• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Keeping track of who has searched

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby Kitch1982 » January 22nd, 2019, 11:35 am

This might have already been said but in the UK version you can search a room for traps, treasure or secret doors. Is that not the same in the US version?
User avatar
Kitch1982

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 77
Joined: January 8th, 2015, 9:40 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby Maurice76 » January 22nd, 2019, 11:48 am

Kitch1982 wrote:This might have already been said but in the UK version you can search a room for traps, treasure or secret doors. Is that not the same in the US version?


In the US version, you search for Secret Doors and Traps at the same time. To be honest, that makes more sense to me and also cuts down on the drudgery of having to do all those different searches in every room.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 408
Joined: March 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby mitchiemasha » January 22nd, 2019, 8:06 pm

Kitch1982 wrote:This might have already been said but in the UK version you can search a room for traps, treasure or secret doors. Is that not the same in the US version?

Maurice76 wrote:In the US (edit: UK) version, you search for Secret Doors and Traps at the same time. To be honest, that makes more sense to me and also cuts down on the drudgery of having to do all those different searches in every room.


I prefer UK, mentioned many times here, with way too much over thought explaining why and, not just because it speeds up game play.

UK: Traps and Secret Doors are combined, Treasure separate.
US: All searches are separate.

Traps and Secret Doors are practically the same thing.

"look there's a crack in the wall"
"hmm those wires look suspicious"
"This flagstone is loose"
"This book looks a lot less dusty than the others"
"I wonder what this lever is for"

... SEARCH
"IT'S A TARP!!!"
"AHHHH A SECRET DOOR!"


All easily interchangeable.

A Treasure search on it's own is a careless quick snatch and grab.
You've seen something (what ever the card happens to be) and grab it.

... SEARCH
"Look a boot... A GEM""
"Quick check that draw... Jewels"
"There's some gold coins over there"
"There's a stash under this flagstone"
"Oh crap those bones just reanimated"


A Trap/Secret door search followed by a Treasure search is a more cautious Treasure search.
It takes more time, 2 turns or 2 heroes actions.

"Look a... Wait a min lets be cautious and check the room first"

More reasons for...
mitchiemasha wrote:"Treasure Search: A room not searched for traps, featuring a trap, will trigger the trap. Place the Hero on the trapped square, don’t pick a card."


And, why I support irrelevant placement for disarming. A Hero with the skill simply disarms a trap they find, as written, if performing a search action reveals a trap, you remove it. "You are the Dwarf. You are a good warrior and can always disarm traps that you find". With the Tool kit, the Hero removes the trap but has to roll to see if they take damage in doing so. The trigger mechanism could be anywhere, the very square you're in, any you passed during movement and/or the action itself includes moving to it and back again.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: August 14th, 2014, 2:05 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 11:19 am

I allow 1 search of each type per room (instead of allowing multiple searches if they forget, I just say they've already searched) or corridor (I am allowing, like the original rules, that you can search corridors for treasure too, not just rooms).

I like the idea of putting little tokens on the map (behind Zargon's screen). One for Secret Doors, one for Traps, one for Treasure. there should be some spare tiles, dice, etc. that can be used for that purpose unless you printed your maps really small.

I have my maps all in plastic sheets, so another option could be a mark from a dry erase pen on the surface.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7115
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby Kurgan » April 25th, 2021, 3:04 pm

I've gone back to allowing each Hero to search a room for treasure ONCE. Only need to search once for traps or secrets doors, but the question is what to do about corridors.

I have allowed Treasure searches in corridors, but should I allow 4 searches in corridors too, or just once? I hasn't come up yet. In the PC game they only allow 1 search (but they do the same for each room). I have enough treasure cards if they want to search, then I am inclined to let them search.

Dry erase marker on the plastic sheet (or light pencil mark on the quest book), or token placed. If Heroes ask me I will give an honest answer as Zargon as to whether they have searched it.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7115
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby iKarith » May 2nd, 2021, 4:02 pm

Kurgan wrote:I've gone back to allowing each Hero to search a room for treasure ONCE. Only need to search once for traps or secrets doors, but the question is what to do about corridors.

I have allowed Treasure searches in corridors, but should I allow 4 searches in corridors too, or just once? I hasn't come up yet. In the PC game they only allow 1 search (but they do the same for each room). I have enough treasure cards if they want to search, then I am inclined to let them search.

Dry erase marker on the plastic sheet (or light pencil mark on the quest book), or token placed. If Heroes ask me I will give an honest answer as Zargon as to whether they have searched it.


It's come up now! :lol:

:orc: *swings and misses*
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.


Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
User avatar
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 623
Joined: February 14th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Location: Portlandia
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby Kurgan » May 2nd, 2021, 6:36 pm

Yep, all hail the potion hoarders and high-risk treasure hunter gamblers!

I think drathe's treasure deck had 96 cards in it, about double what mine is!


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7115
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest