• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How do you handle Fear vs Courage

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: How do you handle Fear vs Courage

Postby j_dean80 » July 22nd, 2018, 11:18 am

knightkrawler wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:Barbarian has 3 attack
Wizard casts Courage on him to give "2 extra" attack dice.
Now total of 5

Chaos Warlock comes with Fear at the Barbarian, reducing to 1.
Now total of 3.

Simply wrong. It reduces to "1". Not by "minus 2" or "2 less". "1".

You forgot to quote the most important part of my statement.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » July 22nd, 2018, 11:24 am

j_dean80 wrote:Think of it this way...

This?

j_dean80 wrote:The Wizards affects of magic aren't overridden by the Chaos Warlock who is obviously an inferior magic wielder. The Wizard's spell is still valid.

Or this?
If it's the second, this is pure conjecture and doesn't apply to the argument as it has nothing to do with anything debated here.
If it's your way of interpreting this stuff, go ahead, but it's bending and breaking existing rules.

The most important part of the quote is
"...reducing to 1. Now total of 3."
See, this is outright funny and a little crazy. Which is it now, 1 or 3?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » July 22nd, 2018, 11:33 am

knightkrawler wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:Think of it this way...

This?

j_dean80 wrote:The Wizards affects of magic aren't overridden by the Chaos Warlock who is obviously an inferior magic wielder. The Wizard's spell is still valid.

Or this?
If it's the second, this is pure conjecture and doesn't apply to the argument as it has nothing to do with anything debated here.
If it's your way of interpreting this stuff, go ahead, but it's bending and breaking existing rules.

The most important part of the quote is
"...reducing to 1. Now total of 3."
See, this is outright funny and a little crazy. Which is it now, 1 or 3?

The Wizard's spell would still be in effect as it said "2 extra" not adding 2. Again the wording as you mis-mentioned.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 22nd, 2018, 11:36 am

Once again, Fear reduces to "1".
It, unfortunately or not, does negate Courage through its wording, if you want it to or not.
Otherwise, Fear wouldn't have an effect at all, because its effect as worded would contradict itself, so...

The misreading is on a very basic linguistic level, so I don't know how to keep this up...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 22nd, 2018, 11:42 am

I see Fear as reducing the base attack value to 1. Courage then adds to that. So in my opinion a basic Barbarian with Fear and Courage is attack 3.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » July 22nd, 2018, 11:42 am

knightkrawler wrote:Once again, Fear reduces to "1".
It, unfortunately or not, does negate Courage through its wording, if you want it to or not.

By your definition Fear overrides Courage no matter the order because it states a solid 1.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 22nd, 2018, 11:42 am

knightkrawler wrote:OK. Apples, then.
(...Oh, I'm well aware I'll probably get a lot of flak for the style of this post, and worse, people will counter-argue my argument out of spite because I'll be sounding condescending now...)

You have three apples. These are "your" apples.
First, you're told to take another two apples from the basket. Now you have five apples.
Then, you're told to put away all but one apple.
You are left with one apple.

You have three apples. These are "your" apples.
First, you're told to put all but one of your apples back into the basket. This leaves you with one apple.
Then, you may take two apples from the basket.
You have three apples.

Two one-off effects applied in different orders.

The equipment/artefact card analogy:

You have two apples.
Daddy tells you you may replace those two by four different apples. Now you have four apples.
At the same time, Mommy tells you you may take another two apples from the basket at the same time.
You have six apples because daddy's and mommy's instructions apply.

Two or more permanent effects that at any given time stack onto each other, as per the wordings and grammar in the card texts - NOT because I say so.
This isn't out of any kind of spite and if we could keep it cordial (I know posh words) that would be nice.

You're two analogies are fine. My problem with your argument is why would you use one for equipment and the other for spells? With equipment it's obvious that your second analogy applies. To me that settles the matter, there's no reason why it should work any differently just because the cards have a different picture on their back, or because of duration of the effect.

knightkrawler wrote:Once again, Fear reduces to "1".
Then armour DOES negate shields and helmets, that's obviously not how it works though.

Edit: