not to impose my knowledge of other games rules on HQ rules, and I noticed that I don't see any rules about item "slots". For example, by the rules, is there a limit to the number of magic rings you can wear, or how many talismans can be around your neck? Can you put on Plate Mail over that Chain Mail?
If I was GM I'd just say "no" regardless of rules as written because I know how that'd screw the balance of the game, but I was curious if there was an official rule on this that I missed?

The NA game restricts wearing Plate Mail over Chain Mail through omission:
the Armory wrote:Chain Mail
. . . May be combined with the Helmet and/or Shield.. . . .

Plate Mail
. . . May be combined with the Helmet and/or Shield.. . . .

The EU game also restrict wearing Plate Mail over Chain Mail through inference:
equipment cards wrote:Chain Mail
Chain mail armour allows you to roll three combat dice in defence.. . .

Plate armour
Plate armour allows you to roll four combat dice in defence, . . .

The Helmet
The helmet gives you one extra combat die in defence.

The shield
The shield gives you one extra combat die in defence.

A character player EITHER rolls three or four combat dice in defence. Only the helmet and shield give one extra combat die.

Though both the EU and NA games neglect to further define limits for the wearing of items, it could be inferred from these examples that only one item may be worn on a body location to have an effect.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » August 6th, 2021, 10:35 am

I think the original game makers invoked logic, they didn't specify that you can't wear 5 helmets because they didn't think they needed to!
They specified chainmail and plate mail because it has been done in medieval times, but they tried to keep the game balanced.
When it comes to certain "slots" there may be a few grey areas that Zargon/Morcar will have the final say on: such as how many rings a hero can wear...But I'd limit them to 10 (not that there are even that many in the game); boots, obviously 1 pair per person; bracers? Sirry Wizard, if you're wearing the Bracers from the European armory, no armband of healing. The same would apply to the Magical Elven Bracers. However the Armband of Healing can be coupled with the Armband of Ice because there's only one of each and last i checked all the heroes had 2 arms. Medallions is up to Zargon. Me, personally I'd limit it to 1 because I'm uncomfortable with the Barbarian exceeding 3 Mind Points.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 6th, 2021, 11:02 am

We bought multiple helmets at first, arguing the blacksmith will hammer them into armor. Of course nobody was around to tell those kids that the blacksmith needs to be paid for his work, so it all comes out the same in the end.

Some of the "conflicts" are resolved because some items are limited to certain characters in the NA edition.

One suit of armor at a time.
One pair of boots at a time.

Two shields means double defense but can't use a weapon.

The ancient Staff and the Wizard's staff (or regular staff) can be duct tapped together...

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,
One Ring to rule them all, one Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie
-JRR Tolkien, LOTR

Sorry, got carried away...

The only thing is that I did allow the Cloak to be used by anyone, and why wouldn't it be able to be worn over the other types of armor? The cloak I'm using is a "heavy" garment that comes with its own leather coat underneath so its either that or the suit of armor (the Plate has its own chain mail covering the gaps and its own bracers which is why it's not combine-able). Borin's Armor lacks the helmet part (Borin's helmet is a separate artifact, if you can find it!). Heroes aren't making alterations to their gear on the fly in the dungeon (the Tape of Ducting being the only exception).

If you're "just carrying" and not wearing the Plate armor, I would say it still slows you down. At a certain point you could suggest that if the heroes have tons of gear that they start selling some of it or they'll begin to suffer movement penalty (say 1 or 2 squares of movement). A stricter "only 2 big weapons" rule might not be for everyone. This is a fantasy game but it's still a game. Players don't need to eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, never get tired or sick, etc. so why do their backpacks/belts have additional limitations? At a certain point you may want to have them hire Oswald the Overladen (he carries your stuff for cheap!).

You can carry bandoliers of daggers, arrows and bolts, potions, scrolls, all sorts of stuff, and I pity the fool who would limit the amulets I can carry...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 12th, 2022, 1:37 pm

We play the following, partly because if an individual Hero is building up large amounts of kit then they really need to learn to share (after all this is a team game not an individual one - apart from the Solo quest of course) but also because making people choose and swap between them to balance out the party is fun!

Carrying Capacity Limits

No limit for treasure – gold coins, jewels, gems etc – you can and will always find room somewhere for more of that. Also value is not related to size, if you are limited to 250 gold coins then who is to say you can't just buy a 250 gold coin gemstone in a settlement somewhere or get your gold smelted into jewellery

Carrying Item Limit

All items to be labelled with a size "Large", "Medium" or "Small" (for ease of use assume every item is "Small" unless otherwise stated)
• Large = Crossbow, Bow, Shield, Battle Axe, Spear, Staff
• Medium = Shortsword, Longsword, Hand Axe, Dagger, Broadsword

Characters have 10 available slots;
• 2 that can be used to carry items of any size
• 2 that can be used to carry small or medium size items
• 6 that can be used to carry only small items.

Worn Item Limit

Worn items must be worn and cannot be carried.

• Headgear = Helmet
• Body = Plate and Chainmail
• Amulet = Talisman of Lore
• Cloak = Cloak of Protection, Wizard’s Cloak
• Boots (pair of) = Rabbit Boots, Elven Boots, Snowshoes of Speed
• Bracelet = Bracers (pair), Armband of Healing, Armband of Ice, Magical Elven Bracers (pair)
• Ring = Ring of Warmth, Ring of Fire, Ring of Return, Ring of Brilliance, Spell Ring

You can wear one item of each the following types: Headgear, Body, Amulet, Cloak, Boots,

You can wear two items of the following types: Ring, Bracelet (although some come as a pair)
Last edited by Bareheaded Warrior on March 20th, 2023, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules