• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Potion of Magic Resistance questions

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Potion of Magic Resistance questions

Postby wallydubbs » December 14th, 2018, 10:58 am

So there are 3 types of Potions of Magic Resistance, which I'll reference here:
1.) From Wizards of Morcar/Zargon- You find a small bottle hidden beneath a rusty shield. You may drink this potion when a spell is cast on you and you may then ignore the effects of the spell.
2.) Also from WoM/WoZ- You discover a red glass bottle in a shallow pit. If you drink the potion, you will be completely unharmed by the next magical fire attack to hit you, be it a spell or a Fireburst trap.
3.) From Frozen Horror- The potion in this small, blue bottle negates the effects of any damage-causing spell cast on you. Drink it when the spell is cast and you may ignore the effects of the spell. This works only for the hero drinking the potion. The potion may be used only once.

The first of these seems to be most effective, as it not only negates damage spells but things like fear, madness and command. However I'm not sure if this negates a Fireburst trap... I wouldn't think so, as it's not actually being cast on the hero.

The 2nd one, which specifies only Fire, I assume was added for the sake of Fireburst traps. Reading over all the spells in Wizards of Morcar/Zargon, there are no fireballs or Fire Storm spells being cast, so aside from protecting from Fireburst this doesn't do anything... unless one considers lightning a form of fire (both are plasma).
However there is a Wall of Fire that can be cast by the High Mage. If a hero drinks this Potion of Magic Resistance, can he pass through the Wall of Fire? I'd allow it, so I'm just wondering how everyone else feels.
There's also a spell by the Necromancer that I'd like to draw attention to called Skulls of Doom, the wording of which is: "This spell allows the sorcerer to hurl a magical skull at any figure in their line of sight. The skull explodes like a fireball and attacks the hero with 2 combat dice, which the figure may defend against normally." Would the fire potion of Magic Resistance work with this spell?

The 3rd Potion of Magic Resistance from Frozen Horror seems to specify damage causing spells. Do you suppose this would also work on Fireburst traps or spells that target the mind (Mind Freeze)... it doesn't specify what kind of damage...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Potion of Magic Resistance questions

Postby lestodante » December 14th, 2018, 1:47 pm

exactly as you described!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 14th, 2018, 2:26 pm

wallydubbs wrote:The first of these seems to be most effective, as it not only negates damage spells but things like fear, madness and command. However I'm not sure if this negates a Fireburst trap... I wouldn't think so, as it's not actually being cast on the hero.

I'd rule no. You drink it when a spell is cast on you to negate it. The trap doesn't cast a spell on you, in a direct sense.

The 2nd one, which specifies only Fire, I assume was added for the sake of Fireburst traps. Reading over all the spells in Wizards of Morcar/Zargon, there are no fireballs or Fire Storm spells being cast, so aside from protecting from Fireburst this doesn't do anything... unless one considers lightning a form of fire (both are plasma).
However there is a Wall of Fire that can be cast by the High Mage. If a hero drinks this Potion of Magic Resistance, can he pass through the Wall of Fire? I'd allow it, so I'm just wondering how everyone else feels.

I would allow it. Magic Fire is Magic Fire, after all.

There's also a spell by the Necromancer that I'd like to draw attention to called Skulls of Doom, the wording of which is: "This spell allows the sorcerer to hurl a magical skull at any figure in their line of sight. The skull explodes like a fireball and attacks the hero with 2 combat dice, which the figure may defend against normally." Would the fire potion of Magic Resistance work with this spell?

I'm in doubt about this one. The image shows flames around the skull that's flying, but in all honesty I've always considered that the explosion would shatter the skull and send bone splinters all over the place. In that sense, the fiery explosion is just a vehicle to get the damage to the target, not the actual source of the damage.

The 3rd Potion of Magic Resistance from Frozen Horror seems to specify damage causing spells. Do you suppose this would also work on Fireburst traps or spells that target the mind (Mind Freeze)... it doesn't specify what kind of damage...

The potion's text says explicitely, ...negates the effects of any damage-causing spell cast on you.... FireBurst Traps don't cast a spell on the target, so I would rule they aren't affected by the potion. Spells that cause Mind damage would fall within the effects negated by the potion, I'd say.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » December 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Alright, well that makes sense. Whenever I get to Wizards of Zargon that's the way I'll do it.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » March 29th, 2019, 8:07 am

What about Rust? Potion of Magic Resistance (Effects), would that negate Rust? The spell technically isn't being cast on the hero so much as his armor or weapon?

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » March 29th, 2019, 9:08 am

wallydubbs wrote:What about Rust? Potion of Magic Resistance (Effects), would that negate Rust? The spell technically isn't being cast on the hero so much as his armor or weapon?

Maybe if the weapon or armour were tempered in the Potion of Magic Resistance? :P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby devarionarias » March 29th, 2019, 11:39 am

wallydubbs wrote:What about Rust? Potion of Magic Resistance (Effects), would that negate Rust? The spell technically isn't being cast on the hero so much as his armor or weapon?

For sake of simplicity, I'd personally rule the magic potion effects the imbiber as well as any equipment they are carrying at the time the attacker's spell is cast.
devarionarias

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby The Admiral » April 6th, 2019, 4:34 am

devarionarias wrote:

For sake of simplicity, I'd personally rule the magic potion effects the imbiber as well as any equipment they are carrying at the time the attacker's spell is cast.

Yep, I'd go with that as well.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 6th, 2019, 5:13 am

devarionarias wrote:For sake of simplicity, I'd personally rule the magic potion effects the imbiber as well as any equipment they are carrying at the time the attacker's spell is cast.

Yes, I agree too... the potion makes the hero to emanates some kind of protective area around him, as the pictures show. So the equipment is also safe.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 30th, 2019, 7:25 am

wallydubbs wrote:So there are 3 types of Potions of Magic Resistance, which I'll reference here:
1.) From Wizards of Morcar/Zargon- You find a small bottle hidden beneath a rusty shield. You may drink this potion when a spell is cast on you and you may then ignore the effects of the spell.
2.) Also from WoM/WoZ- You discover a red glass bottle in a shallow pit. If you drink the potion, you will be completely unharmed by the next magical fire attack to hit you, be it a spell or a Fireburst trap.
3.) From Frozen Horror- The potion in this small, blue bottle negates the effects of any damage-causing spell cast on you. Drink it when the spell is cast and you may ignore the effects of the spell. This works only for the hero drinking the potion. The potion may be used only once.

The first of these seems to be most effective, as it not only negates damage spells but things like fear, madness and command. However I'm not sure if this negates a Fireburst trap... I wouldn't think so, as it's not actually being cast on the hero.

I think you have pretty much nailed it with the above. Only 2 negates the effects of a fireburst.

As to the Wall of Fire, I have never really though about it, but I don't think it should allow you to walk through it. My reasoning is that it is not something you are allowed to walk through but must take or roll for damage when doing so. If this was the case, then taking the potion would allow you to walk through without taking damage. If you allow walking through without damage with a potion, then I think you should allow walking through without a potion, but with the risk or certainty of some damage. I personally will continue to play with no movement through even with a potion.

The Skulls of Doom is an interesting one that I have thought about before. As written it is a useless spell. Oooh, 2 dice ranged attack :lol: I also read the "like a Fireball" and thus play it with similar mechanics i.e. the caster rolls 2 combat dice, and defender gets one defence die against each skull rolled. This makes it better than against a normal defence, but not on average as good as a Ball of Fire. As to whether it qualifies as fire, I don't know. That is best left to the EW player in my opinion. I will count it as a fire spell as I see it exploding as a ball of fire would.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules