Page 1 of 2

Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 5:13 pm
by Redav
So, we've slowly been playing through the original EU quests and we're up the last two and one of the characters has coin coming out of their ears. Yes, I'd imagine that's an uncomfortable condition but it's the dwarf so I'm not surprised. She's been asking what's all this money for when they've bought all the stuff they need. I know that some of the rarer quests have mercs for hire but without going into house rules, I was wondering whether there was anything else they can spend their spoils on?

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 5:20 pm
by Count Mohawk
Mostly the gold is pennies from heaven. Once everybody has battle axe / longsword, chainmail, helmet, and shield, it's useless cash. Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord had an alchemy shop attached to the quest book for potion-buying, but otherwise there's no gold sink in the original rulesets anywhere.

In houserule-land, though... :twisted:

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 5:21 pm
by Goblin-King
As you said mercs, but also potions. All the US expansions has a page with potions you can buy at crazy prices.
And that's really that...

Other than that... focus your killing power on the dwarf!
Don't let her get away with accumulating so much wealth!

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 5:26 pm
by knightkrawler
Hookers. Beer. Cheese. Meth. Games Workshop.

Seriously... without going into house rules there's nothing.
Consult one of these nifty little tables and lists chaoticprime has compiled with tactics for the Evil Wizard player within the original rules. I have no link handy right now.

Other than that you have to houserule here and there. Make skills for them to "buy" (nice little goals to keep players over longer periods interested), spell upgrades, potions to be bought, a stealing monster (successful attack means it gets away with the hero's money pouch).
Start by only allowing 1 or 2 searches per room. This has been playtested, the heroes max out on game system equipment after Kellar's Keep, not in the middle of the game system if you take the right measures. get a second and third deck of treasure cards, mix two decks -> one with medium gold amounts and few dangers for the first search in a room, one with less gold cards (but the greater as well as the smaller amounts, by trend) and far more hazards for the second search. Make them use their healing potions.
...
...
...
There's much much more if you open yourself to houserules.
Oh, and hookers.

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 5:40 pm
by Goblin-King
The hookers can be acquired at knightkrawler's lawn apparently.

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 6:02 pm
by chaoticprime
I usually kill Heroes and take their stuff often enough that they continually must buy more--sort of just like how the game was designed to be played.

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 6:54 pm
by The Road Warrior
chaoticprime wrote:I usually kill Heroes and take their stuff often enough that they continually must buy more--sort of just like how the game was designed to be played.


That's not so easy with EU rules :(

Houserules and hookers seems to be the popular answer

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 7:39 pm
by chaoticprime
The Road Warrior wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:I usually kill Heroes and take their stuff often enough that they continually must buy more--sort of just like how the game was designed to be played.


That's not so easy with EU rules :(

Houserules and hookers seems to be the popular answer


Oh, yeah, duh. I missed the whole point of this made clear by the OP when he stated the rules-edition.

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 9:53 pm
by Redav
knightkrawler wrote:Start by only allowing 1 or 2 searches per room.

I'd already limited them to searching rooms once. :lol:

chaoticprime wrote:I usually kill Heroes and take their stuff often enough that they continually must buy more--sort of just like how the game was designed to be played.

I must admit I haven't killed them at all. With the WU rules it hasn't been overly easy but I haven't tried too hard to kill any. Came close though.

Funny story though, they did the 3rd last quest to get the Star from the zombie in Witch Lords barrow and one of the dwarf started going backwards and broke the seal. The others had gone the other way and I ended up letting them finishing the quest after I blocked the exit with the Witch Lord. He stood there laughing at them while they bolted for the stairs. :lol:

I'm thinking I might move them to vanilla US rules after they've finish the original quest book.

Re: Loaded

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 11:28 pm
by chaoticprime
Kill them. They're scum.