Page 1 of 3

Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 12:33 pm
by Blackthorn
Maybe this has been discussed here before, but I was unable to find it. I'm referring to this cryptic rule from the NA edition under "How A Hero Escaped Death":

"If you are a spellcaster with a Healing Spell, and you have not already performed an action on your turn, you can be healed by casting the spell on yourself."

This has always confused me, especially the part about not having already performed an action. First of all, why wouldn't the Wizard or Elf have perfromed an action? A hero is most likely to die during Zargon's turn unless a trap or wandering monster does him in. Does this mean they must cast the spell right away regardless of whose turn it is, or do they have to wait until their turn? If the Wizard is killed during Zargon's turn and normally goes last, would he have to wait until all the other heroes had their turn before he healed himself? If so, then the part about not being able to be saved by another hero's spell or potion makes no sense.

Has someone figured out what this means, or does everyone interpret this a different way?

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 12:49 pm
by knightkrawler
I think a hero is dead if he lasts one full turn of his with 0 body points.
That means after he is "killed" (which is, in most cases, like you mention, during Morcar's turn) all other players finish their turns (complete the round) until it is his turn again.
Then he may cast the healing spell on himself.
But that's his last chance. Until then, other heroes may try to give him a healing potion.
I play it that way, because I interpret 0 BP as being incapacitated - yet, the healing spell is learned for these situations specifically, so they still work. You know, casting a spell from the subconscious or something like that.

I am eager to learn other takes on that situation, too.

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 1:09 pm
by Blackthorn
I've always played it so the spellcaster has to cast the Healing Spell immediately, even if it is not their turn. I'm not sure if that's what the original rules mean but that's been my interpretation.

I go by the rules as far as not allowing other hero's potions or spells to save him.

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 1:28 pm
by knightkrawler
Blackthorn wrote:I've always played it so the spellcaster has to cast the Healing Spell immediately, even if it is not their turn. I'm not sure if that's what the original rules mean but that's been my interpretation.


It makes sense, at the very least. But do you allow that hero an action or just a movement phase for his next turn?


Blackthorn wrote:I go by the rules as far as not allowing other hero's potions or spells to save him.


That's a little too harsh for me. And the card text says "may be cast on any one hero, including yourself", so casting the spell on another hero should be allowed.
The potion, however, because of the wording, one can interpret your way. Which still doesn't make sense to me.

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 1:59 pm
by Goblin-King
Zero is dead. Simple as that.
That's how we play it at least.

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 3:05 pm
by Von Necron
House rule. Only dead if the wound would have brought them below zero. So if reduced to zero we call it mortally wounded, incapacitated knocked out whatever.

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 6:45 pm
by torilen
First - I would suggest that the wizard might not have gone yet if you group allows that players can "wait" to take their
turn after everyone else...even the evil wizard. I don't know if anyone else plays this way or not. I can't say that I have
for HQ, but have for D&D many times.

Second - I would have to rule against a no on the wizard saving himself from death with the healing spell. Casting a spell,
in my opinion, is not like the "free action" of drinking a potion that the rule book offers.

Third - I think I might agree with von necron that 0 would mean mortally wounded, and below 0 would mean dead/dying.

Just my :2cents:

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 30th, 2012, 2:06 am
by Phoenix
I play with rigidity.

Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf, Wizard and then Zargon, repeat.

If a spell-wielding character is killed (on Zargon's turn) the character gets the following options:

a. Can immediately drink a Healing Potion.
b. Can receive a Healing Potion from an adjacent companion and proceed to quaff it.
c. IF he has NOT performed an action on his previous turn (stood around with thumb in ***), he may cast a Healing Spell if available.
d. may cast a Healing Spell (if available) and then forfeit his next turn

It's a house rule. I may be bastiferous, but I'm not heartless....

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 30th, 2012, 3:20 am
by knightkrawler
Yeah, that's my way, too.
Of course, a character should heal himself already at 1 or 2 BP, but what if he has 3 and is taken all of them at once?
That's why I use similar rules to Phoenix'

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

PostPosted: September 30th, 2012, 10:48 am
by el_flesh
totally agree with phoenix.

As Beernut sez, the game is a representation of a dynamic battle. "Turns" are an artificial way to model it.
The Sorc can cast the spell, but uses his action for the next turn.