Short Sword & Broadsword [NA / UK / GR Versions]
I was going through the equipment info in my core games (NA, UK and Greek) and spotted the following info, regarding the short sword and the broadsword.
I can't believe this didn't hit me before!
Any thoughts welcome.
UK Version
Short sword: Costs 150 gc. Roll 2 combat dice & allow for diagonal attack.
Broadsword: Costs 250 gc. Roll 3 combat dice.
Well, this makes sense. You wanna go for more attack power, you pay more for the broadsword. You wanna go for diagonal attack, you get the cheap short sword. Seems legit.
NA Version
Short Sword: Costs 150 gc. Roll 2 combat dice.
Broadsword: Costs 250 gc. Roll 3 combat dice.
The Broadsword is OK. But since the short sword can't be used by the wizard and since the barbarian, the dwarf and the elf all start with 2 or more combat dice in the first place...why would anyone buy the short sword? Seems like a total waste of money.
Greek Version
Short sword (Σπαθί): Costs 250 gc. Roll 3 combat dice.
Broadsword (Σπάθα): Costs 250 gc. Roll 2 combat dice.
Here we have quite the confusion. The short sword seems to have taken over the broadsword's abilities. The broadsword itself has the US short sword abilities while maintaining the same cost. No use for the broadsword here plus an extremely high cost. Greeks lost in translation I guess...
I'd like to point out that the above info are all official, not house rules or something. I fail to understand why would anyone go for the short sword in both the GR and NA versions. The UK version makes sense though.
What's your take on this matter?
I can't believe this didn't hit me before!
Any thoughts welcome.
UK Version
Short sword: Costs 150 gc. Roll 2 combat dice & allow for diagonal attack.
Broadsword: Costs 250 gc. Roll 3 combat dice.
Well, this makes sense. You wanna go for more attack power, you pay more for the broadsword. You wanna go for diagonal attack, you get the cheap short sword. Seems legit.
NA Version
Short Sword: Costs 150 gc. Roll 2 combat dice.
Broadsword: Costs 250 gc. Roll 3 combat dice.
The Broadsword is OK. But since the short sword can't be used by the wizard and since the barbarian, the dwarf and the elf all start with 2 or more combat dice in the first place...why would anyone buy the short sword? Seems like a total waste of money.
Greek Version
Short sword (Σπαθί): Costs 250 gc. Roll 3 combat dice.
Broadsword (Σπάθα): Costs 250 gc. Roll 2 combat dice.
Here we have quite the confusion. The short sword seems to have taken over the broadsword's abilities. The broadsword itself has the US short sword abilities while maintaining the same cost. No use for the broadsword here plus an extremely high cost. Greeks lost in translation I guess...
I'd like to point out that the above info are all official, not house rules or something. I fail to understand why would anyone go for the short sword in both the GR and NA versions. The UK version makes sense though.
What's your take on this matter?