• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Postby lestodante » October 19th, 2020, 2:11 pm

So they just posted an update for the new Orc Bard Hero and also revealed its spells. :?

Doug Hopkins wrote:The inspiration for this Bard was a swashbuckling orc hero. A team player who will propel the other players to victory. As with the Warlock and Druid, there is a condition that will allow you to recover a spell –Inspiring Tale for the Bard – that you have already cast.

You are the Bard. Your spirit and songs inspire and invigorate your allies. You prefer to stay light on your feet so when you are wearing non-metallic armor and carrying no shield you have 1 extra Defend die.

The Bard’s statistics and equipment are comparable to those of the Elf. While the Barbarian, Elf, and Dwarf might end up with plate mail and shields later in the game that doesn’t feel right for our Bard. I wanted to incentivize the Bard to follow a different route.

The Bard’s Unique Weapon

• Rapier
This long slender sword allows you to roll 2 Attack dice and may be used to attack diagonally. May not be used by the wizard. 250 gold coins

This weapon allows our Bard to attack diagonally from the start of the game. For me this highlights the character’s resourcefulness and allows them to contribute in battle in a crafty manner.

The Bard’s three spells:

• Inspiring Tale
This spell may be cast on any one Hero, excluding yourself. The next time that Hero attacks, they may roll one extra combat die. Regain this spell when any Hero you can “see,” excluding yourself, rolls two white shields when rolling Defend dice.

• HealingSong
You and each hero you can “see” each restore up to two Body points that have been lost but does not give a hero more than their starting number.

• Lullaby
This spell puts one enemy into a deep sleep so they cannot move, attack, or defend themselves. The spell can be broken at once or on a future turn by the enemy rolling one red die for each of their Mind points. If a 6 is rolled the spell is broken. May not be used against Mummies, Zombies, or Skeletons.

The Bard’s spells focus on helping the other players. I particularly like Inspiring Tale as it assists another player but when they have a spectacular moment on defense it’s the Bard who is moved to tell the tale (and regain the spell).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Postby lestodante » October 19th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Its weapons is a rapier, basically the same of a short sword from the second UK edition, 2 attack dice +diagonal attacks. Nothing new here.
Lullaby is basically a Sleep spell! once more, nothing new including how it works.
Healing Song is a multiple healing spell.
Inspiring Tale is a +1 in attack spell, but you can cast it on other Heroes only, not on yourself. Can be ragained if another hero rolls two white shields while defending from an enemy. So it will be regained very often I think.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » October 19th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Think this is a good start for a commander type character. (Ignoring all my "orc" problems.)

1.) Drop the defense thing and start 'em with a short sword
2.) Changing Healing Song to Bolstering Word: Have it restore 1 body point to another hero; and restores whenever a Hero the commander can see has at least 1 more undefended skulls than a defending monster has Body Points.
3.) Change sleepytime to Distracting Shout; a 1 turn stun that can be resisted if the target rolls equal to or less than their mind point total on one red die; it restores if the commander makes an attack that a monster doesn't roll a single black shield in defense of
4.) Change inspiring yodle to Strategic Command (just a name change, all mechanics work the same)
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Kurgan » October 19th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Good to see the Rapier is now "canon" in this version. Sure you can say it's the Shortsword from the UK version, but the in the USA, the shortsword didn't have diagonal (and our staff did only 1 attack, only the Wizard could use Wizard's Staff for 2 with diagonal) and we had the longsword for 3 (with diagonals). We didn't get the spear (throwable and 2 diagonal).

Now it doesn't say he can't give it to another Hero. In fact it doesn't even say another Hero can't use it (just not the Wizard.. and I say GOOD!).

Again, I WANT TO SEE WHAT IS ON OUR EQUIPMENT CARD LIST?

Oh, I get 1 extra defend die when I wear non-metal armor (Cloak?) and don't carry a shield? Okay, that's cool I guess that means I can carry a 2 handed weapon (like a staff... Spear, if that's going to be in this version... or Battle Axe) and still get the benefit.

The Healing Song (better name possible?) is pretty powerful. So he could heal the ENTIRE PARTY by 2 BP each all at once... He's a cleric! Maybe they're praise songs... (j/k.. maybe)

We need EL KABONG!!! (sacrifice your ability to use spells until you buy a new one for 250 gold coins... but it inflicts a big amount of damage, perhaps unblockable?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on October 19th, 2020, 4:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 19th, 2020, 2:34 pm

lestodante wrote:So they just posted an update for the new Orc Bard Hero and also revealed its spells. :?

Doug Hopkins wrote:The inspiration for this Bard was a swashbuckling orc hero. A team player who will propel the other players to victory. As with the Warlock and Druid, there is a condition that will allow you to recover a spell –Inspiring Tale for the Bard – that you have already cast.

You are the Bard. Your spirit and songs inspire and invigorate your allies. You prefer to stay light on your feet so when you are wearing non-metallic armor and carrying no shield you have 1 extra Defend die.

The Bard’s statistics and equipment are comparable to those of the Elf. While the Barbarian, Elf, and Dwarf might end up with plate mail and shields later in the game that doesn’t feel right for our Bard. I wanted to incentivize the Bard to follow a different route.

The Bard’s Unique Weapon

• Rapier
This long slender sword allows you to roll 2 Attack dice and may be used to attack diagonally. May not be used by the wizard. 250 gold coins

This weapon allows our Bard to attack diagonally from the start of the game. For me this highlights the character’s resourcefulness and allows them to contribute in battle in a crafty manner.

The Bard’s three spells:

• Inspiring Tale
This spell may be cast on any one Hero, excluding yourself. The next time that Hero attacks, they may roll one extra combat die. Regain this spell when any Hero you can “see,” excluding yourself, rolls two white shields when rolling Defend dice.

• HealingSong
You and each hero you can “see” each restore up to two Body points that have been lost but does not give a hero more than their starting number.

• Lullaby
This spell puts one enemy into a deep sleep so they cannot move, attack, or defend themselves. The spell can be broken at once or on a future turn by the enemy rolling one red die for each of their Mind points. If a 6 is rolled the spell is broken. May not be used against Mummies, Zombies, or Skeletons.

The Bard’s spells focus on helping the other players. I particularly like Inspiring Tale as it assists another player but when they have a spectacular moment on defense it’s the Bard who is moved to tell the tale (and regain the spell).

*At the HeroQuest quality control desk*
[reads the above character description]
"not on my watch." as he crumples up the Orc Bard and aims for the trash can.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Cael Darkhollow wrote:*At the HeroQuest quality control desk*
[reads the above character description]
"not on my watch." as he crumples up the Orc Bard and aims for the trash can.

Roll 1 white Die. Anything but :blackshield: and you make it.

Just turn him into a Cleric!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » October 19th, 2020, 3:40 pm

He is going to be casting 'notcourage' alot. We regularly roll multiple white shields...
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Fallensaviour » October 19th, 2020, 5:14 pm

From this day forward he shall be known as Pirate orc and not the bard!!!
At least in my games anyways and an exacto will slice that lute/mandolin string thing off his back.
While I’m at it his right hand will probably be swapped out with another orcs hand that is holding a sword.
Other than that long live Green skin the pirate orc.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 19th, 2020, 5:35 pm

I've tried to think of a scenario or game where I would actually use that figure (certainly not HeroQuest), and I just can't unless used as a passable Shrek figure. Is there a Shrek board game? Personally I'd rather have the musketeer cat Puss in Boots if we are going there. Guess it just sits in the box.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » October 19th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Why does he start with the rapier? It is really bothering me that he starts with the rapier. Why does it bother me so much that he starts with a rapier?
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Next

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items