Daedalus wrote:I actually plan to use sectioned corridors, but the houserule in my last post is probationary; maybe it will be more trouble than it's worth. Both rules may be used together or separately.
If the latter houserule is to be used alone, Zargon should only disclose any traps (or secret doors) in the near half of the corridor before the unrevealed monsters, leaving the Heroes to assume the entire corridor has been searched. After a Hero "looks" down the double corridor, the hidden monsters are revealed and only then are the Heroes told that the remainder of the outer corridor requires a further search. After they learn how the houserule operates, they should no longer be cued for the additional search.
I have read through several different forum topics regarding this or similar issues, and unfortunately most work around leave other holes to be fixed. As for the corridors being searched it is a matter of a person's perspective, is one long corridor with another forming a T with it or actually 3 corridors that meet in a T. If you use the second perspective (3 corridor T) the entire board can be broken into well defined corridor zones where only one or two squares will fall into multiple corridors. Unfortunately breaking up the corridors in such a way drastically increases the amount of searches required to clear a quest, since some of the interior corridors are incredibly short. Another problem I have with the search mechanism for traps and secret doors is the assumed movement. The assumed movement seems to come about from another assumption that heroes can only find the traps directly adjacent to them, while I don't completely agree with this it is better than searches only being stopped by walls. If you take the adjacent to find assumption, it still doesn't change the fact that with this heroes will potentially find traps and single doors far beyond the area their actual movement roll would allow. Sucks when roll
. What do they do run back and forth their full potential movement find everything to find in that search, then go back to where they started and advance a much smaller amount? Makes no sense.Another issue is with the rules for searching and monsters, rules for traps just say no visible monsters, many say go ahead and allow searches with visible monsters. This is okay I guess, however I believe any and all monsters visible that have a path and movement value enabling them to reach said searcher be granted an immediate chance to approach and make an undefended attack. This would be considered something of a "attack of opportunity" caused by the hero try to attempt such a focused task in such a hostile environment with enemies present.
As such I would propose changing the search for traps and secret doors into a somewhat modal action. First the EWP and hero players need to agree to a search radius, stopped by walls and doors even if open I'll discuss thru open doors after this, I would suggest one or two square search radius including diagonals for the one square at least ( ie the surrounding 8 squares). During play at the start of a players turn, they say I want to search for ____ or I am searching ____, this starts their search mode. They then make make their movement role and proceed to move their character slowly in order for the EWP to indicate any discoveries just like how players are supposed to allow time for placing furniture and monsters on the board. Since this is more of a modal action, the search continues even if the player turns at a corner or intersection to go down a new corridor, what matters is the search area around the hero. This allows player to go around traps if possible in double corridors and continue the search without the poof found them all effect of the base rules. Hopefully this moving search would help offset the increased searches due breaking up corridors at intersections, since you could continue your search in a new corridor as long as you had the movement left. For those worried about low movement roles, the remake expansions made official what was probably a popular homebrew rule for some, a fixed movement for heroes when no monsters present. When monsters are revealed during movement the search mod automatically end, any traps or secret doors that come into search range at the same time monsters become visible remain undiscovered; unless the player wants to risk immediate undefended attacks.
As for allowing search thru open doors whether into a room or a corridor, I disagree with allow that due to fact the heroes are in a dungeon or castle. My reasoning is the key to activating the trap is the door itself only noticeable from the other side of the door, falling block or spear traps could easily be in ceiling blocked from sight till the hero unfortunately step thru by then it's too late. An argument could be made for finding pit traps, but I prefer to say no for consistency if nothing else.
Man that was long, but not too confusing. I believe it will play better than it reads.





















