Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!
Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.


Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!
Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.
Gold Bearer wrote:Trouble is you don't know whether they're going to be struggling or not. Waiting for them to come to you doesn't work as soon as they get a crossbow. If they need to use that tactic when they're struggling it means it's more effective so why shouldn't they use it all the time? What's needed is a rule that makes it only effective some of the time. That's what I tried to do with the doors modifying cornixt's simple suggestion, it might work.Patroclus wrote:As j_dean80 and Anderas said, use archers. Also, you can use custom mages. A simple goblin shaman in a corner with just a spell will make them get inside.
But fighting on doorways is not always unacceptable. If the heroes faced a hard encounter or if they are low on Body points they have a good reason to stay out of the room.
On the other hand, if the encounter is easy, they are full on Body points and still they don't enter, then don't engage in battle, let them come.
At last, it's a boardgame, tell them that it's ridicules. And If they still don't understand, then use more ogres in your quest, you probably need harder encounters.


No I can't, I would never add anything to a quest on the fly because that wouldn't be fair, I'm trying to kill the heroes to make it worth playing for them. I could of course put archers in when I make the quest but that's another temporary fix that put of the problem rather than solving it. I really think the best way is a simple rule that you can't shoot through doors because you wouldn't be able to hold the door open and shoot at the same time. Then if you want to mix it up you can have quests that don't have partially closing doors and use some of the suggestions in this thread.Patroclus wrote:You can use archers on the next rooms, when you feel that your players start to use the doorways too much.Gold Bearer wrote:Trouble is you don't know whether they're going to be struggling or not. Waiting for them to come to you doesn't work as soon as they get a crossbow. If they need to use that tactic when they're struggling it means it's more effective so why shouldn't they use it all the time? What's needed is a rule that makes it only effective some of the time. That's what I tried to do with the doors modifying cornixt's simple suggestion, it might work.Patroclus wrote:As j_dean80 and Anderas said, use archers. Also, you can use custom mages. A simple goblin shaman in a corner with just a spell will make them get inside.
But fighting on doorways is not always unacceptable. If the heroes faced a hard encounter or if they are low on Body points they have a good reason to stay out of the room.
On the other hand, if the encounter is easy, they are full on Body points and still they don't enter, then don't engage in battle, let them come.
At last, it's a boardgame, tell them that it's ridicules. And If they still don't understand, then use more ogres in your quest, you probably need harder encounters.
If it's more effective when they're struggling then it's always more effective and the idea for the hero players is to survive so you can't blame them for taking the more sensible option.Patroclus wrote:Yes, for sure it's more effective when they are struggling, also it’s very slow. As a player, I don’t like to use doorways because it’s slow. If I know we can clear the room in 1 or 2 rounds, why to waste so much time?
You could make the comparison with chess and bringing the queen out. Bringing her out is more existing and speeds up the game but the best way to win is to keep her held back. I don't want the best way to be the least interesting.Patroclus wrote:Honesty, it’s not a good idea to use the doorways. If you want to finish a quest in less than 2 hours, don’t use it, unless your group are cowards. In that case you can play monopoly.
1BP,
2BP,
3BP,
1BP,
2BP,
3BP,
4BP,
5BP. US
3BP, US
4BP.

Gold Bearer wrote: The problem in AHQ is that they didn't explain it.
I really think the best way is a simple rule that you can't shoot through doors because you wouldn't be able to hold the door open


Anderas wrote:Mummies using their bandages magically to pull enemies into the room.
Hm no


Patroclus wrote:also it’s very slow. As a player, I don’t like to use doorways because it’s slow. If I know we can clear the room in 1 or 2 rounds, why to waste so much time?


Which makes it all the more surprising that they didn't add one sentence to explain that rule.mitchiemasha wrote:The rule book is heavily bloated, they were never shy of detail.Gold Bearer wrote:The problem in AHQ is that they didn't explain it.
Huh? You can easily use a bow in doors, even if the bow is taller then the door, although that would be a tiny door.mitchiemasha wrote:The problem with a bow indoors, if anything, would be height, especially the height of a door archway. Another reason standard HeroQuest is so Great... it's a Crossbow, not a Bow.
I agree in general but you could argue that adding chaos tokens is far more of an outright change. Being able to do something that isn't allowed in the standard rules (unless there's an in game reason for it like an artefact) is just as much of a change as not being able to do something that is allowed in the standard rules.mitchiemasha wrote:Also... That is changing the original rules outright, as shooting through doors is specifically allowed. I believe the main rule to modding HQ is not to change the original but to add to it. like "lost weapons are found if the area is searched". The original rule still stands, the weapon is lost but if you search for it it's found. It still has mean to the game as monsters presence make it unsearchable, making thrown 1 shots per area.
Each to their own but it's a simple default setting that can easily be overruled in quest notes if you want to mix it up.mitchiemasha wrote:However, Quest notes overrule everything so in a Quest you are designing i'd have no problem with... "The doors in the dungeon are of ancient Solid Oak, no doors ever so grand, their weight is immense, they cannot be destroyed and need to be held open" No shooting, spell casting or combat through doors. I wouldn't agree to it being a standard rule.
1BP,
2BP,
3BP,
1BP,
2BP,
3BP,
4BP,
5BP. US
3BP, US
4BP.

mitchiemasha wrote:Patroclus wrote:also it’s very slow. As a player, I don’t like to use doorways because it’s slow. If I know we can clear the room in 1 or 2 rounds, why to waste so much time?
Yes... those players would be seen as cowards, it would rarely happen at our table. The dwarf would never stand for it. We might get a Hero Protecting the Wizard but most players i've played are hungry for the kill and fight to get at the baddies first.

I don't think it's cowardly, it's pragmatic. The idea is to survive, you could argue that the players that do that are getting into the game more and playing it properly. I want them to be able to find and use the most effective tactics without it hurting the excitement of the game.Sknks wrote:Yes, they are playing overly cautious. They go everywhere together. Search for traps and secret doors before taking a step plus the original issue. Partly I think they are over compensating for another player who since left who would walk through walls and set off several rooms trying to get back to the others and usually dying in the process.mitchiemasha wrote:Yes... those players would be seen as cowards, it would rarely happen at our table. The dwarf would never stand for it. We might get a Hero Protecting the Wizard but most players i've played are hungry for the kill and fight to get at the baddies first.Patroclus wrote:also it’s very slow. As a player, I don’t like to use doorways because it’s slow. If I know we can clear the room in 1 or 2 rounds, why to waste so much time?
I had an EWP who used a real time restriction, I wasn't a fan. In game time bares no relation to real time. I don't think players should be penalised for answering the phone or going out for a smoke.Sknks wrote:I'm thinking maybe a time limit might work as well, force them to play a bit more aggressively
1BP,
2BP,
3BP,
1BP,
2BP,
3BP,
4BP,
5BP. US
3BP, US
4BP.

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests