• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Sparky's Stuff

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Sparky's Stuff

Postby StratosVX » January 23rd, 2016, 8:31 pm

I think this looks really great!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sparkymark » January 26th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Thanks for the encouraging replys so far.
I now have one of the 4 corner pieces built now and ready for a lick of paint. You will notice i have opted to build an external wall around the board. There are several reasons for this.
I felt the Heroquest dungeon would look more complete with an outer wall. Also this wall can be built onto the edge of the tiles, giving me a full 1/2 inch to jazz things up by adding features. Unlike the internal walls which centre on the tiles giving me just 1/4 of an inch.
A lot of the expansion quests start/finish with a door in the edge of the board so the outer wall also allows me to slide a door over. I flicked through all the expansion quest books and made a note of where these door positions are on the outer wall and this told me where i couldn't add features that would get in the way of the door pieces.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Figomurphy » January 26th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Fantastic stuff. Your making me look bad. It took me a year to get that far :) the outer walls look great. Keep the pictures coming.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » January 27th, 2016, 4:57 am

Don't worry Figo, its taken me about that long to get here. Plenty of weekends casting to get a nice stockpile of blocks.
Now i'm almost out of blocks again i'll have to start casting again. Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day as they say! :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » January 29th, 2016, 11:45 am

Another thing i've been trying to do is customize the Heroquest baddies. I never liked how the heros are individuals but all the monsters look like clones of each other, striking the same pose.
I started a year ago buying replacement mini's, mostly GW. Ebay has been great for this as i look for part used sprues etc. My first purchase was 4 Chaos Warriors, as new on the sprue.
I don't rekon to be as good a painter as the fantastic paint jobs i see on this site, but i have got to a level i'm happy with. Suitable for a family game of Heroquest anyway.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » January 29th, 2016, 11:51 am

Well they look awesome to me!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 29th, 2016, 1:58 pm

I like those paintjobs. You have every right to be content with that level. I like the fur and the armor, and the lighter leather of boots and gloves look great to me.
One thing though, and it's more important than being lazy about it:
GET RID OF THE FLASH !
Other than that, that's a solid gaming level with room, but no need, for improvement - if you want to. Courage and time are more of a factor here than talent.
I absolutely approve.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Showdown35 » January 29th, 2016, 3:46 pm

This is turning out to be a fantastic looking project!

One thing to consider before you get to it. The two small rooms (one of which is sir Ragnar's cell). I know many a board builder has encountered issues since this section of the board adds an extra wall. Since your walls are taking up a row of tiles, you'll have to figure out a way to work around this extra wall. Some walled boards I've seen have just left that wall out. Have you given this any thought, and do you have a plan for it?
It's like a new pair of underwear; at first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you. I have to go...

My HeroQuest Homebrew project site: http://www.showdowndave.ca/heroquest
Showdown35

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » January 29th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Admiral; thanks, the kind comments on here really give my confidence a boost.

Knightkrawler; your so right on the flash issue. I must learn to be more patient and not skip that step. I can see it would be worth it in the long run. I guess i'm so eager to see a miniature finished.

Showdown; i have given the small room issue some thought. I'm determined to have a wall there. I guess the guy who designed the Heroquest board wasn't giving much thought to the people who were trying to build 3d versions of the board 20 odd years later! :)

Here's what i plan. Every room has a 1/4 inch border around the edge, from what is left over from the wall tile. The small rooms will have to sacrifice that space in order to allow space for the extra wall. I could use the 1/4 inch fieldstone walls to create more space but this wouldnt match and i would have to make seperate door sections to fit. Below is a rough diagram, i know the tiles wont exactly be in line in the small rooms but only 1/4 inch out.

image.jpeg

Rewards:
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 29th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Sparkymark wrote:Knightkrawler; your so right on the flash issue. I must learn to be more patient and not skip that step. I can see it would be worth it in the long run. I guess i'm so eager to see a miniature finished.

I keep foregtting when my assembly lines get too long or the breaks between sessions are too long. But it's doable even after painting as long as the spot is not too elaborately painted. Have done it before and covered up successfully.

image.jpeg

How are you going to handle the moving issue when outside-room squares don't align 1:1 with inside-room squares?
Can any square border be crossed or can only the square with the longer shared border be moved into with one movement point?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics