• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Trap Disarming Error

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Trap Disarming Error

Postby Palindala » Wednesday April 8th, 2020 9:32am

Heroes on my table mark their searches on a plane dungeon sheet, especially to avoid wandering monsters. If they don´t do that correctly, I do not have mercy. ;-) So in the case described: wasted action, next please ...
Palindala

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jafazo » Wednesday April 8th, 2020 2:35pm

tasoe wrote:I think it's pointless to not mark a trapped square.
If a gamemaster does not allow something to be placed on the board to mark a trap, then any player can exercise his right to go out and buy a camera, photograph the board, move the photo to his computer (in his home), edit the photo on his prefered choice of photo-editing software, mark the square with an appropriate colour (red probably), print out the photo (if he runs out of ink he can go buy some, no rush), come back to wherever the game is played and continue his move, refering to his photo every time he has to move. There is no rule stating how much time you have to complete your move so you have infinite.
That goes both ways of course. If a gamemaster asks the heroes how many bp each one has, they should freakin' reply. I could have taken endless time to note all players body points and items for myself. The fact that they do it for me is purely to save us all gaming time. Any info should be free for anyone at any given point.

Not gonna lie, this cracked me up. Love it.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Thursday April 9th, 2020 6:58am

As GM I use the skull tokens to mark traps that have been discovered but not yet triggered or disarmed. I use small dice to keep track of lost monster BP's, which is much easier than a stack of skull tokens.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday April 9th, 2020 9:01am

Yeah, I give the heroes the option if they want it marked or not.
One time playing with my brother and cousins someone searched for traps and spotted one. I pointed it out, and it was right next to where the Elf (played by my cousin) was standing.
My cousin said, "Okay, I know it's there, but I feel very uneasy that I can't tell it apart from any other square..."
"Does this help?" I asked, placing a skull tile over the space.
"Yes." He answered.

There's also this one friend I've played the Japanese quests with solo. Oddly enough she only wants the ones in the hallway marked. There were times she identified traps in a room and easy walks around the corners of the room to avoid them...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Thursday April 9th, 2020 7:43pm

My group finds the game easy enough. They have to memorize the square or trigger it.

Since the game is 10 and up, memorization has been part of games since childhood. Enchanted forest and Memory are games for slightly younger children and are entirely based on memory. With technology people are using memory parts of their brains even less. There are not enough traps to memorize at a time in this game compared to games like Enchanted forest or Memory that younger children (my nephews) can beat me at.

While everyone can play how they want, perhaps you're making the game too easy. You don't need to accommodate all discomfort in life. Some discomfort builds strength. That's how muscles are built, adventurers are made into heroes, etc. Can't remember? Tough. You're not going to survive.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Wednesday April 15th, 2020 4:38am

Palindala wrote:Heroes on my table mark their searches on a plane dungeon sheet

I believe we created "Explores Kit" somewhere lost in another thread, something a hero buys, actually having a blank dungeon sheet for those into that, could be an good twist.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Friday July 24th, 2020 10:24pm

I've had heroes assume a pit behind the door, and jump that space. Into a pit, as there was no pit behind the door!

Always keep 'em guessing!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Saturday July 25th, 2020 3:00pm

slev wrote:I've had heroes assume a pit behind the door, and jump that space. Into a pit, as there was no pit behind the door!

Always keep 'em guessing!

Jumping into a pit... surely that has to be -2bp

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » Wednesday August 24th, 2022 2:03pm

The Admiral wrote:As GM I use the skull tokens to mark traps that have been discovered but not yet triggered or disarmed. I use small dice to keep track of lost monster BP's, which is much easier than a stack of skull tokens.

This is a GREAT idea, the small dice.
I always thought a stack of skull tokens is a clumsy way of keeping track of monster hits, especially when you need to move the monster, amongst all the other clutter on the board.
There are them miniature bases you can buy with hit counters on them, but again, hard to move on a crowded board.
The mini dice though, superb hack!
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Previous

Return to Official Rules