• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Incorrectly Played Rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby FainFlynn » March 2nd, 2015, 4:45 pm

Oh snap, and I am guilty of not shuffling each time they draw a card.
FainFlynn

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby the_nine_riders » March 5th, 2015, 1:19 am

FainFlynn wrote:

Am I correct in that all 4 warriors can search a particular room, to effectively draw 4 treasure cards?

The book says "a room may be searched by all 4 heroes, but each individual hero may only search the room once"

That is how I've always interpreted the rules, otherwise it would seem pointless to have each hero able to search a room
for treasure. The danger with doing that would be drawing the wandering monster card or hazard cards, so I think it limits
players from doing that too much.
the_nine_riders

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » April 3rd, 2015, 7:50 am

FainFlynn wrote:The book says "a room may be searched by all 4 heroes, but each individual hero may only search the room once"

We don't play that because a game would take heaps longer.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » April 15th, 2015, 4:41 pm

So mitchiemasha has pointed out that we've been playing the searching of traps and secret passageways incorrectly. I've been playing that they are separate searches which is right in the NA rules but they should be combined in the EU rules.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » April 15th, 2015, 7:06 pm

I've also just realised there is 2 editions of the Eu rules. This may have been mentioned before and i'd forgot but when checking the search rules today, I seen it first hand. Treasure cards in 1 edition are replaced in deck, in the other are not. There's more fluff in 1 of the EU edition too, i'd not noticed this before.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 1st, 2015, 11:28 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:I've also just realised there is 2 editions of the Eu rules. This may have been mentioned before and i'd forgot but when checking the search rules today, I seen it first hand. Treasure cards in 1 edition are replaced in deck, in the other are not. There's more fluff in 1 of the EU edition too, i'd not noticed this before.

First and second edition EU treasure pile card replacement was discussed in this thread.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » July 6th, 2015, 7:17 am

mistakes we made as kids:

You could remove your Plate Armor during your turn so you could roll 2 dice instead of one. Then it was pointed out to us your still carrying the weight so we just ignored the 1 dice rule.

I remember us implementing a Space Crusade rule that if a monster was attacked diagonally it rolled 1 less dice in defense, as their not used to fighting diagonally. I actually thought this was part of the game, but discovered recently it's not, but I know the Blood Angels have such a rule for bolters in Space Crusade.

You could search a room or corridor more than once for treasure, it's impossible to remember what rooms have been searched and not been searched so we let it go to save arguments.

The Wizard was always given Borins Armor and the Spirit blade as it was his only chance of surviving later in the game, it doesn't actually say on the Uk cards the Wizards can't use them. For some strange reason we all had Hero Quest, but only one of us has Wizards Cloak and Bracers equipment cards so we used to bring those cards along to games so he could defend with 6.

Another rule was if a player died, the monster who killed the hero would steal all his gold and equipment, then if someone killed that monster they'd get the items. If could be fun having a Goblin run like hell around the board trying to evade the heroes and trying to escape to the stairs with the players loot. :D

If anyone got the Talisman of Lore they could use spells. Basically the Elf had 4 mind points and 1 set of spells and the wizard had 6 mind points and had 3 sets. So if the Dwarf got the Talisman he had 5 mind points and could use 2 sets of spells. If the Barbarian got it he now had 4 mind points and could use a spell set etc, etc. 4 mind points = 1 set of spells, 5 mind points = 2 sets of spells, 6 mind points = 3 sets of spells, 7+ mind points = 4 sets of spells.

Probably the funniest of all is being only 10 years old at the time we didn't know what "fools gold" was, so after that quest the lads we trading WWF wrestling stickers for hero quest gold so they could buy equipment. "You give me 10 stickers I'll give you 100 gold to buy a shield etc, etc, lol.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 6th, 2015, 11:20 am

alyndavies wrote:
Probably the funniest of all is being only 10 years old at the time we didn't know what "fools gold" was, so after that quest the lads we trading WWF wrestling stickers for hero quest gold so they could buy equipment. "You give me 10 stickers I'll give you 100 gold to buy a shield etc, etc, lol.

haha that is hilarious! :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » July 6th, 2015, 1:40 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:
alyndavies wrote:

haha that is hilarious! :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWF-WWE-SUPER ... 1e9fef9fff

There we go, I found it, lol. :lol:
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » July 7th, 2015, 12:04 pm

alyndavies wrote:For some strange reason we all had Hero Quest, but only one of us has Wizards Cloak and Bracers equipment cards so we used to bring those cards along to games so he could defend with 6.

The cloak and bracers were introduced in the second edition replacing the duplicate helmet and shield.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules