Page 1 of 5

Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 8:32 pm
by Yochanan
Has anyone tried out, or come across any rules to play with more than 5 players? (i.e. 6-7). I don't know if the game would scale up easily (I'm really new to the game), but thought I would see if anyone has tried playing larger games under any conditions. We have a large board gaming group that I would like to try playing HQ with. Thanks - Y.

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 9:07 pm
by chaoticprime
For an entire Quest you want 10 BP of monsters for each hero, minimum. Each trap can count as 1 BP of monsters. If each trap and monster BP counts as a "point," most dungeons should have around 40 "points." Boss monsters do not count against this, however.

Each cluster of rooms should have 1/4 of the total within them or within nearby hallways. You want to group enemies by how many attack dice they have, counting traps in as one attack die. A basic encounter will have 2 attack dice present per hero, and a strong encounter will have three. If you want to further specify, subtract the number of heroes from the number of squares in a room, and then place that many attack dice worth of monsters.

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 9:42 pm
by GimmeYerGold
chaoticprime wrote:For an entire Quest you want 10 BP of monsters for each hero, minimum. Each trap can count as 1 BP of monsters. If each trap and monster BP counts as a "point," most dungeons should have around 40 "points." Boss monsters do not count against this, however.

Each cluster of rooms should have 1/4 of the total within them or within nearby hallways. You want to group enemies by how many attack dice they have, counting traps in as one attack die. A basic encounter will have 2 attack dice present per hero, and a strong encounter will have three. If you want to further specify, subtract the number of heroes from the number of squares in a room, and then place that many attack dice worth of monsters.


This is an excellent guideline for establishing quest difficulty. Would you consider breaking up the Heroes' turns with a Zargon turn? 6 to 7 heroes taking turns back to back could really wreck some shop!

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 11:33 pm
by chaoticprime
I reverse-engineered that from the base game Quests. I am super left-brained (70/30) which makes very capable at recognizing logical structure.

I have not ran with more than four Heroes in ages, but when I did, I ruled that only four could move between each of my turns. Only four figures can enter play on the first turn when you use mercenaries.

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 5th, 2013, 4:28 am
by Sotiris
If you run homebrew quests try the left-brained's suggestion :lol:, but if you run the original, trust the creativity of a right-brained ;) :
1. forget the 6 wondering cards stadard. number of players=number of wm in the deck
2. number of players=number of tokens for morcar. 1 token=monster drinks a potion (strength, defense or heroic)
3. with 5 heroes: draw treasure card when no secret doors have been found (only negative cards count, the positive cards are not obtainable in this kind of search so they return to the deck)
with 6 heroes: draw treasure card when no traps&s.doors have been found (same rules)
more than 7 heroes: try something else! 8 ppl cannot focus quietly on a gameboard and GM ends his day with headache!

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 5th, 2013, 5:53 am
by chaoticprime
Everybody in this forum just learned a lesson.

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 5th, 2013, 11:43 am
by Yochanan
Sotiris wrote:If you run homebrew quests try the left-brained's suggestion :lol:, but if you run the original, trust the creativity of a right-brained ;) :


This sounds reasonable. I'll begin with the original quests for the baseset, so I'll try out chaoticprime's recommendations.

Thanks, chaoticprime and Sotiris.

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 5th, 2013, 7:19 pm
by chaoticprime
See that, everyone? I can get along with others.

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 5:43 am
by TMU
chaoticprime wrote:See that, everyone? I can get along with others.

It is a MIRACLE! :lol:

Re: Options for more than 5 players

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 7:40 am
by Sjeng
it's the miracle of CHRISTMAS!