• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How do you handle Fear vs Courage

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: How do you handle Fear vs Courage

Postby knightkrawler » July 22nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

The Admiral wrote:I see Fear as reducing the base attack value to 1. Courage then adds to that. So in my opinion a basic Barbarian with Fear and Courage is attack 3.

If applied in that order, yes.

j_dean80 wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:Once again, Fear reduces to "1".
It, unfortunately or not, does negate Courage through its wording, if you want it to or not.

By your definition Fear overrides Courage no matter the order because it states a solid 1.

No, it doesn't. The 1 isn't "solid" as you're trying to shove the meaning down my throat here, it's absolute, as in an absolute number as opposed to a relative one.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » July 22nd, 2018, 12:10 pm

clmckay wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:
Users browsing this forum: clmckay, Gold Bearer, j_dean80, knightkrawler, The Admiral
:D Let's have a party, anyone got any drugs?
It seems like there may already be some in use.

I don't even begin to understand why this needs the debate that's going on here.
You're thinking of alcohol, cheap, nasty and harmful drug. Still fun though.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 22nd, 2018, 12:13 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
The Admiral wrote:I see Fear as reducing the base attack value to 1. Courage then adds to that. So in my opinion a basic Barbarian with Fear and Courage is attack 3.

If applied in that order, yes.

I would play 3 attack regardless of order. I see the logic of your argument for attack 1 with Fear after Courage, but as I only see Fear affecting the base attack value of 3, in my HQ world the +2 Courage bonus is never reduced by Fear. That's just my opinion; everyone is entitled to theirs.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » March 9th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Suppose the Wizard casts Courage on the Barbarian while he's fighting a bunch of undead, but then the Witch Lord (or whomever) casts Fear on Barbarian.
Courage was in effect first, Broadsword moves up to 5 attack dice, Fear trumps over Courage (because was cast 2nd), reducing his attacks to 1 dice.
We'll say 2 turns later the Barbarian gets a 6 to break the spell, but there are still monsters in sight.
Courage was never lost, only clouded over by Fear. Does the Barbarian still have 5 attack dice once he overcame Fear?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » March 12th, 2019, 1:31 am

wallydubbs wrote:Suppose the Wizard casts Courage on the Barbarian while he's fighting a bunch of undead, but then the Witch Lord (or whomever) casts Fear on Barbarian.
Courage was in effect first, Broadsword moves up to 5 attack dice, Fear trumps over Courage (because was cast 2nd), reducing his attacks to 1 dice.
We'll say 2 turns later the Barbarian gets a 6 to break the spell, but there are still monsters in sight.
Courage was never lost, only clouded over by Fear. Does the Barbarian still have 5 attack dice once he overcame Fear?

Yes

The accepted idea here seems to be that whichever order the spells were cast takes effect.
If cast on someone with 3 combat dice...
Fear then Courage = 3 combat dice
Courage then Fear = 1 combat die
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 12th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Jafazo wrote:The accepted idea here seems to be that whichever order the spells were cast takes effect.
If cast on someone with 3 combat dice...
Fear then Courage = 3 combat dice
Courage then Fear = 1 combat die

That's the right answer to a different question. Not what wallydubbs was asking...

I believe the question is "Does the Barbarian still have 5 attack dice once he overcame Fear?" obviously, if playing the 2nd ed EU interpretation of the courage card.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » March 12th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Yes, but let's not beat that dead horse again. I play courage with line of sight duration.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 13th, 2019, 7:36 am

wallydubbs wrote:Yes, but let's not beat that dead horse again.

I agree... So your question remains... If playing the 2nd edition UK interpretation of Courage (regardless to ones standpoint on which is better) does this mean the Hero would return to their boosted attack value after the effect of fear?

As written, I'd say, YES... but I'm tempted thematically to say NO. It's something I can't decide on until I read others opinions.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » March 13th, 2019, 8:15 am

mitchiemasha wrote:As written, I'd say, YES... but I'm tempted thematically to say NO. It's something I can't decide on until I read others opinions.

Wouldn't it be easier to say that Fear and Courage cancel eachother? I.e., if a Hero is affected by one and gets the other spell cast on him, both spells are gone?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 13th, 2019, 9:45 am

Maurice76 wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:As written, I'd say, YES... but I'm tempted thematically to say NO. It's something I can't decide on until I read others opinions.

Wouldn't it be easier to say that Fear and Courage cancel eachother? I.e., if a Hero is affected by one and gets the other spell cast on him, both spells are gone?

That could be another option, i like it.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules