• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby Thrawn » March 22nd, 2012, 1:11 am

Zenithfleet wrote:
Sjeng wrote:I've read that the HQ gargoyle is actually a Greater Demon of Khorne, or chaos bloodthirster:
Pretty cool!



Goblin-King wrote:You are right. But apart from having the same visual design they really don't have anything in common.
The gargoyle behaves like a gargoyle, turning into stone and stuff. But maybe the gargoyle started out as a demon, but MB reconed that having a DEAMON BLOODTHIRSTER in their game, would perhaps be too much for some parents? Dunno, just a thought.


In the back of the EU questbook, the Gargoyles are described as 'stone statues of great monsters, brought to life through arcane rituals'. So I reckon the HeroQuest Gargoyle is a statue of a Bloodthirster. The Chaos boys who sculpted it were probably thinking "hey, we're gonna make this statue come alive, let's make it look real scary in honour of our dark gods".

...in which case, Gargoyles could actually look like anything. You could theme your Gargoyle to match your Quest. A Nurgle Chaos band would probably sculpt a statue that looks like a smallish Great Unclean One, for instance, while a Slaanesh band's Gargoyle would be... highly distracting. :shock:


That's actually a nice idea, and opens up a TON of miniature options. I actually painted my gargoyle to look like stonework. I could do that with about any miniature to make more by looking at it this way.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: February 9th, 2012, 1:39 am
Location: Bartlett, TN, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby Goblin-King » March 22nd, 2012, 2:48 am

Zenithfleet wrote:In the back of the EU questbook, the Gargoyles are described as 'stone statues of great monsters, brought to life through arcane rituals'. So I reckon the HeroQuest Gargoyle is a statue of a Bloodthirster.

This makes so much sense AND it's in an official book. This is henceforth official lore.

Also remember that both on Morcar's screen and on the cover of Kellar's Keep, the living moving gargoyle is actually made of stone. It doesn't turn into flesh and armor when in it's moving form. The stone just gets somewhat softer to allow movement, but also weaker to damage.

Back to my own initial question... I have thought about it for some time and think the most logical is to reveal it's form. Ingame its turn based, but if it were real the heroes would immediately notice a huge moving statue trying to kill them. So I would tell them.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby Nephew of Mentor » April 1st, 2012, 6:13 am

I think as far as revealing if it is stone, do your players ask "is it stone?" I would say having them ask that is a sign that they are paying enough attention to it to know if it is stone or not. I would say they could do this as a "free action". If they rushed the thing and attacked in the same turn they entered the room then I would just wait till they got done rolling and then let them know they wasted an action, which is bound to upset them because now they can't search for treasure. As for searching for treasure while the gargoyle is stone in the room, searching for treasure is sometimes one of the actions that activates the gargoyle, so I think it is required to be able to do so.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 337
Joined: February 20th, 2012, 3:22 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby Daedalus » April 1st, 2012, 5:18 pm

I like the idea that Gargoyles come in different, monstrous forms. The back of the North American Quest Book also describes them as such. I'm gonna pull a suprise, one day. :twisted: I too believe that they are best painted in shades of gray, brown, and red. I really like Mohpus' skin tones found in this Gallery pic, though I'd go with more stone-like weapons and armor.

The Marvel Winter Edition describes a Gargoyle under The Monstrous Regiment:

As they carried on down the corridor, they suddenly came across a huge statue, twice the height of Skullmar. The Captain of the Dead Host looked up at it. "What a splendid piece of sculpture. I don't remember seeing that before."

"Oh, that's not a statue, Wing Commander, it's a Gargoyle. Watch this." He moved toward the statue, was about to touch it, then stopped and turned back to Skulmar. "I'd stand back a bit if I were you."

As Skulmar retreated slightly, the Chaos Dwarf reached out and lightly touched the Gargoyle. It immediately came to life, cracking its whip, waving its sword and beating its huge wings. It aimed a blow at Milnik, who barely dodged in time. "Down boy! Down!" he shouted.

The Gargoyle calmed a little and stood still, growling in the back of its throat. Slowly it turned back to stone....


This somewhat campy, fluff-story exerpt isn't exactly rules, but it was published with the help of Steve Baker, HQ's creator, as an advisor. I'd say that makes the above narrative a good source for not only what a Gargoyle looks like, but how it behaves as well. So to answer the OP's query about "Do you tell if a Gargoyle is in stoneform?", they are told when they touch it. I'd extend that to any form of contact, even missiles and certain spells. Such contact affects a Gargoyle, immediately causing it to come to life and be revealed (also suffering damage if successfully attacked). Otherwise, it just appears as a statue.

Should the Heroes be allowed to search for treasure? Yes, unless they somehow contact the statue, and I'd say that's a certainty unless they specifically state they are avoiding it. Such avoidance behavior carries the risk of not finding a Quest treasure that the evil wizard could have noted just for that purpose. :twisted:

That's my take. Of course, a jerky evil wizard could require a Dwarf to actually touch it. ;)
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5328
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby Sjeng » April 2nd, 2012, 3:07 pm

Image
and even better:
Image
so cool :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby knightkrawler » May 25th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Sjeng wrote:I've read that the HQ gargoyle is actually a Greater Demon of Khorne, or chaos bloodthirster


Hi, first post. |_P

I think, the HQ gargoyle is the statue of a bloodthirster come to life through magic.
And if it's in statue mode, tell the heroes that it looks like made of stone and immobile until it moves or attacks.
Some role-playing there.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby el_flesh » May 25th, 2012, 6:08 pm

"A cold statue. Unmoving. Clearly not alive or even motile. But something about it seems off. It does not have dust, like the other items in the room. Something about it seems to hum from deep inside. It's nothing you can hear, or see. But there is something more than cold stone here."
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby knightkrawler » May 26th, 2012, 6:32 am

That's it, exactly.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby heroicbrew » March 11th, 2013, 4:47 pm

I run my game pretty tight with the quest book. I only give the heroes information if the notes state "you may tell the heroes..." I think it's more fun for them (and for me) to discover things like this on their own. I see the gargoyle as being made out of stone, so the heroes can't really tell if it's a statue, or simply a very still gargoyle :twisted:

I do know that whenever that gargoyle figure gets dropped on the board, even if just as a statue, the heroes get very cautious. They usually figure out that some action is going to bring that thing to life, so they get careful where they're stepping and where they search for treasure/traps.
User avatar
heroicbrew
 
Posts: 4
Joined: March 8th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby mikemacdee » March 29th, 2013, 4:09 am

heroicbrew wrote:I only give the heroes information if the notes state "you may tell the heroes..." I think it's more fun for them (and for me) to discover things like this on their own.


Old topic, I know...but I roll like this, too. I think a quest is much more rewarding and entertaining when the heroes discover things the hard way, rather than having Zargon spell everything out for them. It's way more fun when the heroes open a door, see a gargoyle, and flee for three turns before realizing it's not chasing them, and does indeed appear to be a statue.

And then they're paranoid for the remainder of the quest, wondering what foolish action will turn the beast to flesh and unleash it upon them.

And then they get to the end of the quest and learn that it was a statue all along. And I get stuff thrown at my head. But we all laugh afterward (well, I do anyway).

*based on a true story*


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior
 
Posts: 166
Joined: March 18th, 2013, 7:47 pm
Location: a desert
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest